- 6 Months and Starting Over or "Just Starting"

6 Months and Starting Over or "Just Starting"

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

6 Months and Starting Over or "Just Starting"

Postby RobinC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:24 am

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. I just had to write again today and share where I’m at and my thoughts. I very wise man I trust once told me sharing is service.

I had one of those “ah-haâ€
RobinC

Postby Dallas » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi Robin,

Thanks for sharing.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tj » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:59 am

Hi, Robin,

Thanks for your share. Put away the stick and remember willingness comes first.

Manette
tj

Postby Changeling » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi Robin
Interestingly I am just starting over with a new sponser, i thought I was about to begin Step 4 but she has told me she wants me to go back to the beginning and read the doctors opinion tonight for discussion tomorrow.

She is really working me hard, and has made it clear we will not be moving through the steps until she is quite sure i have thoroughly understood each one. (a very different approach from my 1st sponser who only seemed to want me to read out loud to her and did not ask any questions to clarify that I had comprehension of the content)

Just finished my 90 days and looking forward to moving forward and gaining a more through understanding of the programme.
Best wishes to all
C
Changeling

Re: 6 Months and Starting Over or "Just Starting"

Postby garden variety » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:07 am

RobinC wrote:I actually questioned my sobriety and was it worth the pain so why not just drink

God how I love alcoholics! Brother if there is one single thing I can identify with inside and out, it's in that sentence.

By the way, that "thought" comes from what looks like the first member of your "committee" - the one inside your head. That committee member will always be there, and no matter what happens in sobriety, when your committee meets, he'll be saying the same thing "Let's have a drink". You see, the purpose of that committee is to over-analyze everything and to find the most complicated or absurd solution that couldn't possibly work in solving any of life's problems.

He's still there when my "committee" meets. I don't fight him any more. I just say "Thank you for that refreshing viewpoint - now let's get on to the next committee member."

(In case you don't know about the "commiittee", its that group of "folks" or voices in your head that wake you up at 3:00 A.M. with the need for an "emergency meeting". Some people call it "racing thoughts" but I have more fun thinking of it as the "committee".)
garden variety

Return to 12 Steps