- Step 3, We made a decision....

Step 3, We made a decision....

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Step 3, We made a decision....

Postby Dallas » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:19 pm

We made a decision...

Step 3: Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Would you like to share your experience, strength and hope with us on taking your Third Step? I hope you will!!!

Thanks,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Being convinced

Postby JR » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:32 am

What do I need to be convinced of to be at step three?

BB pg. 60 My personal adventures Before I got sober and After I am sober make clear 3 pertinent ideas:

a) That I am alcoholic and could not manage my own life.
b) That probably no human power could have relieved my alcoholism.
c) That God could and would if her were sought.

The first requirement is that I be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success. Then they tell me an alcoholic such as myself is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though I usually don't think I am. They tell me that no amount of self-will can relieve me of self-will; I have to have God's help.

Then they tell me that I have to make God my Director, my Principal, my Father and my Employer; with this concept I can be FREE.

I am convinced and I do believe and I have made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God. On Sunday night, just as the BB suggests, I discussed these principles with my husband, who is also my closest and dearest friend then we kneeled together while I prayed the 3rd step prayer. So, I feel I have truly made a beginning.

Easy Does It,

JR
JR

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:02 am

I started to write "Congratulations on Step 3, JR!" and after I thought of it... I realized that it seems as though, only in AA, do we congratulate each other for doing what we should be doing, to save our own lives!!!

Anyhoot... Congratulations on Step 3, JR!!! It was nice that you could do that with "an understanding best friend!" It's great to know that you have someone in your home who is supportive of what you must do.

Best regards.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Made a decision

Postby JR » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:36 pm

I believe step 3 is an action step and more than just a decsion. The BB asks us to kneel in prayer and offer our will and our life over to God, that is action. This step is about willingness to consciously give up control to a Higher Power and then to actually consciously, calmly, even joyfully let Life have its way with you.

According to our literature the effectiveness of the whole A.A. program will rest upon how well and eanestly we have tried to do step 3.

It is like that game we used to play when we were kids when somebody stands behind you and you blindly fall backward and the person is supposed to catch you. Only now you stand at the edge of the cliff and you fall forward knowing that you have given up control and are falling into the arms of a loving Father.

Easy Does It,

JR
JR

ref. congrats

Postby JR » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:17 am

Dallas, thanks for the congrats, but I agree with you. I'm doing this to save my life so it's kind of like patting me on the back for sleeping, eating or breathing (LOL). Nothing I write here is meant for praise; I just want to keep my little online AA family appraised of my progress. You all have helped me out a lot. But, this is a marathon not a sprint so I have miles to go before I sleep.

Easy Does It,

JR
JR

the Power That Be

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:30 am

hi there JR, you ok? how things? you turn'n your wiil and life over? huh? JR. step3 for me, kinda rhymes huh? my will and life in my long end was turned over to the care, or should say the bondage of self, alcohol,and drugs. as you know, i belive i came in the rooms on step2. so in a way, i already had the key. in fact, i had the key all my life, just couldnt find it. the key has many names. willingness, faith, trust, belief, freely giveing, honesty forgiving, and love! these are all the things that the God of my understanding, require me to have, in order to be in The Powers care. yes, this is action. daily action. Bill calls it continued! as i trudge down my journey to my end. accepting life on lifes terms, not mine. afford me the inner piece that allows me to not want to use again. fears, anger, resentments, have no usefull place in my life. they can creep in, once and awhile. but i now can turn them over. and turn them over into something positive, if i seek it.remember the law! for every action, there is a equal reaction. negative into positive is my goal. kind of strange, but my dependence of drugs, and alkyhol, have now led me to a independence of it. my decissions before, of life, and inner self, were made by addiction. not a Power Greater Than. i know how staying sober opens all the tru inner self, that i was born with. and i like what i see. the creativity, the love, the belief of something other than me. JR, a nother very important thing i have discovered. the effort it took to be "me based" was very exausting, my brain was like a whirling dervish, constantly going round, and around, this way, and that, sideways, up, and down! JR, im exausted just writing about it! wooooosh, let go of that :lol: JR, i did go thru the mind change that the BB requires for not drinking forever, big, big, stuff. the answers to all are ??? are there. if we realy search, and seek. yup, action yet again JR, for me, all the selfs have to go. self-pity, self- rightousness, self pride, and all the rest. JR, when i pray in the morning, i simply pray for the relief from the bondage of self. i am gratefull that i can start a new day sober,and at night, i pray with gratitude that i made it one more day sober! being right, or wrong, i want to be sober. if need to be a doormat, so be it. humility! all mylife, the misuse of willpower my problem. it was always my way, or the highway. now, i try to line my will up with The Powers. t5hat means to me. doing the next right thing on a daly basis, action again. imagine that! and doing a pretty good job so far. i like that inner piece, my Pink Cloud. it's only when my "Band of Gypsy's" my addiction, trys to stop me, is there trouble. they are tring everything in the book to get me to use again. so far, addiction isn't in the drivers seat. the Power, and I are! ### its a big #### i try to keep addiction way back on that bus full of Bozo's! so when life, or myself get in the way, i no longer reach for the quick fix, run, hide, crawl into bed, pull the covers up around me and stay in the fetal possition! do not lay on the couch, turn on Oprah, and start eating Bon-Bon's! i get up, out, talk, pray, whatever it takes to keep turning my life over. JR. cannot forget, going thru the rest of the step, does make it a bir easier, and help to make more sence out of this life and inner self and all. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change ### i have to go to work today! Phoey! #### the Courage to change the things i can ### my attitude of myself, and whatever comes my way today #### and the Wisdom to know the difference! ### im here, and now, shareing my experance, strenght, and hope to you. thanks to all the friends of Bill W, and The Power That Be! how far down that Rabbit hole do you really want to go Alice? for me, all the way! :wink: ...... xxoxoxo to you JR, and all Rusty
Rusty Zipper

Step 3

Postby JR » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:30 pm

Rusty,

Amen Brother!!!!

I love the way you share.

JR
JR

My step 3

Postby Rose » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:15 pm

I am not sure really how to do this. My sponsor has never incouraged me to do my step, so I am tring on my own.
Hi friends my name is Rose,I am an alcoholic. Like I said I could drink the stuff but could never spell it!
I have surrendered my life over to AA. I was unable to manage my life. I had to ask for help. And I found it in AA. You have taught me how to live without the drink. I could not live before with out it. I needed it to fuction. But I was not real fuctioning, I was just slowely dying. Killing my self.
But bot this new life is just wonderful. Just to be alive and brathing. Because I know where my drinking was taking me.
It is so wonderful to wake up every moring and not have to wonder what i did or said. With not regreats. I own my life now to AA, Yu gave a new way to live ot should I say the tools. 8)
Rose

Postby Dallas » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:32 pm

Hey Rose, I know precisely what you mean. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rose » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:55 pm

You have to love this new way of living. 8)
Rose

Next

Return to 12 Steps