- New to the forum

New to the forum

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

New to the forum

Postby dbarnes180 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:31 am

Hi my name is David,

I was born in Blythville, Ar. in 1952 and have moved around a bit but always found my way back to central Ar.
I stayed with my grandparents a lot when I was a kid and Papa was my idol. Papa was foreman on a large farm paralleling the Missisppi River. He took me everywhere and let me do whatever...and just laughed about it. He was a man's man and drinking was just part of living. So at a very young age I was introduced to Apricot Brandy and white lightning.
I did not like the white lightning but the Apricot Brandy was sooooo good.
For many years my drinking was fantastic. I drank with little or no bad consquences. Being a small person with a sharp tongue as a defense mechanism, booze just made me feel 10 feet tall. Nothing like an ego maniac with an inferiority complex full of booze.
Life was good, I met a wonderful young woman and by the age of seventeen was married and had a gorgeous baby boy. Only in Arkansas LOL does one get these advantages. Before you get ahead of the story that young lady is still my wife and we will have been together 38 years in January.
I had my share of car crashes and motorcycle wrecks while under the care of alcohol. Had I not been so polluted and limber from the wonderful sedation I would probably be dead today. Of course had I been sober in the first place the above two sentences would not have been in this paragraph.
Early drinking and smoking had given me much pleasure, laughter, joy, fond memories and a fast track on life.
Later drinking and smoking had given me much pain, tears, sadness, lonelyness and the last 5 years of being holed up in the house as a petrified daily drunk morning till passout time.
Three major surgeries, the last being a 5 by-pass heart surgery. You get a lot of strange looks from folks when your in Cardiac Rehab trying to walk on a tread mill drunk....LOL
My drinking continued along with many of lifes little tricks on us Alkies until November 3, 2006.
Today I have a home group and visit many surrounding meetings each week. My head still has not cleared from the fog but it is better. I still have to deal with the comittee in my head each day...but it is better. My sponsor is a great stength in AA for me to lean and grow with.
My love for my wife has grown more in the last year than I could have ever dreamed.

Life is good, keep coming back
a
friend
:D
dbarnes180

Postby garden variety » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:37 am

Hi Dave,

Thank you for helping me today.

I'm glad you join us. I'm also glad to see you're learning to love your wife through a sober mind and actions. God bless you.

Paul
garden variety

Postby DebbieV » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:38 am

Welcome to the Forum Bruce. It seems we have had a few new people drop in and Post lately.......That just always makes my day a little brighter when I log on in the morning.

I hope you keep coming back and share your experience, strength and hope with us.

Have a great day.

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:17 pm

(Ahem... He said his name is David, -- Debbie, I think Bruce is on the other thread!) :lol:

Hello David!!!! Welcome to the site! It's great to have you here and it's awesome that you've taken the time to log-in and share and participate with us! (I sent you the PM before I noticed that you had already posted). :wink:

I knew -- that if you shared -- you would be helping us!!! And, helping those who are still to come.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DebbieV » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Dallas Wrote:

(Ahem... He said his name is David, -- Debbie, I think Bruce is on the other thread!)

I am so sorry David, (and Bruce) I really shouldnt post before at least 3 cups of coffee.

Or maybe its not the coffee at all. :oops:

Sorry guys,

Debbie
DebbieV

Thanks for the warm welcome

Postby dbarnes180 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:45 am

I am really glad to be in this forum. There is a lot of ESH for me to draw from.

No problem Debbie, my brain runs on coffee too.

take
care
a
friend
:D
dbarnes180

Postby anniemac » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:42 am

Hi David,

Welcome! Sorry I'm so late in reading your post. Thanks for sharing with us "what it was like" -- good reminder for me. And I love your sense of humor...it's so important to not take ourselves too seriously!

Hope to hear more from you,
Anne
anniemac

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery