- Taken the 12 Steps? It was great. Now disturbed again?

Taken the 12 Steps? It was great. Now disturbed again?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Taken the 12 Steps? It was great. Now disturbed again?

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:00 am

The Experience “I’ve taken the 12 Steps! It’s been a wonderful Spiritual Awakening! It’s unbelievable! It’s wonderful!â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:06 am

Page 88 in the 12 & 12, Bill wrote:

"As we work the first nine Steps, we prepare ourselves for the adventure of a new life. But when we approach Step Ten we commence to put our A.A. way of living to practical use, day by day, in fair weather or foul. Then comes the acid test: can we stay sober, keep in emotional balance, and live to good purpose under all conditions?"

This is why we continue to take the Steps and practice them daily.

Step 10 is doing everything we did in Step 4 through 9, on a daily basis. The difference is: we are dealing with the day and with the moment. We do not have to go back into our lives -- we only have the day to deal with -- if we have kept up by doing Steps 10 through 12, daily.

We learned this process when we first did Steps 4 through 9.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

How it works

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:22 am

A paraphrased example of how to apply the 12 Steps on a different kind of problem:

Step 1: I'm powerless over the way that I feel -- my emotions have become unmanageable.

I'm powerless over (name), his/her (describe what they are doing) -- my emotions have become unmanageable over my obsession to control this person or the situation.

Step 2: Came to believe that God, through the 12 Steps will restore me to sanity and emotional sobriety.

Step 3: Made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care and direction of God -- by using the 12 Steps on my problem

My "will" has been my desire to control my emotions, and/or (... name of the person, principle or institution that has us disturbed .......), and/or (.....the experience or situation -- of the person, principle or institution that has us disturbed ........).

My "life" is the actions that I have been taking to try to control "getting what I want -- when I want it" which is the other person and/or (.....the experience or situation -- of the person, principle or institution that has us disturbed ........). WHEN I think he should be sober.

Step 4: Made a fearless and searching inventory of my resentments and fears about (the name of the person, principle, institution, situation or circumstances) -- and the harms that I could be causing him and myself and others -- with my obsession and efforts to control (....the situation, circumstance, person, principle or institution...) !

Step 5: Call someone (other than the person or institution that’s got you all nerved up) and talk about it.... (Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another person, the exact nature of our wrongs).

Step 6: Become entirely willing to stop doing it – and allow God to remove the obsession.

Step 7: Ask God to remove the obsession and help you to stop doing it.

Step 8: Made a list of all who were harmed by the obsession.

Step 9: Made direct amends to those who were harmed by the obsession.

Step 10: Continued to take inventory and promptly admit it -- when I discover that I'm doing it again.

Step 11: Sought through prayer and meditation (quiet time) praying only for the knowledge of Gods will for me (not God's will for someone or something else) and the power to carry out God's will for me (not the power to carry out God's will for someone or something else).

Step 12: Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of this course of action -- I continued to practice this course of action in all my affairs and all my problems -- and I will help others who are emotionally disturbed, by sharing my experience with this situation -- and the relief that I discovered by taking these Steps.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to 12 Steps