- With Gratitude.

With Gratitude.

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

With Gratitude.

Postby GaryK » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:11 pm

My name is Gary, yeah, I'm one too..............
Be commin up on 18 months in a few days without the need to pick up a drink or a substitute. I was just headed to bed and shuttin this fool computer down for the night and got lookin at my desktop and saw the shortcut to this site that I haven't clicked on in a long time. It ain't right. Without Dallas, a handful of others, and this port in the storm in the first few hours, days, and weeks of my journey away from booze and towards a better life, I ain't so sure I'd be raisin my hand with gratitude at meetings when they ask anyone with a year or more to raise it. I'd burnt most of the bridges in my area of influence, (some numerous times) a long time ago, and come close not to makin it back into the rooms here where I live out of shame, fear, and self loathing. This forum, the many souls on it that welcomed me in the beginning and gave me the strength to Have Some Hope without ever once checking the roster of how many times in the past I came in, probably saved my life.
I just wanted to say Thank you. Been doin what I was told, ODAT. Once I did my 5th step I breathed in a better tastin air, got my eyes checked, lenses addjusted with 6,7,8,9,10,11, and 12, the sky is a little bluer, the grass a little greener, and the sun feels a little warmer on my face. The world is still sometimes a pretty tough and scairy place for a 6'2, 200 lb. sissy like me, but I see it in a whole different perspective today. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. But they WILL materialist If, we work for them.
With Gratitude. Gary k 8)
GaryK

Postby Dallas » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 am

Congratulations to you Gary, and thank you, for your kindness. I appreciate you! And, thank you for coming back & sharing your progress. It really helps me -- to know that someone got some help from the efforts here and it keeps me grateful! :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Scared

Postby truthbetold » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi. My name is Nikki and I am an alcoholic. I am sooooo freakin scared right now....I started drinking approximately 6 years ago after being sober for 17 years. My husband suffered a traumatic brain injury 18 years ago and I have been his sole caregiver. We lost our home to a fire 11 years ago and it has been a really rough ride ever since. I recently found out that my husband, the love of my life was intentionally being mean to me and our oldest son for the past 10 years in an effort to make us not like him so that he could end his life and we could go on with ours. Like that would work. We recently moved way out in the hills of VT and he has now proclaimed that he has had an epiphany and he loves me - oh, BTW, he recently told me he hadn't really loved me until now. My heart is so broken and I am so angry with myself for not being strong enough to not pick up that drink 6 years ago! Now, I don't know what to do. I'm 49 and haven't worked in so long. I have a lot of executive level skills but I can't seem to secure employment. We live solely on my husband's social security and an annuity. I am so alone. :cry:
truthbetold

Postby Dallas » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Welcome to the site, Nikki . Thank you for sharing.

I really don't know what to day. I doubt if there is anything I could say that would make your situation any better or any different. If I could -- or I knew what, certainly I'd say it. I went through being my mother's caregiver for 13 yrs. And, it was one of the toughest things I've done in sobriety. Fortunately, I was sober, and stayed sober through all of it. I wanted to be able to drink a few times. But, I knew that nothing good could have come from me drinking -- and I had such a tough time getting sober when I was new -- I don't believe I'd ever have, again, what it would take to get sober again. In that sense -- I understand.

What I would suggest is: to keep coming back. At least if you write about what's going on -- it might be a little better than being alone w/ your thoughts. And, if you decide you want to get sober again -- by all means, we'll all be here for you and help in any way that we can.

Best wishes,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Camel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Welcome, Nikki! "There is scarcely any form of trouble and misery which has not been overcome among us."

Hub
Camel

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery