- How long should I wait to take the 12 Steps?

How long should I wait to take the 12 Steps?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Angel » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:42 pm

Hi Tommy, WELCOME!! My name is Angel and I'm an alcohlolic/addict .. Hope to hear more from you..Your Friend in Recovery .. Angel :D
Angel

Postby JR » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:55 am

Crickit,

I liked that idea about writing down everyone you have ever known also. Great idea. I think it is in the thread "Why do they get mad when I talk about me" and it was a suggestion from Dallas sponsor on the 4th step. I told my sponsor about that one and she really liked it.

I know the older I get, my memory isn't what it used to be. I have forgotten really big stuff, good stuff, that somebody had to remind me about. I think that is one of the reasons why we're never really done. It's nice to have other peoples experience to give us ideas on how to jog the memory because I sure need it.

Love ya,

JR
JR

Postby crickit » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:16 pm

"Why do they get mad when I talk about me" and it was a suggestion from Dallas sponsor on the 4th step.

Now why doesn't it surprise me that it was Dallas. I personally think that Dallas should sponser all of us. His infinate wisdom never seems to amaze me.

And Dallas will humbly reply...'it wasn't my idea'. Well you are the one that passed it on so I am very grateful for that. It has been a tremendous help.

Geez; I will have to post an update soon. There has been so much happening to me...mostly good but some bad but you know--I handle the bad so much better these days. I will update you all shortly, promise.

Bright Blessings
Crickit
crickit

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:46 pm

Crickit!!! You're too kind to me sometimes!!! :lol:

Nothing original or unique from me... I either begged, borrowed, stole, or it was kindly passed on to me... anything that's worth repeating!!!

Keep us posted. We miss you very much when you're not here!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

How long? How long is too long?

Postby musicmode » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:03 am

Hi-d-ho-good neighbors! My name is Anne and I'm an alcoholic.

What I pass forward is, indeed, what was so generously given to me...the only wrong way to do the steps is by not doing them at all. And, what I've discovered :oops: just doing the steps, and not doing any of the rest isn't the way to go either..ALL these things, and with the backing of my new Employer/Director (God as I understand Him). He hasn't ever given up on me. I didn't know what I was doing when I first came in, but I was seeing and hearing--and I wanted what these guys & girls had...do the steps I heard...so-I was willing to do whatever it took, I began, without really knowing what direction I was headed in. I've slid in the ditch a number of times, and each time, I plant a marker so that if the same situation comes around, I'm aware..."over this or that I picked up, or replaced...and it's finally sunk in to this cement skull of mine...ALL the things I am supposed to do, I'd best do if I'm as serious about this as I say and think I am. My weakness is getting wrapped up in other people's spiderwebs--at this, I try to remember Tradition 10 and apply the "outside issue" part (apply in all affairs). I like that I've learned how to be accepting in this program, but I learned that acceptance in itself can lead to other problems (enabling, for example). What I can not have is the acceptance from another where--you get that pat on the head & and "oh that's ok, dear"...I need to be told where it is that I'm contributing to my own dilemmas, and I know that it comes out in my words...and I know that I will get that here (AA)...not what I should do, but..."do you see your part?" That, to me, is what the steps are for, so that I can see, through my own words--on paper--how twisted I seem to be becoming when I don't want to go that way. I depend on the fellowship to help me discover what I can not see myself. Thanks, and here's to another 24. Anne M.
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:17 am

Thanks for sharing Ann! It's a mighty-fine pleasure to have you here!

Just don't leave! We need you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:40 pm

Hey MusicMode!!!

As I was reading your message regarding the 12 Steps, and thinking of your background in music and sound, I thought of music as a metaphor for the 12 Steps. Imagine that!

Like a really great song that motivates, inspires, energizes, and brings about change.

The song first begins inside the Composer. It goes through composition. It usually has several parts. Once it’s finished enough to perform, it’s practiced, rehearsed and lived. Often it becomes a theme song. It gets transmitted to the hearts and minds of others, and continues to bring about powerful changes in their lives and in their world. Kind of like the 12 Steps.

Years ago, I used to write a lot of songs. Of the many songs that I wrote, I never felt like one of them were really finished. I always felt that they could have gone on and on and on, with new verses continually being added. Perhaps a metaphor of life could also be used for a song. A song lives forever, regardless if it’s on a shelf, in someones mind, or on a stage being performed.

Anyhoot... my .39 1/2 cents worth. (USD... not sure what it would be in Canadian!) :lol:

Enjoy the day

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

90 meetings in 90 Days

Postby Spiritman » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:08 pm

Mmmm.
I've heard this time and time again.
I don't remember reading it anywhere... except treatment center suggestions.
Years ago I had people asking me about 90 meetings in 90 days, they were all probation/parole officers and the men and women they were ordering to attend 90 in 90, hell they even sent a sheet of paper for someone to sign so they cold prove they were there.
90 in 90 is great, no if ands or buts about it.
But I believe the 90 in 90 came from the substance abuse treatment arena and the criminal justice system, not the the AA community. But then, I'm not everywhere all the time, so I admit that I am ignorant!
We live and we learn!
I live and learn too.

Peace,
The Spiritman
Spiritman

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:54 pm

Hey Spiritman!!! Glad you're back on the forum. I've been missing your messages!!!

I was hearing about the 90 in 90 in early 1986. I thought that it was a way for those who "didn't need the 12 Steps" to stay sober.

I dislike being an under-achiever in anything... so I did, for sure, go to more than 270 meetings in my first 90. I guess I could have complained that "well, maybe I went to too many meetings, and that's why I got drunk again" :lol: But, that didn't really make sense, even for a good excuse.

One could say that I almost died on the message of "Just don't drink, no matter what... and 90 meetings in 90 days." I heard it in an AA meeting, so I thought "well, what the heck... maybe that's the way to do it."

Then, my alcoholic-type of thinking kicked in with "If I have the power to just not drink... no matter what... then, why do I need all this God stuff, a Sponsor, and the 12 Steps for the Stupid ones?" (Is that what they call arrogant?)

After I had ended up drunk again, I couldn't get sober again! I tried. I thought "Well... just go back to the meetings and don't drink again." I would end up drunk in the meeting... or too drunk to find the meeting.

When I got a second chance at sobriety, I knew that it would be insane to think that what I did the first time in AA would work a second time in AA, in regards to staying sober! So, I became very willing... to go to any lengths to remain sober... even if it meant take to take the 12 Steps, get a God, have a sponsor, and all that of that other stuff that members who stay sober do... "between meetings!" :lol: So far... that seems to be working!

When I started doing the other stuff... like reading the book, taking the 12 Steps, God, Sponsor, AND the meetings... and a few other things... I was stunned to find that I was staying sober! What was even more amazing to me was that I discovered that I was HAPPY AND SOBER at the same time!!!! Wow! What a concept! Imagine that! Happy and sober at the same time!

My first time in AA, I don't remember hearing anybody say "Guess what... some of us have found a way to be HAPPY AND SOBER at the same time!" I think I would have been curious to know what it was that "they were doing" besides just going to meetings and not drinking!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

90 in 90

Postby Spiritman » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:20 am

Good morning Dallas and everyone else.

I'm grateful to be sober this morning.
Last night I went to the prison AA meeting, then to the meeting in town where a lady shared her story. Guess what came up in the prison meeting?
Yep, 90 meetings in 90 days!
You'd think some guard let the men know what we had been e-mailing about. Anyway, I explained that if I were in prison I could do 90 meetings in 90 days, no problem!
All it takes is two people... so a meeting can be held in a dozen places.

Peace,
The Spiritman
Spiritman

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps