- How to deal with being lonely through recovery

How to deal with being lonely through recovery

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:37 am

I believe that feelings of loneliness are one of the greatest problems that we face in sobriety. We must take actions to remove the feelings of loneliness and keep them removed -- if we are to live a long sober life.

Have you ever tried to feel lonely -- while not thinking about yourself? I've tried it and wasn't able to do it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby SoberBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Dallas wrote:I believe that feelings of loneliness are one of the greatest problems that we face in sobriety. We must take actions to remove the feelings of loneliness and keep them removed -- if we are to live a long sober life.

Have you ever tried to feel lonely -- while not thinking about yourself? I've tried it and wasn't able to do it.

Dallas

Thanks, Dallas- that is awesome advice!

I just finished up Step 7, and what I really learned in Steps 4 and 5 was that ALL I thought about was myself.

This reminds me of the need to think about others first and foremost and continue to pray to my higher power to "relieve me of the burden of self", like it says in the 3rd step prayer.

The Big Book has the answers... I'm so grateful that Bill W took the time to set it all down for us. Without it, I'd be drinking today and probably dying shortly thereafter.
SoberBob

Postby Dallas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:24 pm

SoberBob! I understand! :lol:

Great to hear from you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:35 pm

sober bob,i have to agree without the b.b.instructions.and knowing how to live a good life,i would not be typing now.a by product of good living is good living.
so everyday i thank god and bill w.for the fellowship,and inspiration that i receive on a daily basis.eternal vigilance is a priority.our sobriety is so fragile.
lenny

Postby SoberBob » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Been awhile since I've been here- got the autonotification on the reply to my post and figured I should check in!

Well said Lenny!!!

My life today, as I approach one year on Nov. 16th (God willing), is so much better than I ever thought it would be, and I owe it to my higher power, and am so grateful for the program and fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Without sobriety, I have nothing. With it, I have everything, as long as I follow the simple instructions and never rest on my spiritual laurels, as the book says. My sponsor's taken me through the steps, now it's up to me to continue to practice the principles of the program, and specifically steps 10-12 on a daily basis. As long as I do that, my life is peaceful and awesome. I don't want to go back to how it was without that.

I've got to make it a more regular practice to come here- thanks for the reminder today, and thanks for my sobriety!
SoberBob

Postby lenny » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:08 am

thank you for your life.in fellowship lenny.
lenny

Previous

Return to 12 Steps