- constant slipper on programme without sponser, for first tim

constant slipper on programme without sponser, for first tim

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

constant slipper on programme without sponser, for first tim

Postby boomerang » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:57 am

Hi guys n gals. 56year female with 10years sobriety til 2005. Since then I have slippn and slidn from month to month. Help. Couldn't face 4th step last time and drank after 7months. Sober since Jan 09 with one period of 3nights drinking 2 cans strong lager (to aid sleep!!!!!)I came across a great site yesterday re "SLIPPERS" and cannot find it again. It gave a list of things to consider before taking first drink i.e. Did you lift the phone? Did you pray etc etc. It made a great impact on me and I was able to answer NO to all of the prompts I should have taken. I realise that I am now prepared to give 100% to getting sober and am able to be honest with myself at last. Can anyone help me identify this site.?
boomerang

Postby Dallas » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 pm

Hello Boomerang!

Welcome to this website! Most of us here in the forum are no longer slippers -- but a few of us were! :wink:

I don't have any information about a website just for slippers. I guess we could come up with a 20 or 100 question list for slippers, though! :wink:

I encourage you to keep coming back. And, I hope that you'll be able to find something here -- that will help you.

Best regards,

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:00 am

Hello Boomerang Welcome to this site!!!!!

I dont about the other site you mentioned but if you stick around on this one you are bound to find a lot of useful suggestions and lots of experience strength and hope that has made a great impact on many of us I hope you will stick around and become a part of our little cyberfamily :)

I know there are so many forums sometimes its hard to find things
may I suggest that you go to the main forum index scroll down to A.A.Recovery click that forum then sroll down 13 topics to one titled Slips in Recoveryand another topic in that forum titled Living With The Obsession

all the topics are great I know you will like it here there is sooo much information on all aspects of recovery
Keep Coming Back

LUV-2-ALL Cessie
ccs

Postby boomerang » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi Cessie. thanx 4 takin time to reply. All time low at moment so good to find your message. Strangely - no thot of drink but want to hell out of this life - in my head. know things will get better eventually but still blaming soon to be xhusband for colluding with stepson and geting me out of my home by making false allegations about me drinking (WHEN i WASNT) and of being physically abusive to him!! Cant believe it. God must have greqt plans ahead for me to put me thru this????
boomerang

Postby boomerang » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi again cessie. Got site u mentioned and found it helpful. Thanx.
boomerang

Postby ccs » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 pm

hey Boomerang nice to hear from you again
I agree that GOD has great plans for all of us and I know that if you stay close to HIM HE will see you thru it !!!!!

I know that when I`m in a mess I need to keep things really simple and take things one day at a time
I`m so glad that they taught me this right away in A.A. it helps me all the time now
it really is a simple program its me that try`s to make things so complicated I think most humans are like that :oops: but when I have lots of thiings running in my head (the committee) its hard sometimes to believe that just simlpe little things like the suggestions I get in the book and from others in the program really do work
thats why I need the fellowship of the rooms to remind me to take it easy and it helps me to shut the committee up and focus (most of the time :shock:)
I also have to always remember step one I AM POWERLESS!!
I`m powerless over alcohol
I`m powerless over what others do and say
but I`m not powerless over my reaction and actions provided I dont drink!!!
I really hope you`ll stick around here there is alot of love and sobriety here for you to share in just keep coming back and clicking thru the forum we are so glad your here thank you for helping me today
:wink: :wink:

Luv cessie
ccs

Postby boomerang » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:04 am

hey Cessie. Got so much from ur latest posting. Hav avoided meetings at times knowing my "soon-to-be-ex husband" would be there. (he trails me) I hav avoided going to same meetings as I felt I couldn't trust myself not to verbally abuse him in front of everyone...... Just reading your comments "I am responsible for my reactions " made an impact on me. And I agree. ! Just never realised it before. Thank you so much. Crazy how it works????? I've probably always known that, but just never accepted it B4.
boomerang

Postby Dallas » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Hello Cessie and Boomerang! It's so great to have you here on the forum! Thank you for your sharing.... it's an inspiration to me, and a reminder... that "it does work... when we slow down, take it easy, stay together... and work it together!" :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:03 am

Hi, Boomerang! You is in the right place here. (sorry for the TexasCajun slang. uh ... get used to it. :P

Boomerang. What a great name for your subject! :)

Geez ... you've gotten some great advice here. I know I can count on that, myself. I can't add anything to it.

BUT I WILL, whether you like it or not! :lol:

I got sober Jan. 7, '09. Just got my 5 mo. chip. And I haven't relapsed since then (thank only God). But I hang out regularly with some real old timers who have relapsed at times, and slippers who keep comin back. Their experience, strangth, and hope are very important to me until I get some of my own. I've had really great advice from them ... and it's working for me ... so far. (Uh oh. Did I say that? "I GOT ONE!" "Great, kid! Don't get cocky" Luke & Hans during a Starwars shoot-out.)

This is what they tell me:

1. I go to a Relapse Prevention group every week where we discuss sobriety problems we face, especially with temptation, warning signs, triggers, cravings.

2. Do the 5 things every day: a) Don't drink. b) Morning prayer, meditation, and BB reading. c) Call your sponsor. d) Call at least 2 other sober people. e) Go to a meeting (or do something AA specifically sobriety related).

3. At the very first thought of a drink - Immediately LEAVE the situation if I can. (I've found that, if I can do the next things, I probly left already. But I don't stop there.) PRAY! CALL MY SPONSOR. Not immediately available? Call the next number on my extensive sober-people list. (They recommend having at least 20 people I see regularly in my phone list ... keep calling till one answers.)

4. If I know I'm going to be in a place or situation that may be a problem for me, I call my sponsor and tell him about it. Get advice.

5.Know my warning signs and pay attention. That will help me bail-out before the trigger happens.

The best thing I read here is KEEP IT SIMPLE! Nuthin difficult about it. Trying to think my way out of it IS obsessing over it. "Don't think, Tim. You're an insane acloholic. Just do what you're told to do." Simple.

I LOVE this website! But, sorry guys, it doesn't keep me sober. Being around sober AA bodies with eyes on me and inflections in their voices and facial expressions is what I need. There is no substitute for that. No website can do that for me. Anybody else here agree with that?

Of paramount importance to me, constant conscious contact with my HP. Incorporated in that is that I have a sponsor who intensely and regularly works me through the steps. (Actually, its MY program. I intensely work my sponsor through my steps. 8) I work his ars off. I often make him take me back through steps I'd like to get down better. He loves it.)

My personal advice for me? RELAX! To mine own self be true. I'm one o'them guys who tends to project my fears going over and over things in my sick mind trying to cover every possible permutation of things that COULD happen. I even do it when stuff DOES happen long after it's over. "Shoulda coulda woulda" done or said this or that. UGH! :roll:

RELAX, Tim! It's my own fear and anticipation that makes me over-react when something happens. I'm learnin'. I'm getting HPized.

Good luck to ya, Boomer. (I like that! Sounds like a go getter. Nevertheless, I nickname peops. Let me know if it bugs ya.) :)

Love,
Tim1

PS: I go to several different meetings and groups. If I think I'm being followed, I can change-up my schedule. I dunno. Helpful idea?
tim-one

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:27 am

I don't know the web site you refer to. I've done work myself in relapse prevention. It took me twelve years after my first exposure to AA to establish and maintain a continuous sobriety of twelve years.

In addition to practicing the principles of AA, I've used some non-AA helps, including Gorski's relapse prevention books, Sober But Stuck by Dan F. and Rabbi Abraham Twerski's books on recovery, among others.

That's been a helpful individual approach, but it may not be anyone else's cuppa tea.

Best to you on your own recovery. I ran across a good acronym for a slip years ago, which goes like this: S.L.I.P. means Sobriety Loses Its Priority. Makes sense!
Tim

Next

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery