- Step One – the most often misquoted Step of the 12 Steps!

Step One – the most often misquoted Step of the 12 Steps!

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Kristie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:11 pm

This web site has been a God-send for me. Thanks to all for your encouraging help.

Dallas, thank you for the information that you gave me and the list of questions. I read the book answered the questions and I am convinced I am alcoholic and I can not safely drink one drop of alcohol. My body and my mind have the abnormal reactions to alcohol and this is what proves to me that I am alcoholic. As you suggested I also looked up the medical definition of an alcoholic and I passed that test as well. God has answered my prayers through you. I will be praying for you and the people that come here.

Peace out!

Kristie
Kristie

step one

Postby grateful1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:39 pm

I lost the only power I own, the power of choice, therefore my life was unmanageable
grateful1

Really ready

Postby ap » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:56 am

ROBERT wrote:when I was ready to quit, REALLY ready,(I conceded) hyphen, no hyphen, yada-yada I wasn't looking for ways to complicate things ANY MORE--thank you very much :wink:
:D

Wow, I have been sober all these years and thought it was because I admitted that I was powerless, believed no human power could relieve my alcoholism and that God could and would if he were sought... now I find out it is all beacause I was just REALLY REALLY ready.
ap

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:18 am

Wow, I have been sober all these years and thought it was because I admitted that I was powerless, believed no human power could relieve my alcoholism and that God could and would if he were sought... now I find out it is all beacause I was just REALLY REALLY ready.

Just?

Because you've been sober all these years -- Even though I don't know you, or your story, I would put my money on the bet that... "if" I did know your story... I would discover that:

You were REALLY REALLY ready..... TO

Admit powerlessness... came to believe that no human power could.. and that God could... and would... "if" you were REALLY REALLY ready..... to seek Him.

And, because you were REALLY REALLY READY... you did just that you sought Him! :wink:

And... this is why you've been sober all these years!

Am I close?

I know that in my own experience, I could not and would not... surrender, until I was REALLY REALLY ready to surrender. I kept getting back in the ring and fighting another round... kept getting beat up until I was really ready to admit to anything -- and do anything -- just to find relief!

I was so REALLY REALLY ready... that I would have admitted that a monkey's butt is blue and sought to kiss it for relief -- if that would have been the length I had to go to! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ap » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Dallas wrote:

Just?

Because you've been sober all these years -- Even though I don't know you, or your story, I would put my money on the bet that... "if" I did know your story... I would discover that:

You were REALLY REALLY ready..... TO

Admit powerlessness... came to believe that no human power could.. and that God could... and would... "if" you were REALLY REALLY ready..... to seek Him.

And, because you were REALLY REALLY READY... you did just that you sought Him! :wink:

And... this is why you've been sober all these years!

Am I close?

I know that in my own experience, I could not and would not... surrender, until I was REALLY REALLY ready to surrender. I kept getting back in the ring and fighting another round... kept getting beat up until I was really ready to admit to anything -- and do anything -- just to find relief!

I was so REALLY REALLY ready... that I would have admitted that a monkey's butt is blue and sought to kiss it for relief -- if that would have been the length I had to go to! :lol:

Dallas

Thanks and thank God the only lengths they asked me to go to is any lengths... and by being willing to go to any lengths, they meant the 12 Steps, not anything else. Being ready helped me as well as people like yourself being ready to carry the message. Not the ones that didn't know what the program is and just said " maybe your not ready". Understanding what is written is important. It's not over analyzing or Yada Yada... The 1st step is not 2 parts and it is not foolish to understand that or want to pass that on. Just because I don't want to drink, doesn't mean that I won't.
ap

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Right on AP! I'm with you 100 percent!

Thanks for being here.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Thanks to you.

Postby ap » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Dallas wrote:Right on AP! I'm with you 100 percent!

Thanks for being here.

Dallas

Thanks to you...for administering this site. I hope to be a rguler visitor.
ap

KEEP IT SIMPLE

Postby swoon » Sun May 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Arguing over a punctuation mark this is a waste of time and people are out there dying.

keep it simple
the best guide to the beautiful big book is the dictionary and your sponsor

if my friend were confused about this I would say something like this

1) lets read chapter three More About Alcoholism...

We learned that we had to fully concede to our inner-
most selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first
step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other
people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

2) keep it simple
3) is it worth drinking over?

peace and love swoon
swoon

Re: KEEP IT SIMPLE

Postby DiggerinVA » Tue May 25, 2010 7:40 am

swoon wrote:Arguing over a punctuation mark this is a waste of time and people are out there dying.

keep it simple
the best guide to the beautiful big book is the dictionary and your sponsor

if my friend were confused about this I would say something like this

1) lets read chapter three More About Alcoholism...

We learned that we had to fully concede to our inner-
most selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first
step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other
people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

2) keep it simple
3) is it worth drinking over?

peace and love swoon

I hear you. People are dieing. AA seems to forget this (it is said but sometimes I feel nobody believes it) I have a friend who will likely pass real soon. His wife was given the DNR paperwork last night. Two summers ago he was told about his liver and he tried AA. Got a poor sponsor. Showed up on my door about 18 months ago lit. He told me that he pickup so many white chips that he could play #####. Well he was closed minded at that point. He is in God's hand now, with just a few days left on this earth.
DiggerinVA

Postby Rain » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am

I don't know; I think that punctuation is important.

Do you ever skip ahead in a book to the last page and read it? Sometimes I do.

Know what the last thing is in the bible? A warning about the dire consequences to anyone who changes so much as a jot or tiddle. Jots and tiddles being punctuation.

I think this is important because people are dying. Sometimes because what is being "passed on" as the "message" of AA is a changed, diluted, different message.

Accuracy in the message of AA, because that message has kept alcholics from insanity and death is important.
Rain

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps