- Brand new to this forum.....

Brand new to this forum.....

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Brand new to this forum.....

Postby Phillip K. » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Hello, my name is Phillip K. and Im an alcoholic.
i have not been to a formal AA meeting, but i wanted to check things out here and get a feel for what this forum is all about.
I have abused alcohol for about 25 years, at my lowest point i was homeless living in my car and when i lost my car, i lived in an out building at my job. that was four years ago, and things are not much better. i can link almost all of the bad things in my life directly to alcoholism....that felt good to say "outloud".
thats all for now its just the tip of the iceberg but ill leave it at that for now

thanks for listening
Phillip K.
Phillip K.

Postby Dallas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:26 am

Welcome to the site Phillip! Great to have you and I hope that you keep coming back! I've been told that there is some really hot AA up in Nebraska! Let me know if you think it's good -- if you decide to check it out. Regardless, of what you decide to do, we're all in the same basket with you! Alcohol took us down, beat us, smashed us, and we're working at staying sober, re-creating our lives, and most of us are feeling pretty good about the progress that we've been able to scramble out for ourselves!

If I can help you in any way -- let me know. Of course, as long as it isn't making a loan or co-signing one! :lol: :lol:

When I first came to AA and heard people say "Let me know if I can help" ... I always wanted to ask "Sure! Can you direct me to the Lending and Finance Department?" :lol:

Best wishes for you!

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Phillip K. » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:35 am

Thank you Dallas, Im actually living with my sister and have a pretty good job right now...just saving some money and trying to get a plan in place. Im getting up the nerve to go to a meeting and check it out. Like I said before I have stopped drinking for up to three months at a time but had no other frame work to build a better life and come to grips with any of the damage I had done to myself and others, that is where a twelve step program would help me to help myself!
thanks again
Phillip
Phillip K.

Postby Dallas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:41 am

Great to see you again Phillip! I understand. I used to live with my sister, while I was trying to put things together and come up with a plan! Gees. It seems like you just told my story! :wink:

Also, similar... I remember when I could go for three or six months, on my own... and not drink! My problem was that after three or six months... for some crazy reason... I'd pick up a drink again, and end up in more trouble. Then, things progressively started to get worse and the time period that I could go without a drink kept getting shorter and shorter and shorter.

Thanks for being here! I appreciate you and I thank you for helping me today!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

introductions

Postby knny913 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi Phillip,
Your story sounds like mine, except I progressed (if you will), before I started losing everything. I started by sleeping at creeks in the city, to being allowed into certian businesses at night in the winters, I stayed at airports all night (back when you could in the early 70's), went to sleeping in friends cars, my sister took me in at one point - but kicked me out a couple of weeks later (accussed me of stealing from her tip jar) I really hated her for that, in my first amends I paid her back with interest, then I got a job and was able to afford a VW bus (home sweet home).
One of the best things in sobriety is the meetings. You will find that the bonding with others will help you to get out of yourself, and with it out of your craving for the bottle. Ths site is the next best thing to an actual meeting, the people here have a lot of great advice and help for new and oldtimers alike. So keep coming back and keeping us up to date, we are here for you and you are in my prayers.
Your friend
Kenny
knny913

Postby Phillip K. » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks guys,
our stories sound eerily familar Kenny....its just good to write and read some of the posts here, many different people with one common bond.
this is day 6 sober for me.
Most of the people i know look at me as the crazy good time party guy, but they all go home to families and nice homes. they dont see that i go home all alone broke after spending money on alcohol that i should have used for lunches for the rest of the week, waking up all alone and depressed. living in my sisters basement ( full of dolls, creepy side story for another time, LOL) sometime I will write about how the whole thing with alcohol started as i became the caretaker for the family, until then i cant thank you all enough.
Phillip
Phillip K.

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery