- New Kid on the Block

New Kid on the Block

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

New Kid on the Block

Postby albertawind » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi,

My name is Graeme and I'm an alcoholic. I found this site while searching for info on Step 4. I like what I see here, so I thought I would sign-up.

I had a relapse recently after 23 months of sobriety. It scared me pretty bad - and it was ugly to say the least. Since my relapse I have plunged right back into the program. I know exactly how and why I went back out, and I have a pretty good idea what I need to do to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I have a good sponsor now and I'm working the steps - really working them this time! I feel great - like I have a new purpose in life. I go to a lot of meetings and have made some wonderful friendships in the fellowship. The more sober people I surround myself with the more confident I feel.

I look forward to reading a lot of the posts here and perhaps contributing something myself.

Wishing you all another 24!

Graeme
albertawind

Postby Dallas » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:27 am

Hello Graeme, welcome to the site! I'm really glad you you've joined and that you are participating here in the forum! That's great. You'll be helping me -- while you help many others, just sharing yourself and your experiences with us.

I looked at your profile and noticed we have a few things in common. :wink:

Our priorities are the same. And, we enjoy doing some of the same kinds of activities... And, I even know what it's like to be a machinist! (I call that part of my life -- my past life -- because it was so many years ago... but, when I did it, for the short time that I did it, I enjoyed it!

Nice to have you aboard! I look forward to reading much more from you!

Best regards,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby albertawind » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks for the welcome Dallas. It's great to be here and it's great to be sober today. I hope I can contribute something that may help another alcoholic.

I've worked in machine shops since 1991 and for many years I hated my job. Thanks to AA and the miracle of sobriety I have a new outlook on life. Work is great, my family is great, and I love waking up in the morning to face a new day. I am 45 and I haven't felt this optimistic since I was 14 or 15.

How simple and wonderful life is when we embrace it one day at a time.

Graeme
albertawind

Postby sunlight » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi Graeme!

Wanted to say hello and welcome you aboard.

My son's name is Graeme (spelled that way too) and I just spent the day with him for his birthday. He still thinks he can get sober alone & without the steps. Not a happy camper or birthday,either.

You mentioning your friends in the fellowship brought to mind the deep gratitude I feel for my sober friends. We know how to have fun sober! But, they had to teach me first cuz I thought I'd just be stupid, boring & glum without a drink. :lol: I cherish their love and support and I cherish giving mine.

Happy that you're on your way!

Here's to many more 24's :mrgreen:
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:11 pm

Graeme, you help me each time you post a message here in the forum. Sharing your life and your experiences with us -- gives and renews hope for all of us. Also, many new people cruise through the forum just reading the messages. Each time you share -- you're helping one of them also.

The secret to a happy sobriety? You've got to give it away to keep it! And, it's from the giving it -- that we receive more to give! :wink:

Thank you. I appreciate you. Wow. That's something that Graeme is your sons name, Sunlight! Thank you, for sharing also. I hope you know how much I appreciate you, too.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:01 am

Hey Albertawind welcome aboard. The site is the best one I have ever found and I say that not wanting it to go to anyone's head 8) 8)

Just FYI I'm originally from Peterborough, Ontario :oops: :oops:

Arrived where I am today with care and support from the Peterborough, Nepean and Ottawa Police departments. They probably saved my life on a few occasion but I was still pretty pissed in more ways than one at the time:) :) :) 8)
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:24 am

Darn how could I have forgotten (I've got an amazing forgetter) that one where one of the OPP's (Ontario Pickle Pickers, aka the Ontario Provincial Police) finest who so graciously reached out and grabbed my arm and prevented me from falling into an 8 foot ditch. How graciously he also informed the judge of this fact also.

Man that new Grand Prix sure did look fine sitting there in the spot light and all them red and white strobes.

Now that I think of it I can't remember if I was already cuffed or not. Perhaps it was his fault I almost fell in the ditch. I mean what's a bloke to do if he can't flail his arms about a little bit to keep his balance. Perhaps I need to revisit my resentment list :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just some Canadiana for the folks back home. :oops: :P :shock: :D :)
Ranman99

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery