- welcoming the newcomer

welcoming the newcomer

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

welcoming the newcomer

Postby waitresscheryl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:51 am

Hi Everyone, I did not know what to put this under, so I decided to use to Introduction section. We had a workshop today, and it was about welcoming the newcomer. One thing that was brought up, was greeting people as they come in, which is not done here, it is a small community, and we do not get as many new people here, sort of a closed community, and not near as big as where I got sober. One person suggested giving out newcomer packets. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am also on the Special Needs committee, which in some communities is called other things like Excessibilities, or whatever, does anyone have any input on this, and how things are done in different areas? I would appreciate any input. Thanks so much. Cheryl
waitresscheryl

Postby Dallas » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:41 am

Hi Cheryl! Thanks for posting the topic here! It will be nice to see what others are doing in different areas and also nice to see what suggestions follow. I think the newcomer packets sounds like a good idea. Different meetings and groups that I've attended -- all pretty much seemed to do things differently. Our great A.A. diversity! :lol: In some groups I've seen them give nothing, others... a meeting directory... others a phone list... others, a Big Book, and still others.... a combination of all of the above, and then some. At the World Services website there is a huge list of information, booklets and pamphlets that are available.... (probably the same literature that fills most literature racks in the meetings that have them).

I hope you keep us posted on what you guys finally decide. Maybe it will give some of us ideas of what we can do, or possibly do better in our own meetings. I would also like to hear more of what you'll be doing on the Special Needs committee. We used to have a specific forum here titled "Service work"... but it never got any messages posted to it. :cry:

One of my favorite and most rewarding jobs at meetings has been to be a greeter! It helps me stay out of myself... and in direct contact with the new members and the old ones! :wink:

Keep us posted!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Zanthos » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 am

In some of the meetings around NYC, where I was first exposed to the Program, the "Newcomer Package" consisted of a meeting list and a copy of the book Living Sober. I just finished re-reading Living Sober and it's really great.

But the book I got the most out of during my first months of sobriety was 24 Hours A Day. I don't think it is AA conference approved, but a lot of meetings back East are based on readings and discussion of it.
Zanthos

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery