- Hi, my name is Danni, and I'm alcoholic

Hi, my name is Danni, and I'm alcoholic

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Hi, my name is Danni, and I'm alcoholic

Postby Danni » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:14 am

Hi, my name is Danni, and I'm an alcoholic.

Because of God's love and grace, through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and with the help of the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, I am happy, alive and sober. I have been sober in A.A. for three years.

I found this forum last year and I have been coming here regularly to read the inspiring messages of hope and recovery.

I recently moved to Northwest Arkansas from sunny Newport Beach, California. I have had some difficulty adjusting to the A.A. community here in Arkansas, and I thought it would be a good idea to join this forum to help me during my adjustment period. I'm used to a warm and loving and out-going A.A. environment that has a lot of structure and discipline. I love A.A. I love living sober. I love the A.A. program of recovery.

I've gotten over feeling different and like I don't belong in A.A. That was difficult for me. I have never been arrested. Never been married. Never been divorced. Never been hospitalized. Never been in trouble. I have had a good education and I come from a good, loving, supportive and hard-working family. I have a good job. I have good credit. I always paid my bills on time. I never used drugs. Everything about me (so I've been told) is normal except for my drinking. I fell in love with alcohol and the way that it made me feel. Whenever I would drink I would never know if I was going to have one or two or twenty ... too many! One was always good and two was never enough. I had the insanity and obsession to drink and I saw the writing on the wall. I know that I am alcoholic. I know that alcoholism is progressive. I hope I never drink again. With God's help and my participation in my recovery and by keeping the program of Alcoholics Anonymous front and center of my life I have a good chance of staying sober for the rest of my life.

Thank you all for being here. Thank you God and thank you A.A.

Love and hugs

Danni
Danni

Postby littlemiss » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 am

Hi, Danni...I can relate to a lot of your post...'cept I'm married w/ 2 girls...:0
I hope you post more...as I'm just starting out...& in S. Calif.!
Can't imagine moving to Arkansas!!!! You must be in DEEP culture shock!!! :lol:
littlemiss

Postby Dallas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Hello Danni!!!!

Welcome to the site!!! Glad to have you here with us! You must be shy like me -- visiting the site for a year without ever saying hello! :lol:

I just looked at your profile and noticed, through your profile and through your sharing that we have more than a few things in common! I'm looking forward to your participation here in the forum and to getting to know you!

Soon, I'll be making some regular weekly trips up to Northwest Arkansas, and perhaps we can have a cup of coffee and/or we'll see each other in some of the same meetings!

KCB!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby anniemac » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi Danni,

Thanks for telling us a little about yourself. I can imagine that moving and finding new meetings can be uncomfortable at first; I struggled to find a new homegroup for over a year when my work schedule changed and I could no longer get to my original home group. But it has all worked out, and now I have the best home group in the world! LOL

I used to feel that "different" thing also - no DUI, no debt, no drinking in the morning, etc. Now I know that they are just "yets" that await me if I pick up a drink.

I also came from a relatively normal upbringing, and I think that's important to share about, because sometimes it seems that folks believe that their upbringing is what made them alcoholic.

Ooops, gotta get back to work!

Anne
anniemac

Postby garden variety » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:44 am

Hi Danni,

I'm glad you could join us. The book says there are some of us who are normal in every way except when it comes to alcohol. There we are not like normal men or women.

Honestly, God bless you that you stayed out of trouble, paid your bills, and did not bring on that "self-imposed" crisis at its worst. I wish I were like you and stopped before I hit the "clear" button. Poof - everything was gone. Then it gets rough to start rebuilding when you're old and been drinking so long. So you beat the punchline - you won't regret it.

You can carry the message and help me because you have already just by introducing yourself. I can sort of tell by your post that you have a pretty good sense of "boundaries" already - it seems like your conscious is still in pretty good shape. Count your blessings on that, because that can all go south if you pick up one drink. You really don't need to go back out to enhance your drunkalog!

God bless and welcome,
Paul
garden variety

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic

Postby musicmode » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Welcome, Danni.

I have a good and strong sense that there are some good people in Arkansas...having 'met' a couple here on the boards.

It's not easy relocating, I've done it twice in sobriety (the second time, I came back to where I first sobered up...so maybe that doesn't count). When I moved away from here, I'd been in the program a year and a half, and a few things were suggested as per "expectations"...to not expect the next group to do things the way this group does...and to remember that perhaps people in the new group might be as full of insecurities as me, so if no one jumps up to greet you...you 'take the first step' so-to-speak.

I walked in to this new group (Mile 300 group up in Fort Nelson...hello if anyone is on here visiting from there), I was about 3 days in this new town. No one got up to greet me, in fact..those who were sitting there either looked down or away. I could have taken it abrasively, but--instead (loaded with tools from my previous group), I spotted the chairperson (easy to decipher--the one with the book and paperwork in front of them :wink: ), extended my hand and introduced myself: My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic...I just moved here. I noticed out of the corner of my eye how everyone sort-a looked at each other. For a split second, the thought crossed my mind that this wasn't an AA meeting :shock: . It took the chairperson a second to respond, finally putting out her hand, introducing herself. A slight sigh of relief to discover that this was, in fact AA. Turned out to be as warm and welcoming bunch as that of my original home-group. 8 months later, moved again (no--wasn't me searching for the geographical cure), moved again to Taber(hello to anyone there, too!!). They weren't quite as surprised when I walked in with the same disposition, in fact, someone had apologized for not getting up when I walked in to meet/greet me first.

Right away, in both places, I found a way to contribute to my new group somehow. At Mile 300...I stepped up and refilled coffees, for example, the very first meeting. In Taber, after a few meetings, I was invited to stay for the business meeting, and there, a certain project had been discussed in previous meetings, all they needed at this point was someone to do some painting--perfect opportunity to contribute to my new group, I thought, so, I volunteered.

I understand how it can be just as unnerving to walk into a new group as it was to walk in to our first meeting ever--perhaps even more so to certain degree because 'this time', we're not still numbed from the affects of alcohol residue. However, it was suggested, that because such a big move is such a big change, my first priority had best be find AA and get in there to that meeting. A big move such as this could very well push us backwards, and we could be in denial of this fact. A lady (old-timer) said it this way: "get your butt in there~~use your elbows to nudge your way in if you gotta." It's an opportunity, too, to carry the message forward of what helped you in the group you just came from. I viewed the moves this way: as an opportunity to go out and experience the world...sober, with clear eyes, an open mind, and an open heart.

Stick around, things are good here :wink:
Peace,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Tina L. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:35 pm

hi dani, welcome to the sight keep coming back!

I will be going to visit for a few days in Eureka Springs Arkansas is that near you? I fly in to North West Arkansas airport. I saw pictures and it sure is pretty. May be I will get to see snow when I come. Does it snow in Arkansas? I hope you found some good meetings and you are adjusting. I cannot imagine how hard it would be to move away from my home group. tina.
Tina L.

Postby DebbieV » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:49 pm

Welcome Danni....

And a late welcome to Arkansas....

I use to live in your neck of the woods.....I loved it up there.

I look forward to many post from you....If you ever get down to my neck of the woods let me know, maybe we can meet at a meeting.
:D

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Position3DAT » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:20 am

Welcome Danni. You've found a good bunch of people.
Position3DAT

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery