- Step 2 - "Came to believe..."

Step 2 - "Came to believe..."

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

12 steps

Postby wareagle10 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:12 am

Mr. Zipper: I really don't know much about God, or how he/she/it works. I never had any formal introduction to religion or God so I am one of those people who just "don't know", except if there is one, I'm not it!
I do know that if I don't do the footwork nothing happens, I don't believe, for me, that I could pray over sobriety and I would get it. FOR ME that would be too easy, I would just go out and get drunk again and then pray over it. NO, FOR ME, I have to do the work, I have to read the material, I have to do the suggestions, I truly don't believe that God needs to do the AA program, but I do. Nothing against God, just that it would be too easy for me to blame GOD IF I WENT BACK OUT. This also holds true of a sponsor, it I leave it all up to the sponsor or the sponsor leaves it all up to him, then it is too easy for me to blame the sposor, no for me, I am responsible for taking the program and putting it to work in my own sobriety, if I fail it's my fault and no one else's.
You must understand that this is for me, not for someone else. I encourage all who have a belief to use it, just as you did. If prayer works then use it, use all the tools at your disposal to assist you in the program and in staying sober.
This is not to criticize anything, especially the power of God, it is just a different perspective and method of working the program. It certainly doesn't and won't work for most, but for me, at this time, it works, and it works pretty good. Tomorrow everything may change and it will become necessary for me to take other action. I can tell you this, if there were a drink in front of me and the options were either drop to your knees and pray or take the drink, I'd have callouses of knees, no question.
Mr. Zipper, I truly enjoy all your sharing, you are one of a kind and I can't think of a better kind than you. Thank you for more than you know.
Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

12 steps

Postby wareagle10 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:16 am

Mr. Zipper: Guess what I found while looking through Lyle's book?

We came---We came to---We came to believe---

1. We will know a new freedom and happiness.
2. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
3. We will comprehend the word SERENITY.
4. We will know peace.
5. We will see how our experiences would help others.
6. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
7. We will lose interest in selfish things.
8. Self-seeking will slip away.
9. Our whole attitude and ooutlook on life will change.
10. Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.
11. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
12. We will suddenly realize that GOD is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
ARE THESE EXTRAVAGRANT PROMISES? WE THINK NOT IF WE WORK THE STEPS. THEY WILL BEGIN BEFORE WE ARE HALF-WAY THROUGH.

Again, take care my friend and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Postby Rusty Zipper » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:23 am

Mr John, Mr PC here lol... yep Jonny, The Promises... perty good huh?... i did see that word there God!... Mr John, what i'm about to right has no bearing on what you wrote. mem'ba, live and let live... as you mentioned, if there is a God, i'm not it... i herd a fell'r say God= good orderly direction... for me growing up Itailian Americian Catholic, haveing it beat'n into me, and hateing it, not believe, fighting it, rebeling from it got me no where as proven. when i came in the rooms, i start'd fresh... i first clear'd out some of the cob-webs lol!... stil a few left, hehe... i try not to scare off newcomers with the word God,theres lot that do not believe, scared,or whatever... ### very Jerry ####.. part of the wisdom i have learned is to be carefull of what, and to whom i say things... God, HP, or a Power greater than stil means i aint it...i have to believe in something, and i put the word God on it... not too many letters in it, SLOTH, ha ... no fool'n... useing the word, has taught me disipline, something i far lack'd... imangine that? ... what i do know is that i was created, and by something, not just my Mamma and Pop, they were created too,and down the line it goes... creation to me is a beautifull thing, if i didn't think so, i would'a check out the day i decided to reach out for help, and almost did. i have no religon, just a believe in creation.... bottom line, i'm here... so as PC see's ### not a #### i use the word God, it workd for many before me. part of stop'n being rebellious. i'm stil me... i wasn't born with a booze bottle, or a crack pipe in my mouth... i was born as created, sober. sobriety is part of creationto me. get'n drunk, drug'n, and becoming addicted is another thing... so for today, i thank The Powers that be, not me, and God for another day sober. one more day at a time... i love you all, and Mr John, ya keep me think'n. and in a good way :wink: bb, PC
Rusty Zipper

Postby Rusty Zipper » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:25 am

ohoh, Mr John, your friend Lyle... did he use the word God?... i'm stil the curious alk'y lol!
Rusty Zipper

GOD

Postby wareagle10 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:30 pm

Mr. Zipper: My friend Lyle most certainly used the word GOD. He was a strong believer and we had many interesting discussions regarding the subject. I have heard the term, Good Orderly Direction, and, Group Of Drunks, I prefer the latter. I have never had orderly direction or any other kind that I can think of. Many of us put our trust and faith in the people of AA because it is easier than going through the entire debate on "why" someone doesn't have a faith. That is not the same as being a non-believer. I am not a non-believer, I simply have no faith in God. I do, however, have faith in the program of AA and in the people of AA, so that is where my beliefs lie.
Yours was a good post and explains where you are coming from and I completely agree, Live and Let Live. Right now, for me, not drinking is the most spiritual thing that I do and I do it everyday. I don't know, maybe that's a religion in itself.
Take care and straight ahead, John.
wareagle10

Postby Dallas » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:27 pm

GOD “The Application of Applied Principlesâ€
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 12 Steps