- Having difficulty with Step 2?

Having difficulty with Step 2?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Having difficulty with Step 2?

Postby Dallas » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:33 pm

Step 2: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

When I first came into AA I had difficulty with Step 2. I thought I just wouldn't be able to make it. That was because I didn't understand what was being asked of me, to take Step 2.

When the following paragraphs were pointed out to me, in the Big Book, on page 44... the door seemed to swing wide open for me.

Page 44, Big Book: "We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself? As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeadedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built.

That was great news for us, for we had assumed we could not make use of spiritual principles unless we accepted many things on faith which seemed difficult to believe."

1. Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?

I had been one of those who "assumed I could not make use of spiritual principles unless I accepted many things on faith which seemed difficult to believe."

I had thought that since I didn't know what to believe in... I wouldn't be able to take Step 2.

So, that short question, of "am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" ... was enough to get me started.

I didn't know much about a Power greater than myself. I didn't need to know much about it. Was I willing to believe that there was a Power greater than myself? Of course I was.

I knew that alcohol was a Power greater than myself. It could do for me, what I couldn't do on my own.

I knew that my alcoholism was a Power greater than myself. It was doing to me, what I could not prevent it from doing... on my own.

I knew that life was a Power greater than myself. As much as I love to live life... I can't live without life inside me!

I realized that I already believed in at least three Powers greater than myself. I didn't believe that AA would work for me... but I was sure willing to "hope" that it would!

When I looked around me, and saw other alcoholics recovering... staying sober, getting better, living happy, joyous and free... I knew that they must have found something... that was a Power greater than theirselves.

Could I admit that "they" had found a Power greater than theirselves?

If they had found a Power greater than theirselves... that would mean that there is a Power....

Who was I to deny that such a Power existed? I couldn't even stay sober! They were staying sober. I wasn't very happy either. And, they seemed to be happy, sober, and really living and enjoying life.

Obviously, the AA's that stood around me knew something that I didn't know.

How was it, that they were able to do something, and I wasn't able to do it? Simple. They really had tapped into a Power greater than theirselves.

The question was simply "am I willing to believe?"

I guess, as I look back on it now... I was believing long before I knew that I was believing! And, I was willing to believe before I knew that I was willing to believe.

Then, I discovered, that if I was simply "willing to believe" I had already taken Step 2! With that done... I could now move on to Step 3!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Woodstock » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:28 am

Well, it became rather apparent to me that self-sufficiency was getting me nothing but heartache. I was extremely dishonest and full of fear, everything I did was motivated by "self" and the harder I tried to control things the more out of hand they got.

People in the rooms believed in something not seen but, evidenced their power in the way they talked and acted. I could see they had hope where I felt hopeless.

I struck with a frying pan in the head....I had to concede that either God is everything or he is nothing. I had to make a choice and the choice was going to set the stage for whatever direction I was to head. I could see something was working and it wasn't me.

I feel so grateful I made the best choice. Only by conceding was I able to move forward.

Thank you for being here,

Jim
Woodstock

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:56 pm

hiya wood'y... agreed. when i truly surendered, stop'd my self-seeking ways, realy turn'd it over. slowly, my life took a turn for the better. there was this way, that way, my way, and the way i never thought about. "God's Way"

all good wishes, and give only love................................. (_zip_)
Rusty Zipper

Having Trouble With Step 2?

Postby Jim W » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:55 pm

People that believe they are having trouble with the second step aren't. If a person is having difficulty with Step 2, Step 3, the inventory, the fifth step, or amends, or any of the steps for that matter, really isn't having a difficulty with any of the above. The difficulty lies in the First Step. If you've truly experienced the First Step, where else is there to go?
Jim W

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:43 am

So true!!!

Thanks for sharing. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 pm

for me, it was realy surrendering... not just admitting i was a alk'y, but accepting it, and all the flaws, defects, and dysfuntionality that goes along with it... yikes!, what a chore... and as i found out, yep, it is Do-able.

all good wishes, and give only love.... xxoo, Zip'y :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby wareagle10 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:30 am

Mr. Zip'y: Slight name change, but the same great person, HOWDY!! I found that surrendering was but a part of the process for me, acceptance of being an alcoholic was another part, but the biggest for me was that I had to accept my entire role in the matter. I was responsible for my condition, I didn't blame a God, my wife, a friend, the weather, or anything else. The fault and blame was entirely mine, I knew that I was headed down a slippery slope when I first noticed that I was drinking daily and earlier and earlier and with cheaper booze and dingier compadres. I have, and still have, a real big problem with the God issue. I find it a cop out to blame it on a deity or anything else. So when I got sober I felt it was also my responsibility to pull myself out of where I was. It would have been all too simple to have said that I now believed in God, and, had a sponsor, should I go back out I would have blamed them for not doing a good enough job. NO, it was my responsibility to accept my downfall and I was responsible for picking myself up, then there is nobody to blame but me.

I read the book, did the steps as best I could, helped others when I could or was asked. I also read the history of AA, I read the pamphlets that explained what AA was and was not so I had a better understanding of what I getting myself into. It is a process that is still going on today, for me. It's the only way I know that has kept me from taking a drink in 22 years, 8 months and some odd days. I do know that it works if you work it, regardless of the how.

Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:44 am

ah! Mr J, there's that word again. "How"..... How? Honesty, Openmindedness, and Willingness! again, do-able... :shock:

agw & gol......................................... xxoo, Rusty ###'s that Mr J?#### lol!
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:10 am

Thank you, Rusty. :wink: Well said in very few words!

"Yes, we of agnostic temperament have had these thoughts and experiences. Let us make haste to reassure you. We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God." Chapter 4, "We Agnostics", page 46.

Perhaps as you’re trudging this road of Happy Destiny… some day you’ll have the opportunity to meet with God face to face, and explain to Him the problems that you’ve had with Him. Wouldn’t that be awesome?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:43 am

Dallas, it shure will... maybe god will join the Conga Line too :wink:

xxoo, bless .......................................... Z
Rusty Zipper

Next

Return to 12 Steps