- Long time AA member-new to this forum

Long time AA member-new to this forum

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Long time AA member-new to this forum

Postby Geno28 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:34 pm

Hi everybody my name is Geno, and I am an alcoholic in my 42nd year of sobriety. I have joined this board for a very simple reason which is I need
more input in my program than I am currently receiving. Small town AA is the very toughest kind IMHO and I'm most grateful for the net and all its possibilities. I came into AA in 1948 at 19 years of age-stayed a short time and decided I wasn't through drinking. Returned to AA in 1960 in Lake Charles, La and left again in a few months and came back hopefully for the last time in Baton Rouge, La 4-1-65 and have stayed up to this point because I finally got the message I needed, which is I'm an alcoholic until just shortly after my death. I've lived in many places since '65 such as Omaha, Grand Rapids, Mi-Reno, Nv and traveled to many more places than that. The last time I checked in the AA World directory I had been to 465 different meetings in the USA. I am currently a recovering alcoholic in a small NE Oregon town. I owe my life to this program and love it very much, and am looking forward to joining all of you in our mission to our happy destinys.

Love to you all
Geno
Geno28

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:57 pm

Hello Geno!!! Welcome!

I noticed that you got sober on April Fool's Day!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Imagine that!!! :wink:

Yep. This Internet sure helps to expand our experience of the Fellowship. Makes it nice.

Thanks for introducing yourself. Looking forward to your participation.

Best regards,

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 am

Hi Geno,

41+ years sober, one day at a time...how great is that?!? Glad to have you aboard, and I look forward to hearing your ES&H.

Anne
anniemac

Postby garden variety » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi Geno,

Welcome and thank you for joining us. Please share your ES&H as much as you can - it helps all of us. 42 (oops) years one day at a time - what a life!

God bless and thanks for helping me!
Paul
Last edited by garden variety on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:17 am

Hey gang.... I believe that's 42 years... isn't it?

Let's not take anything away from him!!!

4-1-65 ??? This is 2007 isn't it? :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:05 am

Oh, I didn't do the math :oops: - when Geno said "in his 42nd year", I looked at that as being in progress. I'm "in my 5th year", and will celebrate 5 years in December, at the conclusion of that 5th year. When I had 3 months sober, I was "in my 1st year"...accumulating the months necessary during the course of my 1st year, to celebrate my first year.

Wow, I wonder if this is an example of how I just look at things differently and that's how I tend to get misunderstood when I try to say things??

Anyway Geno, congrats to you on 42 years!! :D
anniemac

Postby Geno28 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Hello to all, I wandered away from my computer for a couple of days and I read your replies, which I am grateful to have received. Yes I have April fools day 1965 as my sobriety date which doesn,t jibe with what I said in my original post. I am in my 43rd year, having completed 42 last April 1, so I blew it on that one. I came to in a sleazy motel in New Orleans 4-1-65 and was crying because I had left my always present pistol home, and was so tired of my insanity that I just wanted to kill myself. Instead I must have remembered the brief exposures I had with AA in 1948 and 1960, and like so many of us I wandered into a meeting in Baton Rouge meeting many wonderful people, one of whom really picked me up and carried me spiritually until I could stand for myself. He was a special one who looked and sounded exactly like Don Rickles, who he would have made to look like a huge wimp. He's dead now but as long as I'm alive he will be too. He taught me many things the foremost of which was gratitude, and I still wander around shaking hands with myself over my extraordinary good fortune at being given a final chance at the good life in the program. AA is my life and I share my good fortune with my wife of 57 years, another gift from the God of my belief.

Thanks to all

Geno (the geno28 stands for the year of my birth-easy to remember)
Geno28

Postby Tina L. » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:27 pm

welcome geno! u have been sober longer than i have been alive! congrats on your sobriety and thank u for being here to carry the message and to pass it on and to pay it back. kcb!

tina xoxoxo
Tina L.

Postby Geno28 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi Tina, and thank you for your message. Yes if you are younger than 43 I have been sober longer than you've been alive, and that's a fact, but I know enough about the nature of my malady and I know, or believe, I am an alcoholic forever. I don't think that's too bad either, as in poor me. I am what I am-like Popeye-and as long I own up to my addiction it's not a problem. I am also very fortunate in that in our little town we have a prison totally comprised of addicted prisoners and I have a meeting out there weekly. I wouldn't trade this experience for a lot of money. Right now we are going thru the steps and just finished step 5. This is a low security setting and I have been attending meetings there for ten years. I love these guys and I can only hope they get some or all the message, that's in the steps.

Take care

Geno
Geno28

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery