- i'm back

i'm back

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

i'm back

Postby rpallen » Sun May 20, 2007 4:10 pm

hey all,
been out of touch for a while. went to hospital with a cramp in my arm and they decided it was not a cramp but a full blown heart attack, and split me open and bypassed EVERY VEIN on the outside of my heart. i am fine now!!! yea!!!!. (quadruple + 4 bypass) so i now have a new life, new sobriety date(morphine) and i LOVE IT!!!!. TO GIVE UP MY PREVIOUS SOBRIETY IN ORDER TO LIVE WAS A GREAT DEAL FOR ME!!!
APR 25 2007 i died!! APR 29,2007 i was released from the hospital!!! my doc said he was going to make me the poster child for the Cardiac Care Unit!! me ,48 years old ,a poster "child" hahaha!!!
God keep me around for a reason, not sure why yet, but will pray for the answer to be shown to me!!
great to be alive, great to be sober, and most of all great to be able to say I love my AA family and friends!!!!!! rich a.
rpallen

Postby anniemac » Sun May 20, 2007 9:28 pm

Welcome back, Rich, and I'm so glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you've been given a new lease on life!!

I must ask, though - you were given the morphine under dr.'s orders, and you changed your sobriety date? Or you were taking it not as prescribed? I'm not understanding a change in sober date if you were taking a medication as per the doc's instructions and I'd love for you to clarify on that for me.

Thanks and glad you're here!!
anniemac

Postby rpallen » Mon May 21, 2007 3:16 am

hey anniemac,
thanks for the welcome back . to clarify my sobriety date.
i chose to "restart" my sobriety date as i was given morphine under doc orders, as a direct result of my actions from smoking cigarettes and causing my situation! i am not in any way saying that this applies to any one else!!!!!!! i feel that i died(actually did for a short while)and that God and the docs gave me a new LIFE. strange as it sounds i like having a new sobriety date as i now do not do alcohol,drugs, cigarettes, or any thing that will alter my mind. cigarettes did ,they would calm me down if i was stressed. also in the old days (20 years ago)stolen morphine was a alternitive for when i had no booze. so i chose to restart as i need to restart my "NEW" sober life!!! may sound silly but it is great for me. love ya!!! rich a.
rpallen

Postby Dallas » Mon May 21, 2007 4:11 pm

That reminds me of when I went into the hospital about 10 years ago... similar situation... the Doc was trying to give me morphine shots to stop what appeared to be a heart attack and I kept fighting him -- telling him "I'm a sober alcoholic! And, that shot may start me to drinking again!" The Doc won the fight... and I thought that it meant "Yes, I lived, but I lost my sobriety date!" My sponsor told me that this was different... and, that I didn't need to change my sobriety date because of what the doctor did in treating me.

I did get a resentment over getting morphine shots for my heart... and then not getting a high from it! (My luck to get a freebie and not feel it!) The only thing I remembered was the pain from what felt like an elephant stepping on my chest!

Glad you made it through your ordeal, Rick -- nice to see you back! Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Mon May 21, 2007 7:49 pm

Ah - ok, gotcha, Rich, thanks for explaining! I did consider myself more "sober" when I gave up smoking...and I don't consider myself very sober when I binge-eat everything in sight. :oops:
anniemac

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery