- Step 3: We made a decision to change.

Step 3: We made a decision to change.

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:04 am

Our book indicates that “We thought well before making this decisionâ€
Last edited by Dallas on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby carol1017 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:22 pm

Dallas,

This is EXCELLENT.

I know many newcomers who have the same reluctance that I did about Step 3 -- turning my will and my life over to this newfound Higher Power that I didn't even really understand yet. I still needed time to get used to the idea of a HP and I felt I needed a little more proof that my HP existed before I could really turn myself over to him/her/it.

You are absolutely right -- this step is really only about making a decision to change and the willingness to do so. The "frogs on a log" parable comes to mind.

Thanks for keeping it simple!

PS -- mind if I steal this???? LOL
carol1017

Postby anniemac » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:38 pm

I'm with Carol, this is wonderful Dallas, and the timing is perfect as I am working with a woman who is just as stubborn and oppositional as I was (and still can be) :oops: . We had a wonderful get-together on Sunday breaking down and going over Step 2, and the way you've presented Step 3 continues to simplify the process. Mind if I steal this, also???
anniemac

Postby garden variety » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:29 pm

Hey Dallas,

You mentioned this in another one of your posts, but by golly is it ever important to the whole idea of step 3 so I'm sticking it right here:

Step 3 (original) : "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care and direction of God as we understood Him."â€
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:32 pm

Thank you for your nice comments. I'm blushing :oops: I'm glad if it will help anyone. If it will help... pass it on! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby carol1017 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Awwww Dallas, you look so cute when you blush!

GV, you made some great points as well about taking the 3rd step each day. I never really thought of it that way, but I have been doing it.

Usually, when I awake in the morning, my first thoughts are along the lines of "Good Morning, God. I'm Carol, an alcoholic and I'm gonna need your help today. Your will, not mine. Thanks".

As you can see, I'm not big on rote memorization of prayers LOL.

Thanks again!!
carol1017

Decisions, decisions

Postby Jan P. » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:58 am

Have to open my meeting tonight, and we're on Step 3. I like this list!

Jan P
Jan P.

Postby littlemiss » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:01 pm

This is really helpful to ME...I've printed much of it out today...:)

Ann Marie
littlemiss

I'm having trouble with #8

Postby schooner » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:56 pm

[quote="Dallas"]Step 3: We made a decision to change.

Our book indicates that “We thought well before making this decisionâ€
schooner

Postby garden variety » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:16 pm

I'm gonna go out on limb here.

I can't be the one to judge who believes in God and who does not.

I had a daily working realtionship with a God of my understanding for almost 6 years. Then I went back out drinking. Then I no longer had a realtionship with God for another 4 years. During that period of 4 years -

I worshipped money.

I was very lustful indeed.

I knew very few reactions other than rage.

I was very hurtful to anyone that crossed my path. Especially if I was having one of those "bad buzzes". I tried to hurt people and get into fights.

Now for the fellow with 32 years of sobriety, I was the type of man that you have said is not one of "God's pepole".

If it were left up to you, would you leave me there to die in my illness of alcoholism? Would you have to had seen where "I was coming from"? Would you have seen me like a certain religious man had seen me on the side of the road bleeding, beat up, and dying - and then would you have left me there thinking that I was someone not worth you're time to help? Or would you have been the "Good Samaritan"?

I can tell you exactly where I was coming from - "HELL".

I'm thankful that others in the fellowship didn't let their personal feelings about the spiritual value of a new man or woman get in the way of stretching out the hand of AA when it was needed. I am thankful that the men and women in this fellowship did not say "We need to decide if you're one of God's people" before they cleaned up my wounds and put me on their "horse", and sent me to a place where I could heal (the rooms and their homes), and offered me their money and food to survive when I had none. To me that's all part of the spiritual toolkit that lead me to a life worth living.

To me that was carrying the message by example, and not by design.

Plain and simple, I can't judge a man's heart, or his relationship with a Power greater than myself. Even that carpenter fellow you talk about said it something like this:

"It's not the folks that are well who need a physician. It's the ones who are sick."

He also said something like this:

"Let the man among you who is wiithout sin cast the first stone."

I have no business whatsover thinking that I know enough about right or wrong to decide who is or who is not "God's People". If I've done the third step, then it's not even any of my business. My only business is to make sure that I don't have the log in my eye when I'm trying to help the fellow with a little sliver who happens to be one of God's kids that has the illness of alcoholism.
garden variety

Next

Return to 12 Steps