- Introductions this forum is All About You!

Introductions this forum is All About You!

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Postby chrissy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:56 pm

So nice to have found this place! My name is Chris and I'm an alcoholic. Most of my AA buddies call me Chrissy, so it felt more appropriate as a screen name for this AA forum. :lol:

My sober date is February 17, 2010. I was sober for 19+ years and relapsed in 2001. I was not the fortunate type who could pick themselves up, dust themselves off and go right back to meetings. It took 9 years to finally make my way back and sincerely wanting to get sober. I emphasize sincerely.

I can honestly say that I can look back with no regrets because of my introduction to the Big Book this time. It seems the Big Book was not a popular text in the meetings round here in the 1980s and I was introduced to the Steps through the 12x12. Big difference!!! WOW! 12x12 is a wonderful enhancement, but I love the clear-cut directions given in the BB. Good stuff!!

By working the steps with a sponsor using the BB, it has changed my life.

I'm off to bed and just wanted to say hello.

Thanks for being here everyone. :D

Chris
chrissy

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks Chrissy. I was the type to pick myself up, dust myself off and go back to screwing up my life.

Until of course I found the daily reprieve :lol:

Dang to I ever love to sleep well at night :roll:

One day I found out I was a morning person. Crikey never realised it for so many years. 8)
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Welcome to the site Chrissy!!! Really happy to have you join us here and I look forward to your participation!

Thanks for carrying this message to me, as well! If I don't drink by Nov. 14th, I'll hit 24... and stories like yours help to remind me that my sobriety will ALWAYS be contingient on doing this deal every single day for the rest of my life!!! So, I especially appreciate you and your sharing! You can help keep me in shape! :wink:

Best wishes for you and if I can ever do anything for you, please let me know. "If" I can't do it -- I know how to find the people that can! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby chrissy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Well, I'm up coughing up a storm! Having some water and a cough drop.
Thanks for the welcome Ranman & Dallas. Dallas, I do a lot of listening to tapes from the boys from AK Joe & Charlie. They're the guys, man!! LOL

Chris
chrissy

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:19 am

And check out all the recordings on xa-speakers dot org (can't type the direct link on the chat site)
Ranman99

Postby PeaceJoy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:08 am

Welcome to the site Chrissy! I love the Big Book too. I'm going to head off to bed and do some reading of it right now, in fact!
PeaceJoy

Postby Lena » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:42 am

Hello I am Lena I am new to this site and AA
I am glad I found this site I have been reading post since Monday and haven't had a drink since Sunday. I am learning I am not alone in how I feel
I need help, I have looked into meetings and know I need to go.
I am scared, I live in a small town and I am in sales of spirits, wine and beer I have 90+ accounts and know a lot of people in town and do not want to jeopardize my job?
I also know that I have quit drinking for a while and started backup and keep repeating the cycle, and I can't do that anymore!
I am glad I found this site it's been very helpful even writing this post has given me some relief.
Lena

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:41 am

Hello Lena, Welcome to the site. Glad you found us.

I understand. I lived in a large town -- had been in the nightclub business and was known by many. My head said "Oh Dang! What will people think of me if they find out I quit drinking!" :lol: :lol:

Well -- if I didn't quit -- what they would have been talking about was "Remember that guy Dallas? Oh yeah! We remember! How long has he been dead now?" :lol:

I felt like it was more insulting to my reputation to get sober and clean up my life! :lol: The things we think when we're newly sober! I've been there -- like I said -- I understand. And, I'm here and will offer to help you if I can.

I tended bar in two popular places after I got sober. I didn't need to -- I guess I was just not being very smart -- but, I didn't drink! Went to a lot of AA meetings and tended bar in between meetings. I got to watch a lot of people drink -- wishing I could have been one of them! :lol:

In one of the night clubs that I had before sobriety -- I actually quit drinking for almost six months. When people asked me "Why aren't you drinking? Got a drinking problem?" I'd laugh & say "Yep. I'm drinking up all my profits!" :lol: Another thing I often said was "I can't drink because I love it too much!"

When I'm around drinkers now that want to buy me a drink, I let them know that I don't drink. Now, I tell them that I'm a recovering alcoholic and I'm sober and don't want to screw it up. However in the beginning -- I wasn't so brave about it ... So, I said (and, it's the truth) "I developed an allergy to alcohol! Just like people have allergies to peanut butter, strawberries and bee stings -- I can't drink it."

I also have an allergy to Vitamin B12 shots. I break out in welts and in the ER if my doc were to give me one.

There are several people in AA that were in or still are in -- the booze business. Just like there are some docs, cops, bankers, lawyers, car dealers, judges, outlaws and homeless people, too! It's quite a mix! Which keeps it fun. :lol: I doubt seriously -- that if anyone that cares about you -- will hold it against you for being in AA, recovery, or sober -- they are the lowlife people that you don't want in your life anyway.

Hang in there & keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Lena » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:36 am

Hello This is Lena,
Thank you, Dallas I really appreciate what you said about if people really cared about me and your right! I do not want to be tempted to drink so I
have been using the excuse " I can not come to do promo tonight because I have to go see my dad" I feel bad lying but I am not ready to be out in bar's!
I am really freaking out about New Year's because my Co is sponsoring the big up-town event, and I didn't have to be present but now one of my bosses is coming from out of own, and wants to go. I haven't decided what I am going to tell him???? I do not want to go,I want to stay home with my family!!!
Last New Years I worked this event it was really unorganized not on my part, the people running it, I ran around all night trying to stock bars on the street etc, then when I finally said I am done helping the street bars, I still had to promo's to do in 2 accounts at 1/4 to midnight, I ordered a drink in one of my best accounts set it behind a bouncer I knew,
( which I never do)!!!!!!
went outside to watch the New Years Ball drop came back in to bar finished half my drink went to next account 2 doors up and that's all remember
I was slipped a Rohypnol it was the worst night of my life it caused all kinds of trouble with my in-laws and husbands cousins and the worst part is at first no one believed I was slipped something because they have all seen me lushed-out in past, but never like this!!!! I knew because I only had 2 drinks over a 4 hr period and unfortunately I can drink like a fish,plus it happen to several people that night,That was the eye opening major event when, I said I was done drinking and here we are now another year later with another good handful of drunk-in embarrassing moments to add to the years before.
I can manage to get out of the next few weeks of regular promo's I do every Tuesday night, I need to figure something about New Year's
If I tell my boss the truth it will turn in to a big HR ordeal and I do not want to deal with that on top of what I am dealing with, In a way I feel like that is still denial, I just do-not need my work to be involved!!!

but I know I have had enough!!! I have admitted I have a problem it to family and friends,
only one good friend said 'your will is stronger than that????" I love her but she doesn't get it and that's ok It's my problem not her's.
I am just rambling on, I need to go,in fact I am going to see if I can find a meeting in the next town over I am headed to see accounts in my outlying area's.
I am feeling better already it's nice not waking up all foggy and being happy when I am making my kids lunch and seeing them off...not all bitchy!
Thanks for being here!!!
Have A Great day!!
Selena
Lena

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 pm

I enjoyed reading your sharing. Brings back some very valuable and precious memories of my beginning in Sobriety -- that I can never afford to forget!

The first time I tried stopping w/ AA's help it was like a piece of cake -- compared to what it was like after I started drinking again and trying to get sober all over again! Don't get me wrong -- it wasn't easy the first time -- but, the second time -- sobriety nearly killed me!

I guess one reason it was so hard for me was that alcohol was my lifestyle. My business style. My spiritual style. It was my everything and everything centered around my drinking. It was my solution to life's problems and my personal problems.

When I got sober it was like... OK, now how the heck am I going to handle this one w/out a drink???? :shock:

It took me a lot of time and a lot of hard work -- to finally reach a place of being comfortable while sober. Of being able to solve problems while sober. And, one day, I discovered, after all the hard work to achieve & maintain my sobriety -- I was actually happy for a little while! A few times I felt contented!

Now... most of the time, I'm reasonably happy, comfortable and at peace w/ me and life -- while sober.

Keep coming back! Nice hearing from you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery