- Marley

Marley

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Marley

Postby Marley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:10 pm

Thanks folks for your reply's.

I think maybe I've just gotten too comfortable in my sobriety and want to move on with my life. What I've forgotten is that staying sober is a lifetime commitment.

I've got to try harder, I think, to get into the social aspect of AA. I've never been a very social person. I don't know why, whether it's lack of self confidence or just being shy. Overcoming this could be my next major step in my growth in sobriety.

You've all given me much food for thought. Thanks again.

Marley
Marley

Postby anniemac » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:10 pm

Hey Marley,

I know what you mean about socialization and AA. I was very shy as a kid, but thought I had overcome that ~ when I was drinking, I always wanted to be the center of attention and the life of the party. I was surprised to find out that in sobriety I am still shy by nature. I guess some of that has to do with self-confidence or lack thereof. The great thing I find in AA is that when I share that with others, most folks identify. The group of women I know all appear to be confident women, but underneath it all they share the same fears and concerns that I do. Knowing that kinda levels the playing field and it's easier for me to be social.

Socialization within AA is great; the Fellowship is a wonderful support system. I do have to remember, though, when my phone is not ringing off the hook, that I go to AA first for my sobriety and second for friendships. Even if I don't find the friendships, I still want my sobriety.
anniemac

comfortable in sobriety

Postby Dallas » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:20 am

Hey you two!!! Thanks for the messages that you posted! I appreciated reading and reflecting on the topic!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery