- Hi, new to here and new to AA

Hi, new to here and new to AA

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Hi, new to here and new to AA

Postby MIM » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:22 pm

Hi I am MIM and alcoholic
It is 29 days since I wandered into an AA meeting in Bondi, and 29 days since my last drink. I have read quite a bit here and have appreciated some of the wisdom and humour shared here. So I thought I should introduce myself rather than keep lurking 8)
I am happy to be in the program and am currently "äddicted"" to all things AA so it was great to find this site

thx
MIM

Postby garden variety » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:59 pm

Well howdy MIM and welcome.

Looks like your from that big old "Outback" island sitting in the Pacific Ocean. Wow thats a long way to come for that good old "A & A" as we sometimes call it. So you got meetings out there too? How about telling us all a little about AA Outback style - greatly appreciate it. I'll make a comment up here at founders day for you which is next weekend if you like.

God bless and welcome
Paul
garden variety

Postby anniemac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:43 pm

Welcome Mim,

Congratulations on 29 days of sobriety!! Awesome stuff. I heard a woman speak at a meeting over the winter, from Australia. Actually she's American-born and raised but moved down there a couple of years ago. She loves the AA down there, so I trust that you're in good hands.

~ Anne
anniemac

thanks

Postby MIM » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:12 am

Hey thanks for the welcome

AA is good here in sydney - there are lots of meetings, I go down to Bondi most mornings where they have a dialy reflections meeting at 8 am, it is a nice way to start the day as our room overlooks the beach.
I also go to one BBS group, one steps group and one beginners group and a few Id meetings.

I am packing them in eh? most days I go to 2 meetings.

We had two visitors from the good ole US of A at a meeting yesterday one Lady from Florida who was something like 30 years sober and treating herself to a round the world tour on her retirement - she was an inspiration.

Yes it is founders day this Sunday in Australia and I am going down to an all day get together in Sutherland., south Sydney.

Thanks again for the welcome good to meet you garden variety and anniemac :D
MIM

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:35 am

Hello MIM!!! Welcome to the site and to the forums!!!

Glad you're here!

I would congratulate you on your 29 days ... but, if my "figuring" is right... I'd rather congratulate you on your 30 days!!!! ( I'm trying to stay in the present! ) :lol:

Founder's Day in Austrailia!!!! I'll bet that's awesome! And, an experience I'm sure you'll not want to miss!

We will be celebrating Founder's Day in a few days!

72nd Anniversary of Alcoholics Anonymous
Celebrate Founders' Day!
June 8, 9, 10, 2007
Akron Ohio

I remember when I had 29 days, and 30 days... and I wasn't very cheerful by then! :oops:

But, the cheerfulness and laughter and the happiness and joy and freedom and the new life that I experience was worth all the pain and misery that I had to experience to get from where I was -- to and where I am today!

It's very refreshing to know that you've got some good rock-solid AA nearby... and, that you are participating in your many opportunities for recovery!

Maybe... I should pack up my Big Book and my dogs and head for Australia!!! :lol: I love sober adventures!

Keep coming back, MIM! Make yourself right at home here with us! It's great to have you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:12 am

Welcome a'board, MIM :)

Oh...ouch...I still remember my first month...was taught to never forget it either. Heck, girl...at a month, I was still 'drunk' I had so much lightening in me. At a month and a half, I got told by a guy who at that time had 17 years that: at least I was starting to look like I was gonna live, I wasn't a g'zillion shades of green and grey and yellow and yik...this guy is a 'biker' dude, to hear him say yik, and shiver the way he did when he said it...it set me back :shock: ...at a month and a half, there was a little flicker of an awakening at just how bad it really was, denial was beginning to be replaced by reality. Didn't know if I liked it or not...but I sure didn't want to go back there, and that's all I knew for sure...at least I knew this much, my name was Anne, and I was an alcoholic (still am :wink: )...that in itself was a relief for me. These 'bloaks' told me and assured me that I could just be me...even if I didn't know who that was yet...they'd help me figure that out. I didn't have to worry about offending anybody, saying anything I shouldn't...I could let my hair down and just be. There were 2 words that deflated my balloon as though it'd been stuck by a pin that one guy said to me, those 2 words were: It's okay. Man...the sincerety he said that with, and the depth...a little tap of emotions was opened, just a little. Then he said: welcome to recovery. You stick around, keep your mind and your ears open...you just might make it. :wink:

Just passin' on what was passed to me.

One day at a time, kid,
Peace,
Anne
musicmode

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery