- How long should I wait to take the 12 Steps?

How long should I wait to take the 12 Steps?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby blueangel » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:14 am

Interesting subject, *the 12 steps*.

The 12 steps as I see them once they are done, become a daily checklist of our lives. We read them everyday so why not work them everyday! We can, if we choose, start the day off, or at any point through the day, start at step ten, but how do we jump to step 10 without doing steps 1-9 before that? As I see it, The newcomer that I may be, I personally can't do step 10 without doing the first 9 steps first.

I was told the BB is a textbook. As a textbook, the 12 steps are homework that need to be done everyday of our lifes, and have to start immediately. We are given one assignment from the textbook of the BB, and that one assignment needs to be done immediately, with someone that can do it with you, and everyday for the rest of our days, because once we are taught how to do it we can do it on a daily basis.

Why would any person that was sick and dying delay, or even want to delay treatment immediately for what they are afflicted?

I can only speak for myself in saying that I was and will always be a sick person with an affliction that was beyond my understanding, although as an intelligent person I have to and had to get help immediately or I would have died. I was dying yesterday but today I am healthy *joyous, happy, and free* since my disease is a chronic condition, with acute symptoms, I can treat the disease through daily treatment. I cannot cure the disease but I can treat the disease by working the 12 steps on a daily basis. If I don't work the 12 steps everyday, throughout the day, I will get sicker and die.

It's only a newcomers opinion *BUT* it is how I have to view it in order to survive this disease, and how I have to treat it. 12 steps everyday, throughout the day for the rest of my life.
Have a day everyone, Kay :D
blueangel

how long

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:40 am

wow, have i heard a lot of thought provoking shares! Dallas, hi! when first read the title of your post. the first thing that came into my mind was. "how long do i want to stay sober?" Dallas, i was like you. the bottom of the barrel. once i got a sober day. my sponser took me one step at a time. all total. it was a little over one year to take me through the steps. he did say in the early months. not to share on a step that i'm not on. he would say to me. how can you share on something that you have no idea what your talking about? he said just listen. well, as i listened to the people that did work that step. i aquired a bit more knowlage of what they meant. of course, i was projecting about what it was going to be like when i got to a step. the incredable thing was, that by the time i moved on to another step. my thinking process was of course changing. what i projected, was compleatly differant. the process of AA was in my life. i took the steps as was given me. it was The Power Greaters way of saying this is where you are right now, in life, in recovery, and in your belief in me. the growth i get in every day life, from all the steps is a ongoing progression. as long as the daily disipline remains. helping others, talking to another drunk, or addict, calling my ### not everyday, but when a little ants'y #### going to meetings, hitting my knees. and i might add that i pray in the morning with greatfullness. that i can start another day sober. and at night, with grattitude that i now have one more day sober, one day at a time. reading, and you all know my fave! Rule #62 ! my recovery was as it came. i realy did not fight anything, i wanted to live. what i do know is. everyones recovery is theirs. and that as i see it ### no i'm not writing a book called as Rusty see's it! lol #### it cant hurt to get the steps into ones life as soon as posible. the understanding of them will come, as will the growth from them will come.... only if we seek it! thanks for all of your shares, and thanks for letting me share. good wishes to all of you, and bless. xoxo Rusty, aka PC :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:30 am

Hey Rusty!!! Hadn’t heard from you in a while. You had me worried!!! I didn’t want to be in one of those spots where I had to yell “Hey Rusty!!! I need help!!! And, I couldn’t find you!

Take care, buddy!!! Always good to hear from you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

When are we ready?

Postby JR » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:23 am

Chapter 5 How It Works

If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then YOU ARE READY to take certain steps.

I've always found this to be a good answer to this question.

JR
JR

Postby walrus_505 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:44 pm

Old timers have told me that the purpose of the 90 meetings in 90 day was to work the steps. 1 step a week.
walrus_505

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:45 pm

hey walrus, welcome to the site. theres another i herd. thet it really takes 90 days for the effects of alkyhol to not only leave the body, but also the mind! so now that our mind is suposedly clear, now that were not drinking! here comes life, now what??? yup! the 12 steps! the design for liveing! kcb walrus, and thanks for shareing. God wishes, and bless xo Rusty ............ ps, hey there Dannysad! ... how you been? missed ya! :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby JR » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:08 am

12X12 pg 69 Delay is dangerous and rebellion may be fatal.

4th edition BB pg. 262 and 263:

"The day before I was due to go back to Chicago - it was Dr. Bob's afternoon off - he had me to the office and we spent three or four hours formally going through the Six-Step program as it was at that time."
JR

take the steps

Postby recoveredbygrace » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:06 am

how long do you want to wait to get well?
thats the question for me.
I took them quickly,and I suggest every alcoholic to do the same before they lose that "feeling of desperation" they have when they come in AA with.

I have been thru them 8=10 times in the last 14 months.They work evry way I do them,and the only way they don`t work in if I DON`T do them.

The steps work good if we go thru them several times a year to keep refreshed and up to snuff on them.
All this is just my experience..good luck

by the way,I`m Tommy and I am a happy sober alcoholic today...
recoveredbygrace

Postby Dallas » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:58 am

Welcome to the forum Tommy!!! Glad you're here. Thanks for sharing.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby crickit » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:49 pm

I have been thru them 8=10 times in the last 14 months.They work evry way I do them,and the only way they don`t work in if I DON`T do them.

You are so right Tommy, and welcome to the forum.

I found when you start working the steps they sometimes just start happening. I found I had already started making amend when I started the program just be staying sober and beginning to think clearly enough to make proper decisions...acting instead of reacting.

In fact just he other day and old freind reached my on the internet. She had gotten my e-mail from a freind that works with my hubby. We had an arguement way back, 4 years ago or more, and we just stopped talking. The arguement was really silly. It was at a time when I was pretty much looking for excuse to alienate people from my life so they wouldn't be able to judge me poorly. I didn't know that was what I was doing at the time but when I did my forth I found out that everytime I reached a difficult time with people in my life, mainly conflicts, I did the same thing every time. Instead of dealing with it, I ran from it.

I hadn't even thought of this person that contact me for years so she wasn't even on my list in step 8. I sent he a note apologizing for what had happened in that arguement, taking my responsiblity for my part in it, and she ended up agreeing that it was a stupid arguement, and not only did she accept my apology but she welcomed me back into her life. I know I can be a much better freind now, and we've been talking every day since.

I wonder how many others I haven't thought of when doing my 8th step. I've decided to take another members advise (sorry I can't remember who said it. Must have been in another thread) and just make a list of every one I've known and figure out why they are not it my life anymore. Then I will be able to do my inventory and figure out if amends need to me made. I have a feeling their will be a lot more amends then what I have thought of originally. I only listed 8 and they were members of my family. Not one was freinds that aren't in my life anymore. That should have told me something right there.

I just goes to show the importance of 'practising these principles in all our affairs'. It's a constant process of working the steps. I think I understand that even more today.

I am so grateful for the capacity to still be learning. For the first time in my life I can actually look myself in the mirror and be proud of who I have become....especially knowing that I have to tools now to become an even better person as long as I open to keep learning. Wow, what an eye opener.

Bright Blessings to All,
Crickit
xxoo
crickit

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps