- Daily Check-In

Daily Check-In

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Postby november6 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:55 pm

THATS TOO FUNNY! Oh man, I dont think I'd have the guts.. but it did urge me to check that she hasnt had a car accident or something in the family..! Self-centered me never even thought of that as a possibility..
november6

Postby november6 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:02 pm

New day!

Just got off the phone with sponsor, ha! She and her husband have been at 3 different conferences speaking and one retreat so she got overwhelmed (which anyone could) and said the last week was more responsive to S.O.S. calls.. ha! Had nothing to do with me! Nice brain I have.. Also spent a good deal on the phone with another AA, took Baby Marlo for a walk and have nothing much else planned for the day.. a good start so far -
november6

Postby november6 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:06 pm

Hey all:) it's a nice chilly morn in California today.. Woke up with a happy and giggling baby and my husband and I are outside having coffee and fixing to do our daily relationship meditation.. I feel ready for the days adventures..
november6

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for posting and for the update November! That's great news about your sponsor! :wink:

Sorry I didn't make my check-in w/ you here yesterday!

Nice to hear that your having fun and baby Marlo is having fun, and that you and your husband are having some relationship meditations together! Perhaps, you'll be a good resource for the rest of us -- when we need some suggestions!

Best wishes to and for you and your family!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby PeaceJoy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:30 am

I'm checking in and trying to get my head on straight. I am at my mom's house (end stage chirrosis) and when I arrived yesterday she was 3/4 of the way through a pint of vodka. With her liver as damaged as it is, this was a LOT of alcohol to absorb and she was trashed. I get so annoyed and then she asked me to make a beer run later. I said no, which is really hard to do. Today is a new day and she's irritable. She will probably ask me to buy more booze or she'll get it herself. Or she won't, and she will be grouchy and controlling all day. So.......I will keep my head on straight and not let her mood get me down. I will do a reasonable amount of work for her (for which she pays me) but not be a slave.

PeaceJoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby november6 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:55 pm

Hey all,

Peacejoy, I had a really really crappyday after my last post, and its carried on into today (the 500sf apt -for two married adults and a new baby- for the 2 month temp stay in LA at times brings the hubby and I to quite a brawl) and I am feeling heavy hearted, pretty resentful and, dare I say, hopeless that things will resolve (though they always do!)... and then I came here and saw your post.. First thing I am reminded of is how self-centered my alcoholic mind can be - that I actually thing that the weight of the world is resting sole on MY shoulders today!! I can "know better" than that, but sometimes it can take seeing, in the moment, someone elses hardships to really get it...
I'm sorry to hear about your mother.. My mom has been sober since I was 2 so I haven't any memories of her drinking. My father, who faced with an ultimatum of be in my life or drink, chose drinking, so I know little of him, except that he now has 7-8 years sober.. My litter mate from Tampa, her dad is what I thought of when I saw your post. Almost identical. She did quit buying him alcohol and at a few times was able to get him in contact with a few oldtimers and even some meetings. His alcohol intake was so massive, that unless I am remembering wrongly, there was a time or two when an oldtimer did supply him with alcohol to protect him from DTs on his way to detox. Last I heard there was not sobriety for him, but she was able to have sobriety for herself and with that a lot of support from oldtimers on ways to help, not help, leave, not leave and live with the situation. Andmaybe he is sober today, I am going to ask her about that today. But I do know that her sobriety and the way her life was changing and how she was no longer enabling him had a lot to do with his attempts in AA.. I can't imagine.. glad you came to the site to post about it! I am sure you will get other responses as well.. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers today, Rose
november6

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:04 pm

Do you take someone with you -- when you go to care for your mother?

Here to check in! I'm doing better than deserved. I'm sober, healthy, reasonably happy, and sane most of the time. :lol:

I've had a couple of insane ideas come up -- that dealt w/ my mother also. I spent 13 good years of my life -- taking care of my mother, doing all that I could to be of service to her. The results were not what I had hoped they would be -- and, my insanity was: "Maybe, one more time -- and this time it will be different!" :lol:

I'm resolved to talking to my sponsor before taking those kinds of actions again. And, I believe, based upon my past experience and guidance, what his answers and suggestions will be. Too many times, in this process of "growing up sober" -- I've taken wonderful actions, based on perfectly good motives, with honorable intentions -- that have blown up in my face. :lol: :lol: Sometimes, good ideas, with the best of intentions and motives -- are not always wise ideas. Gees??? Isn't that what I read the first time I read Chapter 5, How it works? :lol:

We do the honorable thing -- but, it still ends up stepping on someones toes -- and they retaliate. Then, we end up feeling sore -- with plenty of reasons to justify it.

My mother has Alzheimers in the advanced stage. She doesn't even have a clue who I am when I see her.

Best wishes for all! Enjoy another wonderful day in Sober Paradise!

Thanks to all of you for being in my life and for your participation in my sobriety!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Do you take someone with you -- when you go to care for your mother?

Here to check in! I'm doing better than deserved. I'm sober, healthy, reasonably happy, and sane most of the time. :lol:

I've had a couple of insane ideas come up -- that dealt w/ my mother also. I spent 13 good years of my life -- taking care of my mother, doing all that I could to be of service to her. The results were not what I had hoped they would be -- and, my insanity was: "Maybe, one more time -- and this time it will be different!" :lol:

I'm resolved to talking to my sponsor before taking those kinds of actions again. And, I believe, based upon my past experience and guidance, that I already know what his answers and suggestions will be. Too many times, in this process of "growing up sober" -- I've taken wonderful actions, based on perfectly good motives, with honorable intentions -- that have blown up in my face. :lol: :lol: Sometimes, good ideas, with the best of intentions and motives -- are not always wise ideas. Gees??? Isn't that what I read the first time I read Chapter 5, How it works? :lol:

We do the honorable thing -- but, it still ends up stepping on someones toes -- and they retaliate. Then, we end up feeling sore -- with plenty of reasons to justify it.

My mother has Alzheimers in the advanced stage. She doesn't even have a clue who I am when I see her.

Best wishes for all! Enjoy another wonderful day in Sober Paradise!

Thanks to all of you for being in my life and for your participation in my sobriety!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby PeaceJoy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:15 am

No, I don't take anyone with me. I leave my family and job to come over here for half the week. It's an hour away from my house so I just stay. When this all started, it was a different situation. Mom was really dying fast. We figured she had a month or two left. She couldn't be left alone at all because she was so weak and needed help walking and everything. She has no medical insurance so between my brother and I we got her to the dr. Got her medications changed around. She got a blood transfusion and another minor surgery that helped. I cooked real food for her. And part of the whole problem was her brother had been living here (financially sponging off of her. She bought all his booze and cigarettes and he contributed zero) and they had let the house get so dirty that Mom was too embarrased to allow a housecleaner to come in and help. So here I am. She pays me and I've been getting her house cleaned out. But with all this, now she is much stronger. She's able to drive herself to the store <usually for liquor> and cook for herself and bathe herself. So now I don't need to be here so much. The thing is.........it's hard to get out of it now that I've started. She enjoys me coming and she will just sit here and go back downhill and the house will go downhill again and we'll be back to square one. It's so frustrating. BUT Oct. 1st medicare will kick in and they might pay for a little bit of home health care. She could pay a housecleaner to come once a week if she had to. But she'd probably start drinking herself right down the tubes again. Her house would get too messy for her to allow a housecleaner in and she'd just lay in her own filth. AAARRRRGGGHHHHH

1. My sobriety is the top priority.
2. My kids (teenagers) come next.
3. Mom next.

Right now I'm putting Mom before my kids. That's fu#%^ up. I know better. So why am I doing it? I'm co-dependant!

PeaceJoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby november6 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Hello all :D

Woke up unrested due to baby land and sudden insomnia but feeling well anyhow! Just finished playing on the floor with Marlo for a bit and am now enjoying some coffee :) Yesterday took a much more comfortable turn starting within minutes of my last post yesterday. The checking in and answering and reading posts really got my mind off of me and out of the gutter and I was suddenly better at looking for what I could offer my situation instead of take.. and imagine that, things slowly became peaceful..

Peacejoy, I spoke with my friend who I wrote shares your exp more than I and she is waiting for her internet to be on at her house and will join the forum.. she is what inspired my sponsor to tell me to come here - her first AA exp was a forum like this one:)
november6

PreviousNext

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery