- I'm starting over

I'm starting over

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Postby garden variety » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Well they always told me that "thinking isn't your strongest suit." Then they'd say fun stuff like this:

-Just because a bird lands in your head doesn't mean it's gotta make a nest.

-When Daniel got out of the lions den, he didn't go back because he forgot his hat.

-You went through hell before. You'll go through hell again. This time don't stop and visit!

The thing for me is, I know today when I wake up, that I can't keep myself sober. So it doesn't matter what I think, it's beyond my human ability to resist the first drink. You guys have the Power, but you gotta ask for it and use it whenever you get the thought, craving, or urge...

"God grant me your Power to keep sober yet another day" (you can replace "day" with "hour" or "minute")

There is not a single day that passes that I don't pray that simple prayer because I know the illness that I have, and I know what I don't have...and that is the Power to overcome the illness of alcoholism. "No human power could relieve our alcoholism...God could and would if He were sought."

Now heres the thing about the "God thing". The Big Book says you only have to be WILLING to believe there is a power greater than you. Then it says you have to be HONEST enough to know you can't beat it. Then it says you have to be OPEN-MINDED enough to scrap the prejudice you have against finding a God. Those 3 things, honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness are the "HOW" to staying sober and working step 2. The Big Book then has the nerve to say you are "guaranteed" to have a start. Just those 3 things...you don't even have to "believe in" a God.

I have to TRUST the process, because I'm "driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity" when I pick up the first drink. I'm just no more good because I've lost my judgement. I can't rely on me.

Please...don't try to think out of it. Just pray! The God many of us know has never failed.

"God grant me your Power to keep sober yet another day"
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:29 am

Thank you, GV!!!

I've often been amazed at how many times the words think and thinking are used on page 86, Big Book.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually counted them? :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:23 pm

Hey! Wait a minute! They never told me God gave me brains to use! I want my money back! Wicked sponsors! :shock:

But seriously, Dallas, thanks for the page 86 reminder. If I don't know how or what to pray about, page 86 makes it real clear.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:17 pm

I like that prayer that Scott posted... "God... bless me Big Time!" :lol:

I've been trying it out for the last two days, praying it over and over again, and some really neat stuff has been showing up each day! (I'm of the Experimental Variety) :wink:

Here's a few things I like about the prayer:

1. It's an easy way for me to keep my mind on God. When I do that, everything always seems to go better.

2. It's not asking for anything in particular... so, for me, it's like saying "Your will God... Let me have whatever it is you want for me instead of everything I want for me."

3. It's easy to remember.

4. It's positive. It helps me keep my mind on what I want rather than letting my mind run loose... which invariably seems to run to what I don't want. When I'm thinking about what I want... it's easy to stay happy. When I'm thinking about what I don't want... it's easy to be unhappy. :wink:

GV, I really appreciate reading all the messages that you post! It's some really great stuff and I appreciate you taking your time and your recovery to share it here with us!

And, .... you're really an awesome Greeter!!!!! If we can now figure out how to clone you... we can have one of you at each of the doors that lead into the site! :wink:

Thanks for being here and have a great day!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby kjeank » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:33 pm

I'm hanging in there, day by day. Not real happy with myself, but determined not to let this thing beat me. I will not give up!

Dallas, I like what you said about "thinking about being sober," instead of thinking about fighting the drink. I think way to much about wanting that drink and fighting against it. I am going to try your more positive approach of thinking about sober. I will let you know if it helps. I know when it comes to weight and dieting :x , whenever I think about dieting, all it makes me do is think about food more and want to eat constantly. So if I use this comparison, all my thoughts about not drinking are really making me want to drink. So I think there is some validity to reversing the thought process.

The mind is a mysterious thing (and scary too!).

I also agree with you GV, about turning it over to God and let him take over. That darned CONTROL thing has a bad tendacity of sneaking in all the time and then taking over. I do know that I think way to much and it hurts my head alot!! :D So I am going to work on your ideas too.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I need them alot right now.
And you hang in there Smyth. I am cheering you on! Thanks for posting to me. I feel kind of special that I was your first post.

KJ
kjeank

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:47 pm

KJ, thanks for checking in. We do care about you! And, we think about you and wonder if you're okay... if we don't hear from you. You know... it's like caring about someone and not knowing if they're alright or not.

The 12 Steps would solve all of the problems that you're going through. That's what they're for... to bring the relief that we need so that we can get on with our lives and recover.

I know that they (the 12 Steps) don't look like it... they didn't look like they would do much to me, either. I waited and tried everything else, before trying the 12 Steps... and after I did the 12 Steps, I got so much relief that I kept kicking my self in the butt asking "why the heck did I wait so long to take them?" They really do work! Of course... I don't mean just taking them in the head... like reading them and thinking them through... I mean like reading the Big Book, and following the precise instructions for doing them.

My thoughts are with you and I wish the best for you. And, if at all possible... don't stay away so long!!!! Hurry back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tina L. » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:51 am

kj this 2 shall pass if u stay sober get a sponsor an take the steps. u r n the right place. god loves u and we love u 2.

tina xoxoxoxo
Tina L.

Postby Anne » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:20 pm

Hi, KJ!

You don't like yourself very much? :shock:

I didn't like myself either. But . . . when I think about how sick I was when I came into AA, I have to wonder how qualified I was to know whether I was likeable or not. :)

My sobriety date is January 11, 1992. Nothing hurts me more than to see people go back out when they have not done the steps. Inevitably, once they do so, they feel completely different. The BB says "If you want what we have...then you are ready to take certain steps." It doesn't say to WAIT!! Don't take 4 years to do the steps like I did. I unnecessarily dreaded them and hung onto a lot of pain for a long time FOR NO REASON except that I was not taught to take the steps immediately.

Now, when I get a sponsee, that is our first order of business, and if I can swing it, we'll get them through the steps in a matter of a few days.

I have taken several people through the first three steps over the telephone. I have an unlimited long-distance plan and am willing to do that with anyone! Just PM me with your phone number and your real first name; or I'll be happy to PM you with my phone number. I'm not a nutcase . . . okay . . . not a COMPLETE nutcase. :)

Dallas: What a GREAT idea! While I haven't thought about drinking in a very long time, it seems a great way get rid of the negative thoughts, which is one of the hardest things I did when in early sobriety. My biggest fear was . . . if I wasn't going to drink . . . just what the heck WAS I going to do?? They say, when you quit smoking, to do things differently instead of your regular routine. I'd say that should help, too. If you usually went to the bar after work, then go do something ELSE after work, don't go home and sit in your sh*t! If you went out on weekends, find something to do on weekends to occupy your time. And for goodness sake, don't make it something painful like cleaning out the garage! If it was good enough when you were drinking, it'll wait a while! And don't decide it's also time to quit smoking and start exercising and, and, and . . . try to have some real fun. Pick up the phone (or the mouse!) before you drink. :) Give us an opportunity to help you through the rough times. You will be helping US to stay sober, too.

What a great forum.
Anne

Postby kjeank » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:09 am

Hi All,
I just wanted to give you a little update on my progress.

I have been trying Dallas' suggestion out of thinking about being Sober rather than not taking a drink (think the positive rather than the negative). Well, I have to say it works wonderfully! Every time that demon thought of a drink crosses my mind, I think "I want to be sober, I LIKE being sober." I feel so much better right after that. It is amazing what a turn of phrase can do for a person....me! :D So Dallas, thank you.

And GV, about that praying and turning it over to God...., well I have been working on that as well. Last night I went out to dinner and there was a bar in the restaurant. I wanted to go over and get a drink sooooo bad. But I kept repeating my Dallas saying and praying for God to take this desire away, because I really did not want it. After a few minutes, I realized that he truly had taken that desire away from me. I felt better and I made it through dinner without that demon thought returning. That is the very first time I felt such direct relief. WOW! Thank you for that message.

I think I am going to make it this time. That is my plan! And I know it is God's plan for me too!

Thank you all for your wonderful help and support.
kjeank

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 pm

KJ!!!! Great to hear from you!!!

I believe you're going to make it this time, too!!!

Thank you for checking in.

It's wonderful to hear it from you... that you're doing well!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery