- tough week

tough week

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:24 pm

As I read pages 132-133 of the Big Book,
I see that God doesn't cause me any misery or calamity.
It says to me, that God's will for me is to be happy, joyous and free.

God doesn't will calamity, misery or problems.
We do all that -- by ourselves.

My life today is wonderfully better than anything I've ever known.
Each day is a new journey, a new adventure, and it's fresh
with wonderful opportunities. Thanks to God, through the 12 Steps, and the Fellowship.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Well Hi again.

Sorry if I scared you Darlene. Totally not my intent. In case you didn't know (in the 12 and 12), we have this thing called "Rule 62" - and there's a spiritual principle behind that always helps me.

"Don't take yourself too seriously"

The life I have I wouldn't trade for another one - never. I think we all had a few things called life happen, things have been a little heavy. But what you quoted is 100% correct. Man if I didn't have serenity, I'd be cooked, or how about "boiled like an owl"? :wink:

Now about those crazy things? The book doesn't say they will always happen. It says very clear that they do happen "occasionally". There isn't a better train to be riding for me then one that has a lady or man with 10 -16 days sober. I am grateful. I learn so much from everyone, and I learn from my own experiences that are life. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Am I unhappy? Heck no.
Have I manufactured any misery today? Nope, none that I remember - but when I do my 10th, if I did, it will come to light.

This life fits me just right. Today I'm the best Paul M. there ever was. It's even better - you are reading today, the words of the best Paul M. in HISTORY! Right here right now - today! I don't even have any competition! Where else can I go to find the best "me" that ever existed? Right here - right now, of course.

And I'm willing to bet that Darlene is the best Darlene the world has ever known and seen, too!

I LOVE SOBRIETY!!!

I never turned in my license to be a smart___s. It wasn't part of the application process. I only had to meet one requirement. So I use that license to try and get a smile or laugh every now and again. So if I scared you, I'm sorry. )))))))OOOOBBB((((((((( There I take it back!

It only happens "occasionally" - OK? That's once in a while.

I think I need to join Dallas and snort some of that Cali A & A. I can tell he's in that 4th dimension today too!
garden variety

Postby DME39 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi Paul.... :) Please don't feel bad about scaring me.....You always have such a unique and wonderful way of sharing your experience, strength and hope....You and Dallas always get me thinking and sharing things that I never even realized that this alcoholic needed to get out of her head!
I do tend to be way too serious, so Rule 62 is a good one for me to use every once in a while.....I think I'll swing by the AA joke forum before I end this 24.....Love ya Paul!!!
DME39

Postby Dallas » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:21 am

I think I need to join Dallas and snort some of that Cali A & A. I can tell he's in that 4th dimension today too!

It's like being in heaven without dying!!! :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi gang!

I just wanted to report that God still has a sense of humor.

The phone jangled THIS MORNING (call it the "wee" of the program). There sure enough was a drunk on the other end, who was drunk, of course. I paid another visit to a different ER - I think it was the ghost of Bill W. clarifying exactly what "innumerable trips" means (from above). :roll:

I LOVE SOBREITY

I really do! Honest! :)

And this is no joke. It happened again last night - this morning - 3AM. It was a lady, and she was hurting, very bad. I last saw her a year ago - what an incredible change for the worse - in every area of her life. Last year she was a beautiful woman with a high-paying executive position. This morning she was unemployed. She said she only lost 15 lbs, but she was probably lying - it looked more like about 30 lbs - and she wasn't overweight to begin with. Her stomach and gut are shutting down. She's dehydrated and undernourished. She can't hold in food. There's blood coming from places it shouldn't be. She's sick inside and out. She said it feels like she's dying.

Friends, I wish I could say I'm exaagerating or stretching the truth, but not this time. I couldn't stop staring at her because of how much her appearence has changed. I spoke with the social worker at the hospital, and told her about her involvement with the program. If she doesn't have a solid enough medical reason for admission, the social worker will be working on psychiatric admission. She's a straight "boozer" (no drugs). She could fit into the book in 1939 just like today. It is humbling and frightening to be a part of a 12-step call unfolding in the exact same way it always has, and has been written about.

Julie, Jerry, Darlene - hold onto to today and be greatful that you have 10 or 16 days, or two months, or even just today's sobriety. You have more than the lady I helped admit to the hospital this morning. It's been a tough week for all of us I know, but it is much tougher for the sick and suffering alcohlics outside of our fellowship who are still drinking.

Say an extra prayer today for this woman in Northeastern Ohio, maybe yours will be the prayer the keeps her in the rooms and off the streets. She does have a name and a face - she just doesn't know it yet.
garden variety

Postby Jools » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:38 pm

ROFL @ or smash a windshield!!!

That made me bust out laffin' here at work, Paul!! Tysons boss is one of my customers and he has a twin brother. He came in right after that happened and said.......BOY! Remind me not to p-iss you you off!! Thanx for making me laff about that.

Julie, Jerry, Darlene - hold onto to today and be greatful that you have 10 or 16 days, or two months, or even just today's sobriety. You have more than the lady I helped admit to the hospital this morning. It's been a tough week for all of us I know, but it is much tougher for the sick and suffering alcohlics outside of our fellowship who are still drinking.
I'm really sorry about that lady. :( I will pray for her recovery. Is her name Linda? For some reason that name came to mind when I said I'd pray for her.

I am grateful today, Paul, and I'm even in a good mood, but that could change at any given moment...ha! My husband called me Dr Jekyll and Mrs Hyde the other night. :shock: It's so true tho, I don't even recognize me sometimes.

What is Rule 62?

Thanx for the pages, Dallas, I likes um!

I know in my heart that the craziness in my life is going to get better if I just give it a chance and do the things I'm supposed to do. I'm looking forward to that. I also know, that after I've been sober a while and work the steps, I'll be able to handle my difficulties a whole lot different than I do today.

Y'all do give me a lot of hope and I thank you for that.

Julie
Jools

Postby sunlight » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Oh Garden Variety! I laughed, I cried, I didn't drink!

Thank you for that post! My cousin, who lives in Kansas, says no one in the midwest understands east coast sarcasm.

Dallas is right tho :shock: & the book tells us so on pg 62 & 103 - our troubles/problems are of our own making.

I found that to be true in my 4th step when I saw my part. The :idea: :idea: :idea: came on & the dark corners were illuminated & all the spooks & skeletons flew out of the closet. That's why the 3rd step comes before 4: I couldn't look at it without taking God with me.

I am so glad we are here!

God bless us sober soldiers, new & old alike.
sunlight

Postby sunlight » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:52 pm

Hey Julie,

I asked the same ? about rule 62. See the post on AA Recovery. Love ya!
sunlight

Previous

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober