- I thank God for A.A., and for my little sister Carolyn

I thank God for A.A., and for my little sister Carolyn

Expect the unexpected... or discovered the unsuspected?

I thank God for A.A., and for my little sister Carolyn

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:43 am

Tonight, after my regular meeting, where I talked on the 3rd Step, I had a strong urge to go check on my little sister. I had been calling her all day with no answer. We've been hanging out a lot together lately. She's been having some real tough spots in her life, with her health, depression, a failing business that she's been trying to get started, and having set backs because of her health, and then a fresh heart-break to top it off. And, I've been trying to be the good big brother, that A.A. has helped me to become.

To make a long story short -- I called my nephew, her son, and he called the police, and we kicked the door open to do a welfare check on her.

Her son was the first to see her and check her vital signs. She was laying face down as if she had fallen out of her computer chair, and I heard him scream out "She's gone."

My little sister, Carolyn, has always been the closest family member to me. We grew up in a lot of crazy stuff. She had a hard life and had more than an average share of heart-breaks and sadness.

It was Carolyn, that I could always depend on, when my life went south, when I had problems, divorces, business failures, passing out on her floor or sofa, trying to sober up, back in the worst days of my drinking.

Lately, she's been continually telling me, "I never knew that you were as bad off as you were when you were still drinking." And, she has told me of how proud that she has been of me for what I've become. And, how grateful she was to A.A., for all that it has done for me, to help me be the person that I am today.

I miss you Carolyn, and you know how much I love you! Thank you for all that you have done and been for me. I'll take care of your dog. And, I'll look out for your son and grandson, and the grandchild that is on the way. Thank you for sharing your life with me. You will always be with me in my heart and thoughts.

Thank you A.A. for all that you have done for me. Without you, I wouldn't be here to thank you. And, thank you A.A., because I know that you will be with me, in the days to come.

Thank you God, for my sister, Carolyn, and for the life we were able to share and the love that we've known with each other.

Thank you, God, for A.A. Without you and your gift of A.A. to me, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to be sober, or to even be alive today, so that I could help my sister in her last days, trying to pass on to her, the tools and principles for a wonderful life, that you allowed to be passed on to me, through A.A.

During the next few days, because of all that I've gained in A.A., I will be able to help family members to go through their sadness and pain. I will be able to be useful to others. I can do it sober and equipped, because of A.A.

We never know when our last breath will be taken, nor when our last moment will expire. Life is short. If you love someone -- be sure to tell them now because you may not have the opportunity to tell them later. If you care for someone, care for them now, and show them now. You may not have that opportunity to do it later. If you are an alcoholic -- and you are sober -- now is all that we know that we have. If you are an alcoholic and you are suffering, whether drinking or sober -- we have tools in A.A., that can get you through it.

At the end of my sharing at the meeting tonight, I closed with these comments from page 133, of the Big Book:

"We are sure God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free. We cannot subscribe to the belief that this life is a vale of tears, though it once was
just that for many of us. But it is clear that we made our own misery. God didn’t do it. Avoid then, the deliberate manufacture of misery, but if trouble comes, cheerfully capitalize it as an opportunity to demonstrate His omnipotence."

My thoughts and love and caring -- I give back to you all.

Thank you, A.A., the Fellowship and the Principles, and God, for all that you have given to me, so that I have something goog that I can give unto others.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 am

Dallas. My friend you have my sorrow and tears. What a tragedy. If there is anything I can do to help - and I do mean anything - consider it done. My heart is broken along with yours, and I stand ready in thought and in action to meet any need that I can for you.

And thank you for the heartfelt love you say you don't understand, but you give it away in abundance each day - but especially today.

I really REALLY needed to hear what you said today. God spoke to me in a very personal way, and He used your thoughts and fingertips. It really is true bud, you never know how or when your words will make a difference - they did for me today in a big way. From my innermost self, I thank you for helping me today.

And I also thank you for your love and friendship.

May God always be the Friend He has been to you.

Paul
garden variety

Postby Danni » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:55 am

Dallas,

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your sister.

Thank you for being an example of what A.A. can do.

My heart is with you as you walk through this.

Danni
Danni

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:05 pm

This has been a difficult week of discovering a lot of things about some people that I wish that I hadn't discovered.

If you ever have questions, about selfishness, self-centeredness, self-seeking, dishonesty and fear, and a desire for Ego and Self-will -- controlling the lives of some folks -- unfortunately, the real answers to those questions will be reavealed when you lose a loved one. It is sad to notice how well some people can mis-behave at a time of such sorrow and sadness.

By observing some of the thoughtless actions of others -- it brought it home to me, front and center, how deadly self-interest, resentments and fear can be.

"Our problems are of our own making and they arise out of our selves."

"Even though our motives and intentions may be good -- the desire to run the show often causes us to step on the toes of our fellows -- and they retaliate"

Thanks to all of you for holding down the forum here at Step12.com!

It's nice to be home on the site and have the time to participate here.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Candy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:56 pm

Oh Dallas, I am so sorry to hear that you lost your little sister. If I can be of help in any way please let me know. You are in my prayers.

Candy
Candy

Return to Expect The Unexpected in Sobriety