- How do you inspire & encourage others?

How do you inspire & encourage others?

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

How do you inspire & encourage others?

Postby sunlight » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:02 pm

When I was new, I looked at the 12 steps on the wall of the meeting club & moaned, "I don't know if I can do all that."
A long-timer said to me, "Why don't you just go out & enjoy the day?"
I thought, "Oh yeah.Huh? How do you do that without a drink?"
I did not know how to do that!

But, obviously these sober people did, so I thought I'd tag along at various parties, picnics & dances & see how they enjoyed living sober. It was a jolly time, but I was told it wasn't going to last until I got to work on the steps. But, what an order! So I sort of "tagged along" to see how others did the work.

I did this by going to lots of meetings & sharing everything that was going on with me. This was not a primrose path! Though many were kind & helpful, there were also those who were mocking, insulting & discouraging. They were probably justified cuz I was a shipwreck!

So by the time I began the steps, I knew this was work that required an effort I had not put out before. I could get ideas from others, but the work was mine. It's like kissing: people can tell me how they kiss, but until I actually DO it for myself, I'll never experience it. OR the thrill of it!

So, I try to inspire others by, first, by inviting them with me to see how to enjoy the day sober. We go hiking, bowling, dancing, shopping. Why bother with all those steps if the result isn't going to be fulfilling?

I take people with me to lots of meetings & talk about all the inspiration I get from them. I love meetings!
I also encourage others at meetings by sharing my stories on working the steps. Even in my fumbling & bumbling there were 4th dimension experiences & spiritual progress. I know this because an ancient-timer once told me that I was proof that there IS such a thing as a psychic change. Telling people if you see progress is encouraging!

Sponsoring others through the work encouages & inspires both of us. Even though it felt like the steps were killing me, it only killed the part of me that would drink again. Even though it felt like nothing was happening, things happened! It's encouraging to show others what's happening to them when they can't see it.

And sharing the actions I'm taking today inspires others to take those same actions! Sharing myself has been the best way to pass the torch of sobriety to others. It's like, "If dopey Sunlight can do it, maybe I can too."

Some days, when life hurts to the bone, & darkness surrounds me & the ground has been pulled out from under me, the best I can do is not take a drink.

But, cheerfulness & laughter make for usefulness (pg132) & I think laughter & stories are one of the most fun ways to encourage & inspire others. I can laugh at myself today & the stories of my perspiration through the steps will crack you up!

Enjoying life, sharing, working, laughing, praise & perseverence. It's been a good recipe.

The results? I've seen people live new lives, find new solutions & become new creations!
I've witnessed those with severe emotional & mental problems stay sober & help others to achieve sobriety.
I am awake & alive in a way that was impossible when I focused on myself.

How has it affected me? Page 25 says it all: "Our creator has entered into our hearts & lives in a way which is indeed miraculous."
Words fall short here & it's a good thing cuz I've used up a lot of them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Wow Sunlight!!!!

That is some amazingly wonderful sharing and you definitely inspire and encourage me the way that you share your personal adventures before and after!!!

I thought that I might be able to add something to the scoop until I read all your message -- and, in my opinion you said it all!!! My discoveries have been so similar to yours -- that it just amazes me that another alkie is experiencing the same life that I'm living!

The thing that I get from efforts to inspire and encourage others -- is inspiration and encouragement.

I guess it comes from living that guiding principle of "giving rather taking" and "giving rather than getting."

When I'm busy giving away what I would like to receive for myself -- without thought of receiving it -- I get more of what I'm giving away and it totally makes my life's cup runneth over!!!

It's hard for me to be depressed -- when I'm trying to be uplifting to another.

It's difficult for me to feel defeated, useless and hopeless, when I'm using my efforts to encourage others. It inspires me. It encourages me. For me, it's the truth -- that we can't give away something that we haven't got -- if I'm giving it away -- more is coming from the Source that provides for my giving.

I love to read your sharing. Your messages have so much depth and weight -- yet, you do it with simplicity -- that makes it easy to identify and understand.

Thank you!!! You definitely live up to the name Sunlight... and I see that many others here on the forum experience you the same way that I do.

Thanks for the blessings of your participation -- through the giving of yourself to us. What a great gift!!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jools » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:20 am

I'm with Dallas on the "Wow, Sunlight!" Girl, you give me hope and inspiration even when you're posting to someone else! You're such a joy to have on this board. :) We are truly blessed with your presence.

I'm like Paul, I wanna grow up and be just like ya!

Hugs,
Julie
Jools

Postby sunlight » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:47 pm

A spiritual advisor once told me :"If you don't give God the glory, you'll get burned out."

I cant afford that, cuz I was already fried when I came into this program! :lol: :lol:

So- PRAISE GOD AND PASS THE PEPSI !!!
sunlight

Postby garden variety » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:28 am

Wow!

I'll say it again! Sign me up!

I want what Sunlight has and I'm willing to go to any length to get it!

What an inspiring message! I'm a little late, but thanks for putting a smile on my face!

God bless.
garden variety

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober