ALCOHOL POISONING is a serious consequence of binge drinking. If you suspect that someone has alcohol poisoning, seek immediate EMERGENCY medical care!
WHAT IS ALCOHOL POISONING?
ALCOHOL POISONING is a serious — and too often, deadly — result of drinking excessive amounts of alcohol (ethanol). Binge drinking can lead to alcohol poisoning. The effects of alcohol depend on the concentration of alcohol in your blood (blood alcohol level).
How do you know if someone has alcohol poisoning?
Only a medical doctor can diagnose alcohol poisoning. Alcohol poisoning is often fatal. And, when it is not fatal -- it often results in serious health complications that can affect you for the rest of your life.
If you are not a medical doctor -- do not attempt to make a diagnosis about alcohol poisoning. IF YOU HAVE ANY SUSPICION that someone MAY have alcohol poisoning get immediate medical attention from a medical doctor!
What are some of the signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning?
Signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning may include ONLY ONE or more of these symptoms:
- Slow or irregular breathing
- Blue-tinged skin or pale skin
- Unconsciousness ("passing out")
The effects of alcohol depend on the concentration of alcohol in your blood (blood alcohol level) often referred to as BAC (blood alcohol content level).
Factors that affect your blood alcohol level include:
- How strong the alcohol is
- How quickly you drink it
- How much you drink
- How much food is in your stomach at the time you drink it
- Body size and weight
BLOOD ALCOHOL CONTENT LEVEL (BAC) CONTINUES TO RISE EVEN AFTER THE PERSON HAS PASSED OUT.
It is wrong and a misconception to think that "Well. The person has passed out -- just let them sleep it off, and they will get better!"
Both, a person's blood pressure and BAC can and often does continue to rise after the person passes out.
As the blood pressure and BAC continue to rise -- the person will experience an increased risk of having seizures, a stroke, heart failure, brain damage, coma and death.
Alcohol is a stomach irritant and may cause vomiting. It also affects your central nervous system — slowing your breathing, heart rate and gag reflex.
This increases the risk of choking on vomit if you're passed out from excessive drinking. If you suspect that someone has alcohol poisoning, seek immediate medical care.
Alcohol can also be harmful in smaller amounts -- especially if you use it in combination with any non-prescribed or prescribed drugs.
When a person has become intoxicated -- you can not trust nor rely on them to give you accurate information about how much alcohol they drank, or if they have taken any prescription or non-prescription drugs which can multiply the adverse effects of the alcohol. To rely on what they tell you could result in a fatal mistake.
If you suspect that someone has alcohol poisoning, seek IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY medical care.
You may also be interested in reading the related topics below:
Treatment Programs: Do you need treatment?
What are Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms? Can you die withdrawing from alcohol? — YES!
Alcoholic Self Test using the Big Book Description
What is Alcohol Poisoning? — Is it true that it is very often fatal and can kill you?
What is Alcoholic Liver Disease? Do you know someone that you think drinks too much? What is one of the long-terms symptoms associated with alcohol abuse and alcoholism. Here you can find out about Alcoholic Liver Disease.
What is Medical Definition of an Alcoholic and Alcoholism? — Do you want to know what the MEDICAL definition of Alcoholic, or Alcohol Abuse is?
20 Questions Self-Test - Are you alcoholic? Take this test and then you decide.
Rehab Glossary & Definitions of Terms used in Addiction Rehabilitation and Treatment