- Hello...what else is there to say

Hello...what else is there to say

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Hello...what else is there to say

Postby sqwirlsgirl » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm

I promised my family that the first weekday after Christmas I would stop drinking. That was today. I woke up heaving and sweating. A few hours later dry heaves and this uncontrollable anxiety. Smoked 12 cigarettes (I hate cigs) and three cups of coffee and don't enjoy that either. Can't keep a thing down, not even water. Finally drank one drink to calm myself and was able to eat half a sandwich. This isn't possible. I will admit I haven't over done it today BUT I get how u kick this.
sqwirlsgirl

Postby tj » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:54 am

Sqwirlsgirl,

Welcome!! I am glad that you stopped in and said "hello". That is enough. The good news is that there is a solution to your present condition. I notice that you are from Killeen, Tx. I have relatives there and am from Texas myself. There is a group there called the Delta Group. I can give you specifics if you send me a private message. I am certain that there will be someone in that group who can give you some "hands on" help while I pray for your here in Spring, tx. Please hang in there--there is a solution. You are in my prayers.

Manette
tj

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:57 pm

It sounds like you need medically supervised detox. Contact your doctor to arrange this. You could end up with serious consequences otherwise.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 am

Welcome to the site sqwirlsgirl. Were you able to make contact for the AA group to help? Did you see a doctor? Just concerned for you. Let us know how you're doing and if we can help.

Best regards,

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks for your honesty and determination, Girl.

Every AAer everywhere identifies to some degree with the initial sudden stop at the end of that free-fall. Bless your heart.

My suggestions:

Don't give up! In view of your reaction, this is extremely important to you, not only for your life, but your quality of life.

Don't try it alone - No need to. You need support and watchfull eyes. The physical withdrawal can be very intense and someties dangerous. See a doctor - preferably one at a treatment center who is thoroughly familiar with alcoholism and addiction. Some doctors aren't as up on this as others.

Go to an AA meeting - DO NOT be embarrassed to let it be know that you are having trouble getting off it. NO ONE there will criticize you. Ask for help. Ask them if there is someone willing to "Step 12" you (say that and you might be surprised how many volunteers you get) - someone who can keep a close eye on you, knows when you need medical help, and can even hold you down as they did me. No shame.

REMEMBER! - Burn this day into your memory, the pain, the craziness, the craving. Write it down if you need to. It comes in handy for me quite often when I wanta drink. I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK THERE!!! That idea disgusts me these days and tends to quel the urge.

Pray - It doesn't matter where you are about religion or spiritual stuff. Start now and just give it a shot. Pray for yourself. Just start telling God you need help - constantly. Forget about not feeling holy or worthy and all that. Just pray for help and don't stop. You're likely to be surprised.

Last - keep going to an AA meeting every day. Listen. Pay attention. Ask a sober lady to "sponsor" you. A sponsor is a mentor who will show you the AA way to stay sober and never go back to where you are now. You'd really like that at the moment, right? Remember and keep going back to meetings

Good luck and God bless your heart. You're doing a good thing for yourself though it may seem impossible right now. Amazing isn't it? The power that stuff has over us that we ignored for way too long. We all did that. We all needed help. That's why we're here for you. Grab it!

Love,
Tim1

PS: Google "AA hotline" in your area. Call them. They might be able to help set you up with help, epecially if you have trouble getting out to a meeting. They are also handy to talk with when you're getting really crazy.
tim-one

Postby sunlight » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:41 pm

A quick hello and welcome! :D

If a hopeless drunk like me can get and stay sober, I bet you can too!

We're here for you and so is AA. Give it a try. It is SO worth the work. There's a new year and a new life coming your way.

Love, Sunlight
sunlight

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery