- Hello, I'm Jim and Alcoholic

Hello, I'm Jim and Alcoholic

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Hello, I'm Jim and Alcoholic

Postby chinook2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:20 am

Hi, I’m Jim an Alcoholic. Been without a drink since 5/4/1988 – which seems at times like a few days ago. I love the program and those who seek its practice and promises.
As was recently said in this forum – not drinking has continued to be a desire – but the experience of unworthiness, judgment (misery in one form or another) is always just around the corner with me regardless of circumstances (duh…could it be me who is the problem? :) ). Being the horse who refuses to drink of the water, I still endeavor to fix those feelings with music, food, what-ifs and other; but can honestly say the program and its steps and people and higher power are the real relief I’ve found.
Have been around and working with computers for 40 years, but never imagined a community online. Don’t make as many meetings as I first did, with lots of job and family that I choose to occupy most of my time, and am grateful to be able to read the musings and experiences shared by others here. Got to wonder if Bill W. wouldn’t have been REALLY amazed at the distance from hunting down people to help to logging on to a site and seeing this much hope and sharing. Will strive to be a participant in the best spirit of the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I look forward to reading more and using this to help me do the things regularly that make this thing so incredibly effective. May not replace meetings, but certainly replaces the absence of meetings :wink:
God Bless and good luck for a wonderful day.
chinook2

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:13 am

Hello Jim! Welcome to the forums! Glad you're here! Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself, to share yourself and to share your experience, strength and hope with us! I look forward to reading much more from you.

It truly is amazing how technology has come to us in such a way that many can now be reached -- who might otherwise lived lives alone, not knowing that a solution existed -- a freedom and peace of mind -- that really was free and required only the practice of a very simple course of action that anyone can take.

It's awesome.

Sometimes, when I'm reading messages posted here in the forum, I have these nostalgic thoughts -- of AA, back in time, when letter writing and the mailman were the hi-tech methods of communication with alcoholics who were trying to find out about AA, and AA members in distant places -- trying to connect with other AA members. And, sometimes, I think about that sentence on page 164, BB: "He will show you how to create the fellowship that you crave." :wink:

Jim, thank you for the fellowship! I hope you'll consider becoming a regular around here!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi Jim ~

Welcome! I love what you wrote -- "May not replace meetings, but certainly replaces the absence of meetings" !!

Nice to have you here, and I'd love to hear more of your ES&H.

Dallas ~~ is that where the "Primary Purpose Group" is, Chris & Myers R.? Can't recall which TX city they are from....I have a recording of them speaking at a weekend convention up here in NY.

Always think of two songs when I think of TX:

"That's The Way The Girls Are From Texas" by Ry Cooder, and
"That's Right, You're Not from Texas" by Lyle Lovett

Familiar with either of them?
anniemac

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery