- I'm Bruce,and I am an alcoholic.

I'm Bruce,and I am an alcoholic.

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

I'm Bruce,and I am an alcoholic.

Postby Bruce P. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:31 am

A little about myself.I am 42,married,a daughter and son that are 18 and 19,and a 15 month grandaughter,all residing under one roof.No stress there.How I got here.1977,12 years old.A small town in Texas,waiting outside the local liquor store for the right person to buy me a bottle.I was looking for something to change the way I felt,it was found in a bottle of jack daniels.That first drink,how it tasted,how it went down,the feeling.I loved it,I loved it so much that bottle was gone pretty quick,and so was I.Passing out in a drainage ditch,stumbling home,trying to explain how I lost my dirtbike.High school was a blur,but being blessed with what I liked to call intelligence,I just kinda breezed through.By then it was pot and alcohol,I needed more,the alcohol was getting hard on me.On to other drugs,IV use cocaine,LSD.One night while living back with my parents after they intervened,and being without my medication for a few months,since that was my whole problem,I was as insane as could be.I took a walk,over a tall bridge.The police officer thought that was strange,and promptly took me to a nuerological hospital.3rd floor,I finally fit in.It wasn't long lived though.After 72 hours a couple of psychiatrists told me I was not crazy,but they thought I may have an alcohol and or substance abuse problem,success ,they let me out.Them sons a guns didn't even mention AA.That was 1985.Needless to say they had not cured me.As I look through the sobriety dates in my old and tattered 3rd edition Big Book,I wish I could say they were not scratched out.03/08/89,11/18/92.A couple of dates that could have prevented all these years of hell,had I accepted this simple program as a way of living.How it is now.My sobriety date is 08/11/2007.On that weekend I attended 3 meetings.I listened,I picked a sponsor with 24 years in,I commenced my step work.Being convinced we were at step 3,it could have little permanent effect,unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face and be rid of,those things in ourselves which had been blocking us.Time to face the demons,or as my sponsor says,Ego deflation.As I work permanent nights,I hope to utilize this forum as part of my recovery tools.Thank ya'll for being here.Thank God.
Bruce P.

Postby Dallas » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:07 am

Welcome Bruce!!! It's great to have you with us and I hope you make this forum a regular and frequent place to share your recovery.

Bruce P. wrote:A couple of dates that could have prevented all these years of hell,had I accepted this simple program as a way of living.How it is now.My sobriety date is 08/11/2007.On that weekend I attended 3 meetings.I listened,I picked a sponsor with 24 years in,I commenced my step work.Being convinced we were at step 3,it could have little permanent effect,unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face and be rid of,those things in ourselves which had been blocking us.Time to face the demons,or as my sponsor says,Ego deflation.As I work permanent nights,I hope to utilize this forum as part of my recovery tools.Thank ya'll for being here.Thank God.

Thanks for sharing that Bruce!!! I was just writing a PM to someone about "why I take the actions I take, and what the actions are." And, you've written them down in your message!

1. On that weekend I attended 3 meetings.
2. I listened,I picked a sponsor with 24 years in,
3. I commenced my step work.
4. Being convinced we were at step 3,it could have little permanent effect,unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face and be rid of,those things in ourselves which had been blocking us.

:wink: That show's exactly what I had been writing about -- coming in, and getting into action on those 12 Steps right away!!!

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!
And, I use this forum as part of my recovery tools, too! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:41 am

Hey Bruce,

Welcome to the Forum, I like what you and Dallas said, that you use this forum as a tool. I get on here almost daily, I get my answer here when I have trouble finding someone in person.

Your story is similar to my story, except they did tell me I was crazy and didnt say anything about AA.

I got sober June 12, 2007, found a sponsor with 20 years, took the steps in two days, got some very much needed relief, thanks to a sponsor who believed in the way our founders worked the program.

I know sponsor a girl with 3 weeks, we just finished her steps yesterday, she found some much needed relief, and is now on here way to carrying the message that Bill W. wrote in the BB. Sounds like you and your sponsor do it the same.......I love to hear that.

I'm glad you dropped in, I hope you continue to post.....I, as I am sure many of us, need to hear from people who 'keep it in the book'

Keep coming back :lol:

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby anniemac » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:08 pm

Hey Bruce,

Glad to have you here and thanks for telling us a little about yourself. Coming up on 60 days, very cool!

Hope to hear more from you....

Anne
anniemac

Postby garden variety » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:44 am

Hi Bruce,

Welcome back to sobriety. I hope you'll be sticking around for keeps instead of going back out.

The program has given me the tools to deal with "hell" if that happens today. Through God's Grace and Mercy, the program of A.A., and you kind people that truly love me, I have learned how to "walk through hell without stopping in to visit."

Thanks for helping me today.
Sorry for being a little late in my reply.

God bless,
Paul
garden variety

Welcome friend

Postby dbarnes180 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:05 am

Welcome Bruce,

I too am new to the step12 forums. It is always good to have company with the same goals and ambitions in life.

take
care
a
friend
:D
dbarnes180

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery