- Just Starting

Just Starting

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Postby angel143 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Im not giving up hope yet Dallas.

He could be a busy man...he could be spending a lot of time at meetings. I still have faith in him. He took the step to get on here and introduce himself. He wants help...he can do it. I am still holding out hope!!! Fingers crossed.

Come on Bron....lets hear from ya.

Lets play a game I use to play as a kid in the pool. Its called Marco-Polo. I say Marco...and you say Polo. And we keep going like that till I find you...

Ready... MARCO

Im waiting...its not nice to make a lady wait...... :wink:
angel143

Postby tim-one » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:50 am

Hahahahaha ... Just like my alcoholic mind to assume the worst. :roll:

I'm trusting that Bron took our initial advice and is focussing on the AA warm-bodies until otherwise verified.

I'm expecting him to come back and report that's he's surrounded and doin' the deal.

I tend to trust HP for taking care of peops behind my back these days.

I may not agree with His idea of what a body needs. I've seen folks (uh ... like ... ME) who needed another dose of misery to get it right. Not MY call, thank God!

'Nuther snippet, Dallas ... "If you're dissatisfied with AA, we'll be glad to refund your misery."

Trust in hope.

Love y'all,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby Susan68 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi everyone.

I've been so crazy busy I haven't had any time to get on here -- until NOW. I'm sitting in my lazy boy, feet up, laptop, well, on my lap . . .

Hmmm, I found this little string of commentary interesting because I think about this stuff all the time. I am such a self-driven cocky person. I analyze everything everyone says to see if it makes sense to me, and then I do what I think is appropriate for me.

After exposing myself to this program (I'm not "in it" yet, in my book, because I haven't yet started the steps in an active way) for 56 days I have arrived at certain conclusions which, of course, are subject to change if someone convinces me otherwise. I think the BB is to AA like the bible is to Christianity (not to go religious on anyone); you gotta' kinda' read it if you really want to embrace it as a lifestyle. I've been re-reading the first half of the BB (a few pages a night because I'm just so freakin' busy). I also go to meetings about 4 times a week, sometimes more if I feel like surrounding myself with folks going through what I am going through. If I'm not tied up with work then I'll go to more meetings. Meetings are really important though, I have to say. I can start to "drift" pretty easy (e.g., I'm not really an alcoholic, and this happens all the time); all I need is a meeting -- step, open speaker, whatever -- to get my mind back in the truth. This 90 meetings in 90 days -- I think it depends on where you are on the continuum. I feel that where I am right now in my progression I'm okay with 4 meetings a week, more if I feel I need to talk to or hear from some alcoholics. However, I have to tell you, I drove by my former apartment building, where I did all that daily alone drinking, and I thought, "hmm, if I was still living there I think I'd have to be at meetings all the time."

I think you have to think, but be wary that alcohol is cunning, baffling, powerful and insidious. When you start thinking you're not that bad, not an alcoholic, can control it, whatever, it's a danger sign I think. That's when I stop trusting my own thoughts and get to a meeting.

I have to start working on my inventory which I am going to do this evening. I've been putting it off long enough, and truth is I've been putting it off because I simply do not want to get to that place where I have to go "eat crow" (as my Nana used to say) to people who have 90% wrongdoing. I know I'm going to have to get a sponsor to go over this stuff, and that's another thing I'm putting off (but I won't re-open that diatribe!).

Anyway, nice to read everyone's thoughts. And I guess we never heard back from Bron? He'll be back . . .
Susan68

Postby Dallas » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:33 pm

I hope he makes it back. I hope he didn't leave!

We know where leaving leads us.... the same place that it always left us... when we left.

[quote"Susan68"]I think you have to think, but be wary that alcohol is cunning, baffling, powerful and insidious. When you start thinking you're not that bad, not an alcoholic, can control it, whatever, it's a danger sign I think. That's when I stop trusting my own thoughts and get to a meeting. [/quote]

Well said!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GaryK » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 am

Welcome Bron!
Hope your upright and takin nourishment.
We all been right where your at Man. You ain't alone, special, or unique.

You can do this, a day at a time.
Don't drink, go to meetings, take suggestions.
GaryK
GaryK

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Hey GaryK,

Nice to see you hanging in!! I hope all is going well for you.

I remember when I was new, this guy walks up to me after the meeting, back at the coffee pot... and he says "Do you know what the secret to staying sober is?" I told him "No one has told me yet."

He said "Let go and let God!"

I thought... what the hell?

Then, this other guy comes up later and asks... "Do you know how to stay sober?" And, I repeated what the other guy told me... "Yes. They said Let go and Let God." :roll:

He said... "Wrong! Hang on, man! Hang on to what you've got!"

The next week, the first guy came back up to me and asked "Remember the secret to staying sober?" I said "Yes, let go, let God, and hang on to what I've got!" :wink:

He said... "No. They changed it man! Let go of what you got because that's what got you here... you come here to get rid of what you got... and hang-in and don't drink!" :shock:

All those suggestions made my head hurt, made me thirsty... and I had to go get a drink!

When I finally got back to AA, this guy walks up and I'm thinking, Oh crap, here's another one and I don't want to drink!"

He said... "Anybody tell you the secret to how this works and how to stay sober?" :twisted: "Don't take the next first drink and you won't get drunk!" And, he dances off laughing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then, I kept hearing all kinds of stuff that made me thirsty... "don't drink, go to meetings, yada yada yada yada"

And, I sat there thinking... "I sure wish someone could tall me how to not take the next first drink! That seems to be my problem! I can't resist the next first one! For me... that would be the secret!" :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Dallas,

That's why I started at the 2nd one. The first one was KILLIN' ME.

Good to see ya, Gary. I was wondering about you yesterday for some reason. Oh, yeah ... it was, "Where's that guy that talks like me?" :lol:

Guess I just hadn't run into you here lately.

How's it goin?

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby GaryK » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Hey Guys :)
I'm AlllllllllllRight, or workin on AlllllllllRight, lets put it that-a-way.

Been doin meetins, goin to therapy, hangin out with my kid, and reflectin on where I been, and what I done, and where I'm wantin to be.

Doin my 5th Step was a Biggie for me.............. :shock:
Somethin changed! The most noticable for me is that I got No Problem lookin peole in the eye when I'm talkin to em.
I been Tired too, sleepin a lot.

I got an email from my Ex yesterday, wantin to "talk".................
She's still got some junk here, nothin of any value, and an old beater car I gave her that is registered in her name, that she don't need.

I "Intuatively" knew how to handle a situation that used to Get Gary Drunk.
I didn't answer it...........................
Called my Sponsor, then my Minister, and ran it buy both of them.
The consensus is....she's still sick and wantin to stir things up, because she needs Her fix of negativity, Drama, and whatever, and just wants to keep me in the "Loop".
Not Playin this time. :idea:

I don't need, nor WANT to be hangin with a Chick that parties, no matter how good the Sex was, how good she looks, etc, etc.
She's got her own HP, and it ain't ME.
I'm wantin to be SOBER! (Solid On Beam Embracing Recovery).

Today......I'm trustin the Process.
G
GaryK

Postby GaryK » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Oh Yeah.............. 8)

Just a couple days past a year ago. I bought, (Stole Really) a 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix for $ 200. from "This Little Old Lady" (Really).

318 V8, Push Button Auto, 49,000 Original miles.
Solid Black, New Tires, Solid Body.....................Cool Ride.

Me and Da Boy been tinkerin on "Louise".
She's been sittin for a year out in the Rhubarb. Put in a new set of points, condenser, cap etc. dumped a little gas down her windpipe and took her for her Maiden voyage yesterday.
Been a lot of Budwiser peed off the deck Talkin about all the Big Deals I was gonna do.................................... :?

DD, GTM, Fix Cars.
Cruise Night here I come.
Think I'll slick my hair back, buy a new White T Shirt, and buy a pack of Camels. 8)

G

GaryK

Postby tim-one » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm AlllllllllllRight, or workin on AlllllllllRight, lets put it that-a-way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"I'M OK ! I'M ALRIGHT ! I MEANT TO DO THAT!" :lol:

Dam, boy. Came back all happy. Whaja do wrong? Musta done somethin so wrong it blew up when ya poked it. Blew all this .... HAPPY all over ya ! :lol:

Must have been one of those meetings. Yeah ... that's it 8) a meeting made you get this way. That's the ticket. 8)

Geez, and y'ain't half done yet!

Bless your heart, bro. Keep doin the deal. You ain't SEEEEEN better yet!

"I GOT ONE !" "GREAT, kid! Don't get cocky" (Hans & Luke during a Star Wars shoot-out)

Enjoy the hell out of your victories! You don't desreve them, but you worked for them. Time for a peace-time arms race. When we start feelng like we got it whipped, the disease is out in the parkin lot doin pushups. Stay focused brother. I wanna hear you get some MORE of those promises.

I'm revelling with you. Great to hear the good stuff! That's what keeps me reading the BB and rereredoing the deal. It's working! Huh? :wink:

318 V8, Push Button Auto, 49,000 Original miles

Wow. I had a '64 Plymouth Belvedere with PB trans. Drove it to hell and ba ... well, just to hell. Lots of good old-fashioned teenage get-drunk
-and-do-somethin-outrageous damage by the time I was through with it. Had lots of stoopid teen memories in it. Including my premature marriage and first son origin. Yep, we were stoned. :roll:

8 of us would scrape up 2 bucks, FILL up the tank and drive to the lake where our toke and Strawberry Hill cave was. No wonder sitting in an AA chair. I never grew out o'that. APPARENTLY. :roll:

Glad to hear from ya, Gary. I was fixin to send out the HP search-party on your azz. :P

Stay in the book, buddy. It's lookin gooooood on ya.

Love ya, bro,
Tim1
tim-one

Previous

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery