- I'm starting over

I'm starting over

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Postby garden variety » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:32 pm

God bless girl.

Just keep on repeating those things that work for you. You'll get a smile on your face more and more. Thats good to replace thoughts of not drinking with thoughts of staying sober...makes sense to me. And it's also good to remember that that Higher Power is always going to take away that desire anytime you ask. I'm really happy for you, and thanks for sharing that with us.
garden variety

Postby Dale R. » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:19 am

One thing that I did years ago when I stopped, was to read. It keeps you busy, and you learn. My sponsor told me to stick with AA books. I never understood back then, but now having a few 24hrs, I see it was to keep me focused on the AA program. There are many books available, but not alot of support groups that go along with them. I read almost all of the AA books, and then switched to Grapevines. They keep you focused, and everything is AA.

"Living Sober" is a good beginners book too. Many good ideas in there. Of course everyone should read the first 164 pages of the big book, from page one. Don't skip around, don't just read the stories.

Service work, I can not emphasize enough. Even helping make coffee. It will get you involved, and help you make new friends. The more friends you have, the better.

Share at meetings. I often listen, (it is a skill), and newcomers share, and it helps me out. Even people with 40 years need to be reminded daily. Step meetings are good as well. Learn the steps. Even if you are not working a particular step, you can at least get a handle on what you have to do.

Do a 10th step nightly. Review your day, and if you screwed up, fix it ASAP. This keeps your current life in order. Its harder to deal with the past, if your present is in shambles.

Most of all, Don't drink and go to meetings!

Dale
Dale R.

Re: I'm starting over

Postby Banjoman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:51 pm

kjeank wrote:Hi. I'm KJ and I was sober for almost 4 months then 2 weeks ago slipped and am having trouble getting off this merry-go-round. I have been drunk 4 times in 2 weeks. I picked up a new desire chip Monday, and today I turned that one in for another new one.

2 weeks ago, I just decided I was tired of being an alcoholic and working the program, etc. So I drank. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?! Then the shame and guilt start in, then I hurt so much I want that to stop, so I drink again.... I am sure this sounds familiar to many of you.

So I guess I am struggling right now, but I am still trying and I am not going to give up.
Hi my name is Mike and I AM an alcoholic. Why torture yourself any more? Although not AA approved literature My sponsor made me type out the 12 rewards but to reverse them. At the top of the form he asked me to type.. If I drink again I can have:- For instance.. Desparation instead of Hope. etc etc.

Its been working for me although I am only 6 weeks back into AA. I was sober for 17 years until I dropped my meetings, took over myself, and after another 3 years, drank for 2 weeks. Went another 5 months with AA and drank for 3 days... My last drink was 6 weeks ago. I went back to basics and feel now that With Gods Grace and me working the action of AA steps on a daily basis I WILL be ok this time for another 17 years at least. Right now I am taking a personal step 4 inventory of myself. Stick with it and lots of prayer to your HP will help. Seek advice and stick with the old timers.
Banjoman

Hello Mike!

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:10 am

Hello Mike! Welcome to the site. Glad to have you join in. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Hello Mike!

Postby Banjoman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:00 pm

Dallas wrote:Hello Mike! Welcome to the site. Glad to have you join in. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Dallas
I am having a good day. Hope you are in the same frame of mind as I.. Thanks for the welcome. Doing the things I have to do on a daily basis. More than ever before I know this is a one day at a time program and thats the way I like it. Hitting my meetings on a daily basis. Had the keys in my back pocket to contact the HP. Using them daily. Without those keys I can get nowhere only back to a bar. Got great sponsor and friend. Taking direction no questions asked this time. Not going to let the AA books gather dust ever again. Willingness and open mindedness is at the top of my list with a strong desire to stop drinking. its working. I have no fear that it will work again for me. I am living proof that it works if I work it and will FAIL if i dont work it. Same job as you hold many moons ago in the UK. Putting together a 4th under supervision right now and looking forward to walking through that arch to freedom once again. Take care for now and thanks again my friend.. mike
Banjoman

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:26 am

Thanks for your sharing Mike!!! Your words of wisdom and experience from your other messages inspired the reflections that I shared tonight in a meeting... "Why I keep coming back!"

So... double thanks to you!

I thinks that's such a totally awesome thing about this AA deal... you sharing about yourself helps you and it helps me... then, as you've helped me... I end up sharing about it, and it helps me, and then gets passed on to help someone else... and the cycle of healing and recovery and upliftment and encouragement snowballs from a tiny seed that was shared from one person to another..... to another..... to another..... to another..... to another..... to another..... to another..... Totally awesome!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Hi Mike, I'd like to welcome you and give you this computer handshake thing. Consider your hand shook, and boy are you ever among your own kind!

17 years worth of 24 hours, and you do what us alcoholics do in a heartbeat. If something is working good, life is getting better, the finances are good, I'm getting along with family, freinds, and relatives, I'm holding down a job, WELL THEN its time to stop doing what is working! God I can relate to that! Somebody told me this is called "Alcologic".

I'm glad you had one more recovery left partner! Sometimes them numbers don't always work out to go to the positive side. I know I got one drunk left, but in my heart, I know that would be my last one. This is the only recovery left for me. I'm grateful to a fella with some 45 years worth of 24 hours that pointed that out.

Please don't get me wrong when I say this, but your story backs up what I've been told over the years. There is NEVER a bad example in AA. Thank you for sharing yourself, you have given me a lot to be grateful for.

God bless
garden variety

Postby Banjoman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:53 pm

garden variety wrote:Hi Mike, I'd like to welcome you and give you this computer handshake thing. Consider your hand shook, and boy are you ever among your own kind!

17 years worth of 24 hours, and you do what us alcoholics do in a heartbeat. If something is working good, life is getting better, the finances are good, I'm getting along with family, freinds, and relatives, I'm holding down a job, WELL THEN its time to stop doing what is working! God I can relate to that! Somebody told me this is called "Alcologic".

I'm glad you had one more recovery left partner! Sometimes them numbers don't always work out to go to the positive side. I know I got one drunk left, but in my heart, I know that would be my last one. This is the only recovery left for me. I'm grateful to a fella with some 45 years worth of 24 hours that pointed that out.

Please don't get me wrong when I say this, but your story backs up what I've been told over the years. There is NEVER a bad example in AA. Thank you for sharing yourself, you have given me a lot to be grateful for.

God bless
I am very grateful to AA. I had 17years of great life. Stilling enjoying life to the fullest. Back in the rooms and loving it. In my heart, I felt that I never left AA... Can you believe that? The best part about it this time is that I am working the steps through again. Very grateful to my HP (God). Feel reborn once again. No shame. Thats what alcoholics do best/worst... DRINK... I am not going to whip myself back to the bar. Thanks for being there for me... Mike
Banjoman

Postby DC » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:53 am

HEY K,
THE BIG BOOK OF ALCHOLICS ANONYMOUS SAYS THAT 50 PERCENT DO RECOVER IF THEY "TRY",,,SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ARE STILL TRYING,,SO HANG IN THERE AND DON'T GIVE UP BEFORE THE MIRACLE HAPPENS. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU.
DC
DC

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:44 pm

Welcome to the board DC!

Hope to read some more from you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery