- Step 2

Step 2

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby KT » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Yea, def a power greater than myself had to be there for me to stop drinking. Thank God! As I approach another day of sobriety I owe it all to my HP and the steps this program so freely gives us. Not only do these steps help with abstaining from the drinking but they help me with my day to day living. These steps have made me a better person. My life has become managable and enjoyable. I have a new life and it is truly a gift to experience.

Thanks to all of you and the support from fellow sobriety brothers and sisters. And most of all...... thanks be to God.

KT
KT

Postby Sermon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey Guys....... I have a mind that wants to kill me, a body that can't get enough, and a set of feelings and emotions that get the whole thing started.

When I worked step 2 with my sponsor he pointed out some key points in the book which I would like to share.

BB Pg 46:

"We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.
Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make an approach and to effect a contact with Him."

The way that he showed me how to consider my OWN conception of God is he had me take a peice of paper and write down a list of traits for what I would consider to be a "perfect father".
To get me started he asked me if he would be:
forgiving?
understanding?
careing?
then he let ME brainstorm on how my "perfect father" would treat me.
I went on with a good list and when I was done he asked me if I had this kind of father could I become sane in his presence.
I looked at the list and answered "yes", and he told me that this is my
OWN CONCEPTION OF GOD
We moved on to step 3.
Sermon

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Right on, Sermon. :wink:

My sponsor did the same thing, just a little bit different.
Dallas
Site Admin

came to believe....

Postby sLiM » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:53 pm

that 'Sobriety' was 'there,' a Power definitely greater than my"self." that for a powerless drunk such as "i" who's life had become completely unmanageable, Sobriety could and would relieve my alcoholism and restore me to sanity once i made a decision to turn my will and life over to the care of 'God" as i understood him... sobriety

for me, it's that simple, my higher power IS sobriety, and it is found in the 12 steps daily.

*of course , i did have to over complicate things for a while to get here. lol
still do sometimes ;)

'have few desires'
sLiM

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:53 pm

I understand! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 12 Steps