- Introduction

Introduction

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Introduction

Postby Doc Floyd » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:18 pm

Hello everyone, my name is David, and I am an alcoholic.

In fact, I have been one nearly non-stop since 1993. I quit for a few months around 2000, and for a few weeks in 2004. I thought I could control it, stopped drinking on nights before I had to work, but the catch is I drank even more on days off.

At any rate, there was a disagreement a couple of nights ago between me and a family member where I said and did some things I don't recall doing. The police were called, and I was really lucky something worse didn't happen, was also lucky they didn't throw me in the drunk tank.

I've had a few black-outs over the years, lots of crazy stuff I have done that I should be dead from. Guess there is someone looking out for me.

I've had enough, and am checking into what I can do about some rehab, and have looked into joining AA somewhere local. Looking like I will have to go out of town for that though.

Thanks for reading.
Doc Floyd

Postby cue » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:21 am

Welcome to the forum Doc. I can identify with what you experienced. It is not necessary to ever take a drink again :D . Come back and tell us how you are getting on.
cue

Postby Dallas » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:24 am

Welcome to the forum, David.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Doc Floyd » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks for the welcomes.
Doc Floyd

Postby dimples12562 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Welcome Doc! I can relate to everything you wrote about. The day I walked into the rooms of AA I knew that I was among my own kind. A sea of faces of all kinds, race, sex & income! What a mixed bag of nuts lol BUT we were all the same and I knew that even before anyone spoke. I knew thats where I belonged! There is a wealth of info on here and if you can't find it ASK and someone will help you. The key is in the asking!! Good luck Brother!!
~Paula
dimples12562

Re: Introduction

Postby Doc Floyd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Well today makes a year without anything to drink, certainly not been easy, especially with the year I've had.

Couldn't have done it with the help of friends and family, and while I haven't come here much over the past few months, this forum has helped as well. Thanks to all.
Doc Floyd

Postby sunlight » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:34 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!

I don't get here very often either, but this place has been a big part of my sobriety as well.

You are an inspiration hanging in there when it hasn't been easy. Gives us all hope.

Thanks for sharing your day with us!
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Congratulations Doc! I definitely identify w/ you in the first year being a real struggle.
I can't think of any year that was any harder than my first -- other than my second! :-)
It kind of cracks me up when I hear those whose share, whose first few months and few years was a piece of cake.
I had to work hard to stay sober. Taking the Steps certainly made it easier -- but it was still a struggle that would have probably killed a non-alcoholic. :-)

Keep coming back! We appreciate you sharing your good news & your success.
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery