- Remember Independence Day

Remember Independence Day

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Remember Independence Day

Postby garden variety » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:07 am

Hello everyone,

I wanted to wish all of you a safe and happy holiday weekend.

It's been my expereince that this "celebration" of independence, July 4th, has been the start of relapse on top of relapse. I have seen so many folks go back out drinking while "celebrating" July 4th, including loved ones. This is a time when even your worst enemy can be your "friend" and offer to buy you a drink.

For me, I will be at a family event, and alcohol will be available. I can't ever forget that I am an alcoholic, and the physical urge and mental obsession to drink has been lifted. If I forget what I am, it won't be long before I forget who I am. This is contingent only upon my spiritual condition today. Today I'll remind myself of the words in the book on page 14 - I'd ask that you join me:

"For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead. If he did not work, he would surely drink again. and if he drank, he would surely die."

I can also reach in my pocket today for a good reminder. If I pull out any coin, even a lowly penny, I can look at it for a minute and read the 3rd step: "In God we Trust". Wow. Pretty cool reminder, huh? And if I look closer at that penny, there is another reminder. It's a reminder of my own personal "independence". It says "Liberty".

The 12 steps have made today, this weekend, and every day I wake up, an "Independence Day". I'm free of the bondage of self, and negativity. I don't have to live and die of untreated alcoholism.

Today my life is not mine to live and to "celebrate" wrecklessly. God has a plan - and that plan calls for action today. I can and will stay sober while I'm celebrating today. All I have to do is follow this advice from the book.

"Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics!" (see "Working with Others" on page 89)

You know that promise makes me feel safe and secure. "Nothing" else "insures immunity from drinking" any better. Right Dallas? What a blessing it is to be insured that I am immune from drinking just by following that simple suggestion.

For me, that is indeed a reason to celebrate "Independence Day".

I pray that each of you enjoy the same "new freedom and new happiness" that is promised to us; today and this weekend.

May God always bless each of you, and like that Sargeant on Hill Street Blues always used to say:

"Let's be careful out there!"
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:37 am

Thanks for the wishes Paul.

I'll be at an A.A. barbeque in the park with a bunch of other A.A.'s and then there will be a speaker near the end of the barbeque. For me, especially on holidays, A.A. events are always a good, healthy, happy and exciting place for me to celebrate sane and sober living while having fun.

Wishing a happy, safe, sane and sober 4th of July to you all!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Good words and a timely reminder, Paul. As Thomas Jefferson, who as one of the founding fathers is tied to Independence Day, wrote "Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom"
Tim

Postby garden variety » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Tim wrote:"Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom"

Now those are some good words to remember, too! Thanks Tim.
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:13 pm

Hey Paul! Look! I see that last year on this day -- you wished us a Happy Independance Day! We'll still sober! Imagine that!

Since it worked for you... I'll try it!

Happy Independence Day to Everyone!!! 2009!

We kept coming back! :wink:

Dallas
Last edited by Dallas on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:51 pm

AWWWWW I WANNA GO to the BBQ :cry: :cry: are you going to the same one this year Dallas ?

I`ll be at work but thats really cool with me cause I thank GOD I have a job :)

I remember some of the celebrations I attended when I was still out there OH YEAH MAN!! nothin like a buch of drunks playin with stuff that blows up :) :roll:

PAUL thanks for the penny reading cause I CANT READ THAT ANYMORE even with my glasses :o (old age ya know)

for me everyday is Independence Day!!!!! I had to first let go of my so called independence and become dependent on GOD to gain my true independence

its like it says in the12&12 step 3 pg.36

The more we become willing to depend upon a Higher Power,the more independent we actually are. Therefore dependence,as A.A.practices it,is really a means of gaining true independence of the spirit.

HAPPY(TRUE) INDEPENDENCE DAY EVERYONE !!!!!!!

Yall have fun & be safe LUV-2-ALL Cess
P.S. I`m glad I keep coming back too !!!
ccs

Postby Dallas » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Thank you Cess!

I'm glad you keep coming back, too! :wink:

Nope. Not the same BBQ this time! Same sobriety date, though! :lol:

This Fourth, I'm baby sitting my dogs to try to keep them comfortable and feeling secure with all the fireworks going on. (It scares all of them, except my Big Black son! Nothing bothers him... other than trying to clean his ears! That spooks him!) :wink:

So, I'm practicing being a good, mature, responsible and caring Dad to them! Makes me feel good about me when they look up at me with those big puppy eyes, as if to say "Thanks Dad... We appreciate you!" -- and I can let them know that I appreciate them, too!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:38 pm

AAAAWWWHHHH!!!! DADDY loves hims babies!!!

I know what your talking about my babies have me wrapped right around their cute little paws :lol: :lol: :lol:

and they KNOW IT !!!! :lol:
ccs

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober