- Introductions this forum is All About You!

Introductions this forum is All About You!

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Postby Coffeebeing » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:09 pm

Thanks Dallas! I love those tapes.
There's actually a website that has them and sometimes I am able to listen to them with headphones while I work.
I see that Joe passed away recently (October last year?). The world will miss that man.

Well..I am glad I am sober and am working the program as best I can. That in and of itself is a great feeling.

Thanks again for the welcome..

George
Coffeebeing

Postby Dallas » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Yes. It was very sad to lose the original Joe. Joe McQ. For me, he was the AA that brought the message to me that saved my life, and helped me to see the whole deal in a different light. He was like a sponsor for me. And, I doubt that I would be alive or sober today... had it not been for Joe and Charlie.

I attended his funeral in Little Rock, and I'm hoping that it was taped, too. It was one of the most touching and inspiring funerals that I've ever attended. There were several great AA talks and experiences as Joe's contribution to service in AA was remembered. It would be great material for any AA to be listening to!

Isn't it amazing... the difference that one sober alcoholic can make in the lives of others?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:27 pm

As I was re-reading this message thread, I noticed that there are several of you -- that we haven't heard from in a long time.

I hope that you are all staying sober and that your lives have become so good -- that you've just been too busy absorbing all the good in lives -- is the reason that we haven't heard from you!

Best regards to you all.

I hope that life is treating you well.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Calhoun » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi I'm Larry I'm an alcoholic who suffers from depression also. My heavy drnking began when I was 27 yrs old and continued unabated for twenty years. At first I thought I was having a good time but now as I look back I was "powerless" from the beginning. I loved to feel the rush when I would drink a lot just straight from the bottle. But I would soon be over the edge in a blackout and frequently in jail or ostracized from friends . But no one knew I was powerless most thought I just drank too much. After years of disatrous relationships I finally started seeing psycharists but few ever said drinking was my problem. Well I finally came to the fellowship through the courts and although I've not been through the 12 steps I've read the big book and I hope to go through them someday. I praise God for allowing me another day of sobriety Thanks
Calhoun

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Hello Larry!

Thank you for sharing! It's great to have you here and hopefully, we'll hear a lot from you!

Keep coming back!

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Introduction....Ben H.

Postby ReaderRat » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:45 pm

Hello, Everybody,
My name is Ben H., and I hail from Athens, GA, USA, home of the University of Georgia. My forum handle is ReaderRat, and my AA friends call me "BC". I have a few 24 hours under my belt, but the sad truth is that I did not start honestly working the Steps until recently. I did 1/2-way work them many years ago, but did not reap the many benefits that I am now. I was just "sober" (dry). During my dry spell, there was a 10 year period when I did not go to meetings. I did not drink, but I was intensely lonely. That drove me back to meetings. As you may have guessed, I am a loner. I have had a few "romances", but, because of my drinking and my shyness, I could never connect with anyone. I have pretty much resigned myself to being an old fart bachelor. BTW, I am 61. This is no death sentence, though, I have made AA my second home. I have a sponsor with 27 years sober who is the salt of the earth (and, sometimes, the pepper.) As he says," Work the Steps until the Steps work you." I'm not to that point yet. I go to meetings and listen and try to remember the things that are said, but I have a slippery-as-an-eel mind - a terrible memory. I think it's age-related. It really frustrates me to no end. My favorite thing to do, when my Higher Power helps me, is to help a newcomer. It is a wonderful feeling to know that God is using me for something that may help another alcoholic out of the misery of his condition. No feeling like it.
Pardon, I have weak and weary eyes today....it's gotten to the point where I can't read what I'm typing. I shall continue the saga later. Thanks for listening. My name is Ben H. and I am a very grateful recovering alcoholic.
ReaderRat

Postby Dallas » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Hello Ben!!! Welcome to the forum!!! Glad you're here!

I made my type larger just in case your eyes are still giving you a problem! I've had a problem with one of my eyes lately... and I understand!

Ben wrote: My favorite thing to do, when my Higher Power helps me, is to help a newcomer.

I'm double-glad you're here! There are many newcomers that scroll through here and the more you participate the more of them you'll be helping -- in addition to helping the rest of us, too!

Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Susan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Welcome Ben, we have fun here too.
Susan

x

Postby debvan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:38 am

xyz
Last edited by debvan on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debvan

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:13 am

Hello Deb,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you here and I hope that you like it enough to keep coming back! :wink:

From reading your post, it sounds like you've experienced what most of us experience at some time or other inside or outside of A.A.

We come in contact with people who can be nice on one day and difficult on six days! And, some others who can be nice on one day and difficult for the next 364 days! And, fortunately... we will occasionally run into some that seem to be able to keep it together most of the week and be nice for six days in a row... and then be difficult on the 7th. Once in a while... we'll even cross paths with some real sick SOB's that seem to have nothing good whatsoever in them and they're sick and cantankerous all the time!! :lol:

It isn't just an A.A. thing. They're out there in the super markets, gas stations, on the freeways and expressways, at work, at play, sometimes at home with us and sometimes they're living right next door to us!

It seems to me that we get many of them in AA... but, perhaps we have no more or less of them in AA than we have them outside of AA. After all, those people are somewhere else... when they're not in A.A.! :wink:

I think it would be wonderful if we had some place that we could go and we wouldn't find those nitwits, goofs and crazy people. Once I tried staying in my house to keep away from then and all was going pretty well and then one of them would knock on my door wanting to borrow something, or sell something, or... delivering some stupid letter that they were making me get up and go sign something to show that I received it! And, another nitwit that would sneak around to the back of my house and turn the water, or gas or electrict off... real jerks about it... and they had the right house number but they were on the wrong street! My bill was paid and they were supposed to be at a house three blocks away! Yet, I was the one getting punished!!! :wink:

On another occasion, while I was trying to stay inside my house and away from them... I can't remember what happened... but, something did, and the SOB that was doing me wrong stood there looking at me in the mirror calling me the SOB for staying home!!! Get a load of that? Made me just want to kill him or beat him up, or something!

I used to be able to have a couple of drinks... and those other people would somehow get better for a little while... and I could tolerate them more easily... but, then, damned if I didn't become alcoholic... and then I couldn't drink any more! That really sucked... to have to deal with those nitwits and goofs like they were... and I couldn't have a drink to make it more manageable to be around them! That made me feel like God and life were out to get me!

What could I do? I couldn't escape them... and I couldn't drink! :twisted:

I found my relief one day when I was reading the Big Book... and life and those people and even myself had become so unbearable... sober... that I just couldn't live with it any longer.

I had thought that everything was supposed to get better... if I just stopped drinking and stayed sober! Gees. I sure was wrong about it in my case. I stopped drinking and my life got worse... and I ran into more of those difficult people!

Why was my experience so different... than the experience of those people in the book? That was my question... and I still couldn't figure it out.

So, I figured that... "Well, maybe I'll try those Steps that I keep reading about and see if that will make any difference!"

And, sure enough... after I got through my Steps the first time, and then kept taking them and practicing them, some of those sick SOBs got better!

But, even then... I was still running into too many of them... and my last resort, because I couldn't drink... was to keep doing what I was doing... and eventually something happened to me that made it easier for me to deal with them.

I still run into those types. And, sometimes it still bothers me. But, now... I know which of the tools and which Steps to apply to the problem to make it easier to deal with.

I hope that helps.

Keep coming back!!! It's great to have you here and I hope that we read much more from you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery