- Hello! New with a few questions :)

Hello! New with a few questions :)

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Hello! New with a few questions :)

Postby agaliha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:01 am

Unfortunately, I received a DUI and was referred to the program.

I've never been to a meeting before, so I looked into it and attended 2 of what I thought was AA. Come to find out I was actually sitting in Al-Anon.

I'm not sure how AA is going to be different from al-anon besides the obvious relationship part. My counselor told me what to expect but I thought I'd ask first hand:

She mentioned "opening" and "closing" formats, with discussion in between. What exactly are these formats? Are they usually the same.. Preamble opening with lords prayer closing?

She said it sounded like al-anon was similar to the format of AA but I'm just curious.. What should I expect to go on through these meetings?

Thanks in advance! :)
agaliha

Postby 1love » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi....

In my experience, the meetings are "generally" the same. Or at least in theory they are suppose to be. Just like anything, you have good ones and bad ones. If you find a good one, stick with it! The meetings are where people share their E,S & H (experience, strength and hope). Its a good way to meet people and have a great support/resource system. The openings and closing of meetings, yes, are the same.

Im sure there are more "qualified" people on here who can give you a much better answer. I only have just over a year. But its a great program...if you work it, daily! You can not put anything above it. I know it sounds crazy to think that...but as soon as something else becomes a greater priority, you will lose sobriety, and wont have anything.

Thanks for listening to me. Im sure you will get some wonderful responses from the wonderful people on here!!!
1love

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:43 pm

The difference in AA and Al-Anon.

1. AA is for alcoholics.
2. Al-Anon is for NON-alcoholics.

It's like trying to compare steak with fruit. (No offense Al-Anons) :lol:

In AA -- the idea is to get sober and stay sober so that you can live sober. Totally sober. 100% sober. Absolutely no alcohol at all.

In Al-Anon -- you can have a program and still drink.

If you're an alcoholic, and you're not finished drinking, and ready to get some more DUIs... at least, if you're going to Al-Anon, you'll periodically hear that you need to be in AA. Of course, you might also hear this from a judge, a spouse, a doctor, a lawyer, a neighbor, or even your favorite bartender that really does like you. :lol:

I hope that answer helps.

Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby agaliha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Oh no, I went with the intention of going to AA.. They had both sessions going on at once, I was going to the wrong meeting. I figured the subjects were off in the first meeting, then realized I was in the wrong program completely at the second meeting.

So now I'm not sure what to expect with AA.
agaliha

Postby 1love » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I just wanted to correct something I said...when I said the meetings are generally the same I meant AA meetings. From 1 to another. I have not been to an al-anon meeting. So I cannot speak to those. I was strictly talking about my experience with AA meetings.

Sorry....
1love

Postby agaliha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Oh no, that's what I was asking.

It took enough nerve to walk into al-anon thinking it was AA, now its like a new walk-in. So I'm just asking how the meetings usually go.. How they start, what kinds of things are duscussed/shared, how they end, etc. So I have a little bit of knowing what to expect..
agaliha

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Al-Anon is a good Fellowship. I was never a member of their Fellowship, but some of their members sure helped to save my butt a few times! And, I'll be eternally grateful to them.

Perhaps, Life had a purpose... to have you sitting in the "wrong meeting." Sometimes, it works that way. We think we're in the right place at the right time and find out otherwise. Then, we think we're in the wrong place -- and later on down the road, we realize it was the right place for us to be, after all!

Anyhoot! I'm glad you're here! You may be one of us... and regardless if you decide that you are or not... if we can extend a helping hand to you, with a warm welcome... even if you decide we're not for you... hopefully, you'll like us enough to be willing to recommend us to someone down the road, that might need our help.

Make yourself at home. Pull up your chair and ask questions or answer them. Whatever you decide to do, my wish is that it will be of great benefit to you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery