- The difference in Taking the Steps and Practicing the Steps

The difference in Taking the Steps and Practicing the Steps

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:09 pm

I’ve heard four different tenses of “doingâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

step 3

Postby JR » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:18 pm

Dallas,

Thank you so much for sharing in such great detail about this step. This step is the keystone on which all else depends. You can't have an arch through which to pass to freedom without the keystone. If I don't practice this step on a daily basis for the rest of my life I will have little hope of maintaining sobriety, I know this for a fact.

Without this step, I'll just end up with a brand new set of old ideas and think I have it all "figured out".

So, for me, since I don't know God's plan (maybe he wanted me to have $200,000 instead of $2000) and I will always have free will, I have to keep it real simple. Just as you say, do the work, and then step back and walk through the day. Suit up and show up and do what is in front of me to do. And as you discussed in another post, act myself into right thinking instead of thinking myself into right acting.

The 12X12 says we haven't even prayed rightly. We had always said "Grant me my wishes" instead of "Thy will be done". We have not asked what God's will was for us; instead we had been telling him what it ought to be. As a greedy child makes an impossible list for Santa Claus we had asked for perfect security, prestige, romance, money whatever.

I love that the BB makes it so simple on pg. 85-88:

We CONSTANTLY remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done".

When we pray we ask especially for freedom from self-will, and are careful to make no request for ourselves only. We may ask for ourselves if others will be helped.

Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done". These are the thoughts which must go with us CONSTANTLY. We can excercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.

Bill W. keeps using the word constantly, hmmmmm.

Easy Does It????

JR
JR

Thanks

Postby Spiritman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:20 am

Thanks Dallas, enjoyed your message.
I learned and will sharing it with a group of fellows in AA in a local prison.
Thanks.
Spiritman.
Spiritman

Postby Dallas » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:07 am

Hey Spiritman! Great to have you with us. I read some of your other posts and appreciate your sharing. Keep it up!

Hopefully, you're on an H & I panel, or something, that gets to take a meeting inside a prison... and is able to leave after the meeting!

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Prison

Postby Spiritman » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:28 am

Yep, I visit the prisons these days. Over the past 30 years AA in our prisons here in NC has opened doors for many alcoholics.
I'm enjoyng reading the postings at Step12.com.
Peace,
Spiritman
Spiritman

Postby Angel » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:29 am

Hey Spiritman..My name is Angel..welcome to the site..So, glad your here!! My Husband did a lot of prison work. He said it was one of his best experience in A.A. He had to travel a lot of miles to get to the prison, but he did it and was so glad he did. My Husband has 25 yrs. sobriety and doing things like prison work and working with others..is what kept him sober..So, I guess it's true what they say, about working with another alcoholic..Great Stuff!! Thanks!! Angel :wink:
Angel

Taking and Practicing the Steps

Postby Spiritman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:31 pm

Again, thanks!

"The difference in Taking the Steps and Practicing the Steps," has certainly been fun here in Smithfield, NC. I have shared this with several folks... your message stimulates many in many ways.
Pax,
Spiritman
Spiritman

Postby Angel » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:17 am

Glad to hear from you Spiritman... :D Taking and working the steps in our personal lives..is survival and can be fun..Thanks..!! 8) Angel :wink:
Angel

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:59 am

what the steps are designed to do.

to slowly do what alcohol, and drug's did for us quickly. i look back on my drinking day's..... what i see was in the beginning, yea it was fun....clueless as to why i was enjoying it...
12 & 12 ### looking back in our own drinking history. we were alcoholic long before we knew it #### the fun, slowly, and i mean slowly..... 37yr's of it!..... turned into a living Hell..... the "CONCEPT" of a Spiritual Change is very simple one... but we are alcolholic, and fight it.... a simple deffinition of the word Spirit..." The Breath of Life ", or the life principal... the B.Book in There is a Solution. talks about a common solution that everyone of us has discovered...a "Design for Living"..... anyone that would like to STAY sober... suggest you read...the fact that most alcoholic, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. our so called willpower becomes practically nonexistant. we are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. we are without defence against the first drink... this is why, only by working the 12- steps. can we march down the road to recovery without picking up... or least have a chance..........................

all good wishes, and give only love......................... xxoo, RZ
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:12 pm

:shock: Am I dreaming? :shock: Am I alive? :shock: Is this for real? :shock:

OMG!!! I'm hearing about the BB & the 12 Steps!!!

THANK YOU ZIP!!!!

You have no idea of how happy I am to read that here on Step12.com!!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to 12 Steps