- Finding the will power to go to a meeting

Finding the will power to go to a meeting

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Finding the will power to go to a meeting

Postby juribe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 am

I just didnt think I could have a Problem at the age of 25. I know now that I have a Problem. I came back from Iraq for the second time and i started to drink a lot...My wife finally had enough and she left back to our home town with my son...A few weeks after that i got my first DUI. For some reason you would think that something would click, but nothin I keep on drinkin. Ive been late to work and for being the Marines u get in alittle more trouble then in a regular job. I come to the conclusion that Iam not a functional alcoholic...I have a problem. Suggestion on how to get started on the program...I want this for me. I need it : )
juribe

Postby Luv » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Hello fellow newbie. Today is my first day here as well. I just got home from my first AA meeting in 4 months and it was wonderful! It felt like I had come home. You just have to jump in and go. The first meeting is the hardest...but it gets better. I feel so good after that meeting, and for me to feel good is something HUGE. I hope to share more "newbie" stories with you in the future. By the way...Thank You for all you do to serve our country.
Luv

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:53 pm

juribe, ditto! Thank you for all that you do by serving our country!!! I appreciate you!

Also, AA is pretty strong, I've been told, in our military.... Lot's of excellent AA's serving others and the country!

Welcome to the site! I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.

Best suggestion that I can offer is: Don't drink! :lol:

And, if you're like I was when I first heard that... my next question was "can someone tell me how not to drink?" :lol: :lol:

As I discovered by being an alcoholic -- I was doomed to drink! Even when sober -- I didn't have what I needed, so that I could stay sober. And, I knew it.

So, I hooked up with some AA's that were staying sober... and started asking them what they did to stay sober, and also doing whatever it was that they did... And, so far... I've been able to stay sober!

I still consider myself to be a newbie, too! The date of my last drink is November 14th, 1986 and this deal has worked pretty good for me! I hope it will be as good for you as it has been for me!

Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby MichalF » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:26 am

Hi juribe

Glad to meet you here.

When I was serving my country There were comunists as rullers and not interesting time at all :( Army was very depraved
Drinking We treated as a way to survive
There was popular joke those days :wink

How We could achieve freedom?
By declaration of war to USA and... in the evening surrender

I started my AA adventure at the age of 25 :)

Keep coming back.
Mike
MichalF

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:09 am

Hey Juribe, welcome and double welcome. I went to my first meeting at 26 but did not get sober for another 18 years. To selfish. I knew I was an alkie but didn't care.

Glad to say I'm 381 days sober. Have been working with a guy here coming up on a year who is 21. I know all about it being tough when we are younger.

I don't regret the past but sure would have been fine if I had at least attended meetings for a year and worked the steps with a sponsor when I was 26. If I could have developed the attitude why not give this a shot for one year do what is suggested and then if I don't like it I'll get back to ruining my life.

My current sponsor was fired from the U.S. Marines some years back. Pretty hard drinker at the time. Never surrender :roll:

Anyway his favourite line for me was giv it a try if you don't like it comes with a misery back guarantee :wink:

It's a great day today :D
Ranman99

Postby Phillip K. » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for your service to our country, and I am still working up the courage to go to a first meeting, this is day 6 sober for me so Im really new at this and have no real life advice but to say im hoping that you and I along with all of those who wish to succeed, do so.
Phillip
Phillip K.

Postby butch » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks to all who serve! Our freedom is priceless. With 5 + months sober, i can only strongley encourage you to go to meetings. I have done about 5 a week, and i KNOW that they are the reason i am sober today. I go to 3 different groups and all were very welcoming. The warmth and good will is outstanding. Remember that where 2 or 3 are gathered, there HE is also. :)

butch
butch

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery