- Hi My Name is Karen and I am an Alcoholic

Hi My Name is Karen and I am an Alcoholic

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Hi My Name is Karen and I am an Alcoholic

Postby Karen » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:40 am

I couldn't get to a meeting tonight and was surfing the net and found this group. Yay!

My name is Karen and I am an alcoholic. My sobriety date is November 24, 1989 (by the Grace of God) and the people I have met in this program.

November 24, 1989 was the first day of my sobriety and the birthday of my oldest son. The day he was born was the day I realized I loved someone more than myself and I also knew I had to change. But Lord, back then, I had no clue as to how to live my life without parties and alcohol and other things. So what I did was hide. I did not go out, I did not call anyone - I went to work and came home - for awhile that worked. Back then I lived in a small apartment complex and my next door neighbor had just moved out and I remember saying a little silent prayer, please God, don't let an alcoholic move in. What a weird strange prayer. But ya know we have a God that has a sense of humor or I would like to think He has one. A month later, I saw my new neighbor. I just cringed inside because I'm still hiding. I'm not drinking, not going out - and leading a mostly miserable existence and I see him. A heavy hitter and I'm thinking, just great, just what I needed. He sees me, he knocks on the door. I invite him in and before I get a chance to say anything, he says, Karen, I am a recovering alcoholic. I don't drink today.

A couple of weeks later I was at my first AA meeting and almost 17 years later, I am still very grateful to be a recovering alcoholic. This is just a little bit of my story - it sure helped me tonight to remember how it all began and I look forward to meeting you all.

xoox
Karen
Karen

Welcome!

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:03 am

Hello Karen,
Welcome to Step12.com!
Thanks for joining in and participating.
I enjoyed your share and look forward to reading more from you!

KCB!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:29 am

Hi Karen,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing some of your story. Yeah, whodathunk those little babies could steal such a huge chunk of our hearts, eh? Mine is 14 now, and my heart skips a beat when I see her face while she's sleeping. Thank God I found these rooms and she can see me sober.
anniemac

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery