- Bills Story and the Steps

Bills Story and the Steps

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Bills Story and the Steps

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi All,

Some weeks back there was a thread that went through Bill's story highlighting each of the steps as he did it. Someone even was so kind to put the page numbers. If anyone has that handy could they put it on again. I'll go through myself later in the week.

Cheers,
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:09 pm

I think it's here at least a couple of times. I remember once doing it myself and then someone else (sorry that I can't remember who) did an excellent job of listing pages and paragraph numbers. I'll see if I can find it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:15 pm

I think this is what you were referring to:

Bill's Story -- the Steps with no numbers.

http://www.step12.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=739

BTW: This is the same topic where Loosh also wrote about it.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:02 am

Thanks Dallas that was it. Have a great day :D :) 8) :lol:
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:36 pm

I was reading a different Big Book discussion board the other day and one of the members was trying to convince everyone that -- Bill and the early AA's were doing the Oxford Group program and not the AA 12 Steps.... because the 12 Steps had not been written at the time.

While this could be partially correct, it is still misleading.

Bill wrote that when he wrote down the 12 Steps, he was "writing down precisely what they had did and were doing" and the reason that he had 12 Steps instead of the original six steps... was that he didn't want to leave any open loop holes for the alkies to be able to slip through.

What the poster on the other board was trying to convince... was his belief that it was alright to take two years or ten years to do the 12 Steps.

Imagine trying to use a cake recipe... bake a cake, and waiting two years to combine the ingredients put it in the oven. :lol:

The reason why the 12 Steps work as a powerful formula to transform the personality "psyche" (as Silkworth referred to it) is because they are numbered and intended to do immediately one after the other. This produces the initial "Awakening" that is referred to in Step 12. Without this "Awakening" that takes place the spiritual progress with the 12 Steps can be very prolonged to the point that the alcoholic returns to drinking before having an opportunity to finish the Steps.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:54 pm

My own experience certainly can attest to this. The last time through the steps took me about 3 months. Could have been a bit faster but my sponser liked to make sure that his sponsees really had step one before going beyong that.

I had the pleasure of going through the steps once in 2007 and then drinking again but really it came down to not changing very much as things started going well for me to quickly and I got very sloppy very fast.

Early 2009 and a second trip through the steps and the desired change took effect. I was well into some good amends when the dam broke :lol:

Strange journey but at least I can share that point of view with guys I'm working with now.

From 1992 until 2007 I never got to far as I never did what anyone suggested. If I did start drinking again I just stayed away as AA seemed like a waste of precious drinking time when I did not have an intention to stop. I did always think that it would be good to go back again eventually and am grateful it was there when the pain reached the threshold.

I think thorough from the very start is the way to go :P

If one wants to avoid learning over a very long time the hard way 8)
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:46 pm

I think the other part of the way to go is: Continued! :wink:

I was a good starter -- but, I didn't finish very well. :lol:

Even after I went through the Steps there have been a few times that I sure could have used a big boot to the butt! That would have been better than all the pain and problems that I was creating for myself!

That line on page 83, "The Spiritual Life is not a theory -- we have to live it" is fact! If I'm not making at least some incremental progress with continuing -- I don't just get stale -- I begin to go in reverse.

For me, this is why I try to keep it foremost in my mind -- that I need you and all the others. I can't do it alone. God and I can't do it alone. But, me and God, and you and the others "we can do it!" I pray that I keep busy enough to always remember this!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Yes for sure. As I do some work with others I pick up THE book and do some high lighting and it is great.

I have said to the current guys I work with that I need to grow a little every day or I'm going back (at least spiritually and in behaviour). When I go back it is like putting the car in reverse and pushing the peddle to the metal. The results of course it doesn't take long to end up in the ditch. :o

I'm working with another fellow very very much like me and makes me smile. He also is hell bent that if it ain't in the THE Book he does not want to hear it so that's great keeps me on my toes. I'm greatful to have the opportunity to try and help and though it is sad on a couple of occasions he has picked up that drink for me so that I don't have to. :oops:

What a program we have here. It works if I work it that's for sure. 8)
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks Ranman! I appreciate you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Steps