- Tim, alcoholic

Tim, alcoholic

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Tim, alcoholic

Postby Tim R » Thu May 25, 2006 10:07 pm

My name is Tim. I'm an alcoholic.

I thought it was about time that I joined this thing. I've been coming here and reading for the last two years. I try to come here everyday and most the time I make it. There has been a few times that this place has saved my rump. I'm on the road 24/7 and when I can pop in to a Truck Stop I log on and coming here to read is one of the first things I do. I don't get to go to meetings as often as I want to but I do go to three a week when I can. There is a lot of temptation out on the road. I'm not tempted to drink or drug just get tempted to drive over somebody when I get stressed. Just joking with you.

I want to thank you for this place. Its alot different here than the other places online. You all talk about recovery staying sober A A and the steps. I have learned a lot here that helps me everyday. When I need a meeting and I cant go to one this is where I go. I was not going to join because I don't like joining things. Always been a loner so to speak. I might need some better people skills, it is hard for me to talk to people. I do not have a sponsor and I do not plan on getting one soon unless he can ride the road with me. I have taken all the steps and I do them as often as I can. I did my Forth step using those forms here and using my Big book. I have been sober almost 3 years. Bye for now and I will see you all on my next stop.

Tim R.
Tim R

Postby JR » Thu May 25, 2006 10:22 pm

Hey Tim,

Welcome to the site. Both of my brothers are truck drivers. One is in Dallas and the other is in Salt Lake City. The one in Dallas has been sober for 4 or 5 years, can't remember for sure. It is a tough life being on the road, but you probably get a chance to go to meetings on the road and that would be pretty cool. I used to live in Albuquerque and we had a truck driver who would come to my home group on a regular basis when he was in town since we were on his route. I always enjoyed hearing his stories. Hope to hear some of your adventures on the road.

Take care,

Jr
JR

Postby Tina L. » Thu May 25, 2006 10:59 pm

hi tim. im happy u are here. i dont have good people skills. aa is helping me to get better. i hope u share more often. it will be good for u and for me. i got a sponser and im sober 2. i was fearfull of getting a sponser. im learning to like women. i wanted a man sponser but dallas said i need a women sponser and he helped me find one. women are not bad its just i feel safer talking to a man. i had a brother name tim. be carefull tim. i mean drive carefull and go to meetings and keep coming back. Tina xoxoxo
Tina L.

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri May 26, 2006 2:00 am

hi Tim, grats on three years... sober on the road, would make a good book, dont tell Oprah, lol......... glad you post'd this, it may show someone that it can be done.... hey, your carrying the message, WTG Tim......agw & gol, RZ :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Sat May 27, 2006 7:52 pm

Tim,

Welcome to the site! I'm glad you're here and that you made a decision to join so that you could share with us in return. I understand and identify with "not being a joiner" and with being a "loner" and with "the desire to have better people skills." Describes me perfectly!!! Most of the people that know me... don't recognize how "shy" I am... until they really get to know me! AA has helped me in all those areas.

I'm glad you've been coming here for a while and that the things that you've found here have been useful to you and that it was good enough to keep you coming back!

I knew that someone was coming here reading all the time but not joining in... hopefully, some day the others will feel more comfortable to join in and begin to share their stories with us also.

The next time you wheel through Fort Smith, Arkansas, I hope you'll look me up and let me buy you a cup of coffee! And, if you'd like to go to a meeting here, we can do that, too!

A couple of weeks ago, two truckers... driving two different trucks... for two different companies... came to one of our small meetings on the same day.

Evidently, they were in the same truck stop, and one of the drivers recognized that the other driver looked really stressed out like he was having some major stuff going on. The driver approached the other driver to check on him... and, they discovered that they were both AA members... and the driver that needed help, got the help that he needed.

It was one of those "is it odd or is it God" type things!

They had never seen each other before... and didn't know each other... no bumper stickers, no rings, caps or t-shirts...and the one driver did what we learn to do in here... to keep our eye open for someone, alcoholic or not... that we can help!

The driver checking on the other driver had him leave his rig in the truck stop, and they drove the other rig into town. He called our AA Hotline number, and the AA member was able to guide them in to the meeting.

I've always had a desire to drive one of those big trucks! Since I was a kid I've had that obsession to drive one! The driver that drove his rig to the meeting let me crawl up inside it and check it out!!! Awesome!!! Made me want to become a trucker!

As we were talking after the meeting they let me know that there are many AA members out there on the road... driving sober, and living the good life!!! Sure makes me grateful and proud to be a member of AA!

We have a lot of trucking companies in Fort Smith, and elsewhere in northwest Arkansas... maybe it would be a good idea for us to get some little cards made up that we can put by the pay phones or put them in the driver's lounges, with the AA Hotline number on it.... This way if a driver is an AA member, and he needs to talk to another AA member, or needs a meeting.... it will make it easy for him to find us. And, who knows... maybe we can find a driver who's not a member... but would like to inquire! :wink:

Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery