- Step One – the most often misquoted Step of the 12 Steps!

Step One – the most often misquoted Step of the 12 Steps!

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby DiggerinVA » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm

sammie5643 wrote:okay, so I'm sitting here thinking that I'm drunk and not wanting to be, had a full week of being sober. Then, a hard day at work, my thoughts and car took me to the store to get a bottle and have been drinnking since Friday. How many times does it take to where this all hits me in the face. I know I'm a drunk, I know I need AA, but I know I want to drink and that is more important now. With me, never have I felt a part of anything, any group, being gay, hear Lambda isn't the place cause its so much like the bars, but I'm, drunk and I know that I need to stop, again, there's only one group that i've found to be weloming and they only meet once a week. Not enought for me. But, being me, only see half the picture. I very need/want to quit, but I wake up in the mornings and taste that vodkda.
Right now, the only passion is to sit on the couch and get durnk and have cocktails and waddle ir crag off tobed.
How many times does oit take before we wakeup and sayt enuff enuff. I'm just tired and worn out. I need to establhis a life w/o vokda.
I know what I need toedo biut it just seems tspo far away.

Sammy go to the group you like. Ask around for a old school sponsor. Work the steps quickly and daily. Your Higher power will carry you. The power is in God not the group. I know many use the group. But ask your higher power, you maybe surprised, I was.
DiggerinVA

Postby sammie5643 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm sorry, Digger, but I do pray daily, my faith in JC is w/o question, but it sdoean't seem tp stpe over into my behavior. I pray daily and ask for not onl his forgiveness but to give me strength. Its that styrength that eludwme. The simple fact that i'm fu*** tongitht is, wlell, I"n not not getting getting it. I"m lost, I need bt not geting and onlh geting any insight is from here. I now I need a sponsor and will maube but right now, i"m just lost. just ost.
________
Medical marijuana
Last edited by sammie5643 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sammie5643

what does it mean to be ALCOHOLIC...

Postby FORTMILL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

I have the MIND of a chronic alcoholic... No matter what happens, I ALWAYS return back to drinking. It may be a week, a month, or whatever, but of my own self-reliance, I always use to return to drinking. For reasons yet obscure, I have lost the POWER of choice when it comes to drinking. However intelligent I may be in many areas of my life, where drinking is concerned, I have been strangely insane. The inability to see the true from the false when it comes to drinking..

but sanity has been restored, and I have been in a recovered state for many years now, provided i follow certain simple steps...

kind of like having a broken leg as a kid, that has been recovered from the break years ago..... this does not mean I cannot break it again...

BIG BOOK PAGE 20...
If you are an alcoholic who wants to get over it, you may be asking, - "What do I have to do?"..... It is the purpose of this book to answer such questions specifically.

Go to a meeting, and ASK for someone that has had a Spiritual Awakening as the result of the steps of AA, and ask them for help.

:wink: :roll:
FORTMILL

Postby ROBERT » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:20 am

Keep drinking, sammie5643-JUST KEEP DRINKING
ROBERT

Postby DiggerinVA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:20 am

sammie5643 wrote:I'm sorry, Digger, but I do pray daily, my faith in JC is w/o question, but it sdoean't seem tp stpe over into my behavior. I pray daily and ask for not onl his forgiveness but to give me strength. Its that styrength that eludwme. The simple fact that i'm fu*** tongitht is, wlell, I"n not not getting getting it. I"m lost, I need bt not geting and onlh geting any insight is from here. I now I need a sponsor and will maube but right now, i"m just lost. just ost.

There is a big difference with Religion and Spiritual prayer. The Big Book teaches how and what to pray for. That is very important.

From what you have said you don't believe in Step 2 and are willing to turn your will and your life over Step 3.

Keep drinking and the pain will get you there.
DiggerinVA

Postby sunlight » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm with the guys on this one, Sammie. If you want to drink, then by all means, drink. :twisted:

Alcohol can be the best persuader that you may be an alcoholic, and it has a way of beating us into a state of reasonableness.

Nice to know though, that when you're ready, AA and we in the fellowship of the Spirit will be waiting for you.

Love & Light, Sun :D
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:21 am

Welcome to the site Sammie and FortMill. Thanks for sharing. I wish the best for both of you and I hope you find something here that is helpful.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sammie5643 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 pm

You are right, Digger, read your post and you are so right. I do believe in the power of our God but haven't turned my life over to him as we (I) understand him. The last couple of days since my last drunken post has been sober (2 days is good), read most of the big book and what stood out most was something about being resentfull, angry and jealous, wow, what an enlightment. Yes, tonight, i'm drinking, had a hell of day at work and of course needed an excuse as Robert said "keep getting drunk". But the more I read the more I realize that, one, yes, I'm powerless, yes, I'm an alcoholic, yes, I need help, yes, AA, is where I will get that help.
Something that I would like to know is the fight to stop. How many times does it take. Know its different for everybody. But, knowing I'm a alcoholic doesn't stop me from drinking and I seem to be making excuses to drink (not much of a surprise). I know that my failure to find a home AA group and a sponsor is nothing more than not taking responsibility for my drinking and having someone to be accountable to except myself. Someway or other this is gonna work, thank you guys for your feedback. I'm listening.
________
Arizona Medical Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by sammie5643 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sammie5643

truth about being an alcoholic

Postby FORTMILL » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:17 pm

Don't kill yourself in learning your truth. Alcohol is a great persuader, but make sure you see page 24...

If you are indeed a alcoholic, and have the mind of a alcoholic, in that no matter WHAT HAPPENS, at some point in the future you WILL return to drinking, and if you have the allergy of the body, then we get in that chronic/repeating cycle.....

For me, I ALWAYS went back to drinking, no matter WHAT happened. Kind of like saying I will never PEE again.... when the pain gets so bad, i will pee, then I will say, I changed my mind. I chose to pee. But I dont realize i really don't have the POWER of choice... I told myself yesterday, i was not going to ever ever ever never ever ever come back onto this website, yet here I am again...

Maybe like taking a bottle of ex-lax, and saying I will never use the restroom... eventually it is coming...

Remember, AA works for those that take the action and DO IT. I can want or need it with all my heart... but I still go back when left up to my own self-reliance.

It works, it really does, and has for millions of people for 74 years and counting :)
FORTMILL

Postby ROBERT » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:03 am

sammie5643, I did what you are doing for years, I just wasn't ready to stop and NO human power, which included me, could relieve my alcoholism, until I was willing to actually do something serious like work the program, which wasn't meetings or counslers or posting on web sites, it was getting a sponser and SERIOUSLY decide to go thru the steps as the book suggests, with the guidence of my sponser, THEN I recovered from this obssesion to drink, and I remain recovered, on a daily basis provided I follow a few simple rules-DAILY INVENTORY, PRAYER AND MEDITATION, WORK WITH OTHERS....steps 10, 11, 12.When your ready you'll know-until then, enjoy the drinking while it last.
ROBERT

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps