- staying sober

staying sober

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

staying sober

Postby ErikF » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:54 am

My name is Erik and I'm an alcholic. Glad to be sober. I'm new to this online stuff but not new to AA. I have been sober for just over 10 months now. The hardest thing for me is I still have the cravings to drink. Its not that I want to drink but everyone and I mean everyone I hang out with drinks. Will these craving ever go away or will I be dealing with them everyday. Its been 10 months and I still have withdrawals. Will someone give advice or words of wisdom please? I would greatly appreciate it.

One day at a time.
ErikF

Postby Sermon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Erik,
I'm Sermon. I know where your coming from. When I first got here I was hanging out with the same old friends. They didn't offer me beer when I was around because I set a boundry with them (they probably liked the idea of me not drinking because I didn't like myself so I'm sure they didn't like me while I was intoxicated). It came a time though when I would go around them and I would almost get aggrivated when they all started getting drunk. I'm not one to judge them but it would get annoying and I don't have to participate in that. So I started setting a boundry when I did go around them I would set a limit that whenever the same story was told 3 times it was my que for me to go. I started hanging out with the aa crowd alot more. I still go see them on occasions but I really enjoy hanging out with the fellowship. Also I sponsor told me something that stuck with me. He told me, "If you keep going to the barber shop, eventually your gonna get a haircut." That make perfect sense to me for some reason.
Sermon

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Welcome to the site Erik. And, thanks for sharing. If you've read Dr. Bob's story "Dr. Bob's Nightmare" in the Big Book -- you probably already noticed that Dr. Bob had the obsession that lasted a few years -- after him and Bill W. started AA. Read about what he did to stay sober -- with the obsession still going on. And, if you do what he did -- you, too, will stay sober! Best wishes to you and for you.
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: staying sober

Postby Larry H. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 pm

ErikF wrote:My name is Erik and I'm an alcholic. Glad to be sober. I'm new to this online stuff but not new to AA. I have been sober for just over 10 months now. The hardest thing for me is I still have the cravings to drink. Its not that I want to drink but everyone and I mean everyone I hang out with drinks. Will these craving ever go away or will I be dealing with them everyday. Its been 10 months and I still have withdrawals. Will someone give advice or words of wisdom please? I would greatly appreciate it.

One day at a time.

Welcome Erik

Ever consider occasionally hanging out with AA people. We are a lot of fun. I am not saying give up your old friends, just develop some new friends so your statement changes from "everyone and I mean everyone I hang out with drinks" to "some of my friends I hang out with drink." A small change with big results. Second item is I needed a sponsor to guide me through the steps. Working the steps caused my cravings to disappear. Does not happen with everyone. Dr. Bob's story for instance but it did stop for Bill W. and many others.

Larry,
-------------
STEPS = Solutions To Every Problem in Sobriety
Larry H.

Postby Dallas » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:33 am

Thanks for the great suggestions that you post Larry! You're the type of AA that I tried to gravitate towards when I was new. Someone that was uplifting, encouraging, and could offer me practical suggestions on how to stay sober and live sober! I consider myself lucky to be surrounded by guys/girls like you here in the forums on Step12.com I appreciate all that all of you do!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Pebbles » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:31 am

:) I know for me I had to change one thing when I came into AA, and that one thing is EVERYTHING. If I hang out with slippery people, I'll slip. If I go to slippery places(without good reason) I'll slip.
I only hang out with winners these days. My old friends and I don't have anything in common anymore-if nothing changes....nothing changes :wink:

Pebbles
Pebbles

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery