- Step 2 - "Came to believe..."

Step 2 - "Came to believe..."

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Step 2 - "Came to believe..."

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:14 pm

"Came to believe..."

Step 2: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves, could restore us to sanity.

Would you like to share your experience on Step 2, with us?

Thanks

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby crickit » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:36 pm

This one took a little while for me. I have always considered myself a very spiritual person. Always went to church and later in life temple and always believed there was a power greater out there. But instead of just trusting that I had to research. Always looking for answers. Trying to find some kind of proof or something. Something specific I could beleive. Then coming to AA I read 'a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity'. I started to wonder, 'if that's true, why was it taken away in the first place?' I studied the BB over and over again, asked tons of questions and tried to figure it all out so it would make sense to me. Then I found a sponsor and said ok, teach me. She just kind of laughed at me and said just keep coming to meetings and listen. Well I questioned everything that was said including everything she said. You know how it goes.....'well what about this' and 'why can't it be that'. She just kept smiling and said 'just keep listening'. Then she finally asked if I believe in a higher power and I said of course I do. And she said 'then stop trying figure it all out and let go. What an order. But my life was getting worse and worse by the day and I had to do something. The stress of trying to fix all the wrongs was just too much. So I let go. I prayed and prayed for peace of mind. Well after a while I started hearing what was being said in meetings like it had never been said before. Things started happening. I started feeling less stressed and more focused. Nothing in my life changed for the better, in fact some things got worse but somehow I just knew that it had to happen that way. I was no longer in control (I hadn't done such a good job anyway).

So for me (because I always have to do things differently LOL) I did step 3 before step 2. As soon as I turned my will and my life over to the care of my higher power, I was able to believe beyond a shadow of a doubt. I've never been really good at blind faith but in this case it's what I had to do. I do find myself slipping back into my old ways sometimes but not for very long. The key for me is deciding whether it's my inventory or someone elses. If there is something I can do to make things better I do but not at the expense of the other persons will. I don't let the trials of daily living get to me anymore. I try to make the best out of every situation. Some call it self preservation but I choose to be happy and content. So no matter how bad a situation gets, I try to look for the possitive. I also allow myself to be sad now without thinking it's the end of the world.

So I guess I've answered for both step 2 & 3 here. Sorry I get so long winded LOL.

HAPPY 24 HOURS
Crickit
crickit

Step 2. Came to believe...

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:29 am

Step 2. Came to believe...

A very well educated, intellectual prospect for AA recently told me “I just can’t swallow the God thing, nor the Higher Power thing! I believe in science and I can’t make myself believe in something I can’t see and touch, and I can’t believe in something that I can’t explain!â€
Dallas
Site Admin

step two

Postby Rusty Zipper » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:40 am

i truly believe that when i was born. i wasnt put together properly. kind of wired wrong, short circuts here, and there. my thinking process was all over the place. couldnt stay focused, my mind would wander. at times i would drift off into another space, another realm as i now can call it.! ... as i have said before, i believe that i came into the rooms on step-2! when i had reached the bottom. had no hope, no will to live anymore. one day had come. the day i reached out, and asked for help. what made me reach out "that day?" why, why, i had wondered? for the longest of times, i had admitted to myself, and yes others. that i was an alcoholic. im talking years. to keep this short as possible. the day came when i found my way into the rooms of AA. i remember wanting another chance for life. many, many times i had prayed to something that i had no idea of what i was praying to. what grabed a hold of me, and said Patrick, the time is "Now, or never" i had felt the feeling of insanity for way too many years. the big problem was that i had my booze, and drugs to walk me through it, they were my Power Greater Than. as time went on, and i finaly got a sober day, and a sober two days, and a sober three days. and then a week, then a month. the fog of years of abuse was starting to lift. without my even realizing it. i was starting to build a faith. i also was starting to learn about this thing called selfwill. step two certantly was showing me my alcoholic behaviors. admiting i was powerless was a great start. but the activities of the mind, were the start of my search for the spirit. coming to believe that there was a power greater than me, came quick for me. in fact at this point, just about anything was greater than me. a 4 year old kid could of run my life better.... i had come into the rooms compleaty willing for my second chance at life. why i even self-detoxed, and i do not recomend it to anyone. unless they are willing to "Die"for one day of sobriety. look for my lost faith i was asked. well i never had any. interesting enough. as a child,i had a italian granny, who always had this thing called faith. i remember going to church with her, and was amazed at how into this she was. well, granny passed on about two months ago. at the ripe young age of one hundred, and three. yup, thats 103 !!! .. i had said that i was on a soul vacation for many, many years. now that i have 2 1/2 years clean, i look back at why i believe that i came into the rooms on step two. well you see. i believe that it was the faith that my granny had. and her faith was burried deep within me for all these years. it took The Power Greater than my self to open up the door of willingness. i know have a faith that has been tested on many , many occasions. "thats step-3" i now have sanity, and we all the time make jokes about there aint an alky out there thats sane. i do know, that when i am working my program properly. i have an inner piece that my dear old Granny had. that women went through the depression, both world wars, lost many family, and friends over 103 yrs on this planet. was faced with many physical problems, and on...the thing i remember most about Granny. she always had a thing called "Grace" through these rooms, the program, and everything, and everyone who is a part of AA. i know have a thing called grace. for me, thats "Sanity" i would just to say i would like to thank The Power Greater Than! ... and all the friends of Bill W! for restoring me to sanity, or at the least, some sanity! lol :wink: xoxo you all Rusty, and Dallas a special PC thanks to you ... creation; the moon, the stars, the plants, the animals. everything is perfect the way it is. put me in the creation, without the ability to judge. everything is as it should. im, just one among many
Rusty Zipper

Asking something for nothing

Postby JR » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:39 pm

Step two is a process of coming to believe as a result of working all of AA's 12 steps. Step 12 tells me that I have a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps. Faith without works is dead.

Pg. 32 12X12 on Step 2 - The fact was we really hadn't cleaned house so that the grace of God could enter us and expel the obsession. In no deep or meaningful sense had we ever taken stock of ourselves, made amends to those we had harmed or freely given to any other human being without any demand for reward. We had not even prayed rightly. We had always said, "Grant me my wishes" instead of "Thy will be done". The love of God and man we understood not at all. Therefore we remained self-deceived, and so incapable of receiving enough grace to restore us to sanity.

No alcoholic soberly analyzing his destructive behavior, whether the destruction fell on the dining-room furniture or his own moral fiber, can claim "soundness of mind" for himself.

So, I guess I don't get to be restored to sanity by a belief in a Power Greater than myself or by simply praying to that power or by offering my will and my life to that power. I must continue with all the action steps for my head to be cleaned out enough to receive God's grace and then continue those actions on a daily basis for the rest of my life with no vacations.

I have experienced the feeling I now have before. I feel pretty good, but I know that God gives us a break while we are honestly making progress with the steps. But I know all the steps must be done before any real progress is made.

I'm not leaving,

JR
JR

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:43 pm

Hey JR,

I sure hope you don't leave!!! I need people like you in my life!

Thanks for the awesome sharing on Step 2.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Just another inventory

Postby JR » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:04 am

The main object of the BB is to (pg 45) enable me to find a Power greater than myself which will solve my problem. But, that Power eludes me until I begin to look at myself, in depth, and begin to clear away the garbage.

The BB starts with a fairly simple inventory in step one where I inventory my drinking history and come to realize that I am an alcoholic and my life is unmanageable. Another level of "housecleaning" occurs in step two where I inventory my beliefs and begin to develop my own conception of God.

The other inventory in step two is "am I insane"? Insane is a strong word, but step 2 promises a restoration to sanity therefore I must be insane or lack soundness of mind. Some of the symptoms of insanity aka untreated alcoholism are on BB pg. 52 so I ask myself these questions to inventory my soundness of mind:

1. Am I having trouble with personal relationships?
2. Can I control my emotional nature?
3. Am I a prey to misery and depression?
4. Can I make a living (am I self-supporting through my own contributions)?
5. Do I have feelings of uselessness?
6. Am I full of fear?
7. Am I unhappy?
8. Am I of real help to other people?

If a simple reliance upon the Spirit of the Universe will solve these problems, then faith is absolutely worth a try.

Where do I find that Power? The BB had the answer to that question too on pg. 55 - God is within me.

Easy Does It,

JR
JR

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:56 am

Thank you JR.

Very insightful sharing out of the Big Book!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:53 pm

JR, bring with you what you just wrote, into the world. and you have a real good shot. go JR! .... funny story. on trip to Georgia. leav'n the state i mentioned something from the BB. recovery buddie turned to me and said " Patrick, if you say one more thing from the BB, i gunna shove it up your ass'a :lol: ........................... we both try to live by that book tho. hey Dallas, a bit more time. and i might become Mr BB jr. :wink: see all, and bless xoxo PC
Rusty Zipper

Emotional Sobriety

Postby JR » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:07 am

Rusty,

You are so right about bringing the principles into action.

In The Language of the Heart pg 236-238 there is a copy of a letter written by Bill W. that discusses this very topic. It was written in 1958 when Bill had many years of sobriety and he admits to continual suffering from depression even as recently as the previous autumn. I'll just share a small part of it:

"How to translate a right mental conviction into a right emotional result, and so into easy, happy and good living - well, that's not only the neurotic's problem, it's the problem of life itself for all of us who have got to the point of real willingness to hew to right principles in all our affairs.

Even then, as we hew away, peace and joy may still elude us. That's the place so many of us AA oldsters have come to. And it's a hell of a spot, literally. How shall our unconscious - from which so many of our fears, compulsions, and phony aspirations still stream - be brought into line with what we actually believe, know and want! How to convince our dumb, raging and hidden Mr. Hyde becomes our main task".

How to turn a right thought into a right action? The 12 steps, of course, you say. Then what is Bill W. talking about? Obviously this was a man who was very familiar with the 12 step process. Does the Broad Highway narrow the longer we stay sober?

Easy Does It,

JR
JR

Next

Return to 12 Steps