- Let Go And Let God

Let Go And Let God

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Let Go And Let God

Postby DebbieV » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:56 am

Happy Thursday,

I went to a meeting last night and it would have been a typical "God Meeting" as I like to call it. However, the people who shared, shared more on what they and God do together. I love meetings like that. It got me thinking of what I was like when I first got in and how lucky I was to have a sponsor share with me that God will not keep me sober. "LET GO AND LET GOD" that little saying has the potential to get me drunk or kill me or both.

When I was 3 weeks sober I found out that I had HEP B , my liver enzymes were high, I was bloated, jaundice, and a paper cut would send a red streak up my arm and get so infected I would have to go on antibiotics. I was more sick than I had ever been in my life, and pretty sure that was how I was going to die. Liver failure was going to get me and I had no right to expect different, I had drank too much for my body to handle. During that time my sponsor would tell me over and over to handle what was in front of me with grace. With God's help I learned to do just that. I lived day by day, for 5 months with as much grace as I could. There were so many days that I wanted to "let go and let God" then I didn't have to worry about it, God would handle it all. But, my alcoholic mind, especially at less than 6 months sober, did not know how to find the balance to let God handle it and me not. If any one at that time in my life would have handle it I would have handed it over and went to bed, covered my head and wait for it to go away. What I learned during that time is a lesson I still use today, I ask for God to give me the strength to handle what's in front of me then I get off my ass and do the actions that produce the results. I found out 6 months after the initial diagnoses that my body cleared the Hep, my enzymes were back to normal and my body started functioning normal again. I was going to be ok. Was it a God thing? I think so. Did I work my ass off to stay sober and do the next right thing during that time? You betcha.

I can turn God into an enabler faster than hell. I like enablers they helped me drink for years, and I was a master at putting them in my life at just the right time so I could let go and let _____ fill in the blank. Today.....I have learned the discipline ( well learning the discipline ) to take care of myself, with God giving me the strength to do so. He is not going to do it for me and that is a gift in itself.

Thanks for letting me share.

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Jane » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi Debbie,

Thank you I enjoyed reading your share. For me, letting go and letting God, is me, putting the action in, and not manipulating the results.

I was and still can be an excellent manipulator, and hide my manipulation under shinning lights of reason. My brain box works over time and zing, zing, goes my head into a can of worms.

While I leave the results, up to the God of my understanding, and keep putting the action of this program in, it works out way better than I ever imagined.

Thank you for making me think

Jane
Jane

Postby ROBERT » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:22 am

Thanks Debbiev--makes me re-think some things!
ROBERT

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:59 am

Geez good one. I guess this is the crux of it. I'm supposed to share my step 3 experience next Saturday at a work shop so I have been thinking about 3 now for oh maybe 10 days. I shared at a meeting that I remember some special events (whatever term you use i.e. God shots) etc. that really at the time had me willing to make the decision.

I made the decision did my morning contemplations and still hung on to a lot of stuff but didn't matter. The flow had started and then on a daily basis I could see it was a matter of degrees. I could go from helping somone in trouble on the phone or computer to yelling at my kid at the speed of sound.

Any way one thing I know is true when we pray or contemplate only for the strength and the knowledge we than must make the effort. I am communicating with a person now who needs some support and they found me by accident. I did a little research and made a guess.

For me this year it is like HP tees up the ball but it's up to me to take the club out of the bag and give it a go even if I duff it HP ain't gonna do for me what I am capable of if I take right action. My three cents for this aft. 8)
Ranman99

Postby DebbieV » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks Jane, I'm glad to see you post and joy in on the fun and learning here. I hope to see more and more of you posting.
I understand what you mean about manipulation, I was a master at it as well. Today I have to use the discipline I have learned in AA and from my sponsor to spot check any manipulative behavior. 10 and 11 comes in handy for that as well. :wink:

Ranmann99 Wrote:
For me this year it is like HP tees up the ball but it's up to me to take the club out of the bag and give it a go even if I duff it HP ain't gonna do for me what I am capable of if I take right action.

Classic.. Thank you!!

Debbie
DebbieV

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Hey! This is really great stuff!!! Thanks for sharing! I'm so grateful that I found this website! You guys/girls really keep me tee'd up! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories