- HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!!

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!!

Postby ccs » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:59 pm

hey yall, I`m back online!! my internet was Out and because of the Holiday it took them a while to get someone out to fix it so I just wanted to say

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE !!!!!!!

hope your all well
I think I was having withdrawals from this forum :lol: even though I dont post much I do come here everyday to see how everyone is and to get a dose of yall`s experience strength and hope
I have missed you all!!!

so how will we spend our thanksgiving!!!

I will be working but thats really ok I`m thankful to have a job!!
my daughter and grandkids are 3 hours away so at least if I`m working I`ll be doing something for someone other than myself and contributing to my finances!!!! :lol:

for me its going to be as it should a day of reflection , reflecting on my life and all the Blessings I`ve recieved all the people,experiences,events,and things that GOD has allowed in my life wether good or bad I can see now how they have all led to me being where I am today and that is a sober mother and grandmother even if I cant be with them today they know that I love them and that I`m ok
I`m not( missing in action like when I was ,,,well you know what I mean)

and as I reflect I will be thinking of all of you because you all are some of my Blessings in sobriety but if I hadnt walked into a meeting of A.A. when I did and got a sponsor and took the steps and did what they did and kept coming back I wouldnt be able to do or have anything that I do today
and I wouldnt be able to feel comfort in my own skin or , be able to spend this holiday alone without having any feelings of self pity and and trying to cover it up with booze
like Paul says I LOVE SOBRIETY!!!!
oh I`m not really alone I never have to be alone again I have the felowship of A.A.,and you guys and my doggies!!!! :D :D :D

Dallas how are you since your surgery??

Paul how are you? and how is your friend doing?

Sunlight hows it going and hows your son??

Julie how are you girl ???

Victor happy A.A. birthday how are you??

and to all the rest of you how are you doing???

these are some of the things I am thankful for

WHAT ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR THIS THANKSGIVING :?: :?: :?:
ccs

Postby GeoffS » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 pm

And happy regular Thursday to all who are not from the US!! :lol: :lol:

It would be good to have a holiday, to just think about why we are thankful... Those of us in recovery have to think of those things every day.

I'm thankful for my sobriety, gods grace, AA, my partner, my kids and that I get to do everything I get to do today. Including interact and be helped by you people here.
GeoffS

Postby garden variety » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi Sunlight,

Beautiful post. Thanks again for helping me tonight.

My former Marine son, now turned "private contractor" for US Army security in Bagdad, took me to dinner tonight. Here he is living his dream, earning a great salary in the six-digits, and he is still eager and learning knew things. He is nearly qualified to become a medic at his post which is home to thousands of contractors and Army personnel. He gave me some pointed advice of what I need to do to prepare for surgery, and he was on the money - it fit together with what my surgeon told me. What a treat it was to have dinner with him. He is back for a couple weeks, and will return to Iraq for another "roll of the dice" as he said. He's learned how to invest his pay, and he just blows me away. I learned a lot from him tonight.

Tomorrow I'll have dinner and spend the day with my mom and our cousins out east, along with my other son and granddaughter. My other son is the one I told you about who had experiences like your sons that might not be considered a masterpiece. But that kid has a great heart too, in spite of a few warts. All three of us got together for a few minutes, and boy what a "wrecking crew" we can sometimes be. We laughed about all the trouble we've all been in, and were talking about each of our own ongoing "adventures" which are too many, and too crazy to list. It was a good time, yet together were like a full load of bricks, but separate, each one of is is a few bricks short.

Fortunately the two "boys" have got over the "rowdy phase" when they get together. The last time we were all together, I had to put on my aspirator because one of those knuckleheads pepper-sprayed the other after tackling him in the kitchen. These are 20-something "boys" both over 6'5". Well I'm glad they're over the rough-housing phase. Otherwise "authorities" or emergency personnel might be needed. I bet you don't think I'm kidding, do you? I'm not! It is kind of a weird thing to be proud of your son who was a professional assassin who has a record of "confirmed kills" - he was a Scout-Sniper Team Leader - and has been combat-decorated twice in his duty as a Marine. He is a real live combat hero that destroyed 2 "insurgent cells" in Iraq.

The same kid still hugs me today, and tells me "I love you dad". What a blessing to be thankful for. I'm thankful for my other son, too, who is a caring guy and loves his family, in spite of sometimes living on the "shady side". I put both of those boys through hell when they were young, while I drank and destroyed our family. But we can share the holiday today with love and respect like we never had.

I'm thankful for my "AA repeat offender" lady-friend that you mentioned. Sunlight. She wasn't feeling good the past couple days. She's had some setbacks that got her nervous and anxious, which make her physical condition get worse. I talked to her today and gave her as much encouragement as I could. She's visiting her mom tomorrow, and my son and me will be helping her do some cleaning up and organizing at her home next week - stuff she used to do practically in her sleep. I call her every day and visit her whenever I can, and I remind her when to take her meds and to be sure to eat, and just sometimes need to put my arm around her and let her know that she's loved and give her some hope that things are getting better slowly, with some setbacks, but it's a little better today than it was a week ago, and a week before that.

I'm thankful for my sponsor and support group, and for Dallas and this forum that God gave him to care for. I'm thankful for each of you, and those that were here before but are gone.

Like Sunlight, I've been reflecting, too, and getting on my knees a little more often than I used to. I'm so thankful for the Grace and Mercy God has given me over my life, the past almost ten years of sobriety, over this past year, and today. Without God and this fellowship known as Alcoholics Anonymous, I would be doomed, just like the good Dr. Silkworth said.

I wish each of you the very best and give you a prayer that I love that was given to me even though I'm not Irish:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and the rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May the Lord hold you in the palm of His hand.
garden variety

Postby sunlight » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:30 am

Cessie you're back!!! :D :D :D
You were the first one to respond to me when I was new here & you will always have a special place in my heart. I remember you said you were in a slump too. Hope yours is better. This site got me so fired up that Paul told me there might be laws against me, cuz I want to set the world on fire! :lol:

Thank you for asking about my son. He's in a group home & they have bedbugs, so he's pretty miserable. But his former employer has hired hin back part time,so that's a plus. He & money are a dangerous combination & he doesn't have a program, but he's got a mother that's on fire!

I wasn't sure about Thanksgiving cuz I was supposed to spend it at my daughter's & she went to the hospital this afternoon. But they released her & will monitor her. I've been cooking & baking all week - new, fabulous recipes - & part of that will go to the Fellowship club I belong to where we feed those who can't afford it, or who don't have family or anywhere to go.

I am thankful for EVERYTHING! Especially sobriety. I remember my 1st Thanksgiving sober & I'd made a mistake cooking & my grandson, who was only 3 said, "Are you drunk Nana?" And I could truthfully say,"No, I'm not. I'm just silly." How awesome that felt!

God bless you all. What a gift you are to the world!

(P.S. Should we tell Paul he's confused? I think it's cuz we're a lot alike, you & me! Two little balls of fire!)
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:07 am

Thank you, Cessie, for starting this thread!
I've missed you -- and I'm glad you're connected again.
Also, thank you for sharing your message of gratitude, and kindness and concern for me and for all of us here. If I was anywhere near Tampa... I'd pack up a Thanksgiving turkey lunch and bring it to you at work. I'm thankful for you -- and also for the many others that will be working today. I appreciate you and all that you do for us.

Gees. If I start a gratitude list here -- I could type for a year, and never be finished! I'm especailly grateful for all of you here on the site. You're all like a family to me. And, I love each one of you. I have hopes that someday -- we'll all meet each other in person.

I'm grateful for discovering a Loving God and for the ability to be consciously aware of His presence and His love. I wouldn't have made this discovery -- had it not been for my problems and limitations and imperfections and inadequacies. I wouldn't have made the discovery -- had I not created a problem that was greater than myself -- that would force me to search for a Living Solution -- that was greater than my problems.

I wouldn't have made this discovery -- without A.A., and the many alcoholics -- both sober and the suffering -- that came before me to Pioneer a program that would provide me with a new chance to live.

I'm so grateful for the many AA members, some who have passed on, and some who are still with me... that were here when I got here -- and they took my hand, and helped me begin my reach for higher ground. And, all of those who have held my hands, and sometimes my feet, and carried me -- when I was unable to carry myself.

Thank you to all the people that have taught me how to love. To love you. To love myself. And, to love God.

As I search my mind for one thing that I am most grateful for, I guess I would pick the fact that I can live comfortably and happily and joyfully with myself. With you. And, with God. Which to me, is my definition of Sobriety.

Thanks God.
Thanks Sponsor.
Thanks AA.
And, Thanks, to the rest of God's kids!

I've learned to experience being a part of the Whole -- and Whole as a part, without being apart from, but a part of and a part with. And, that feels really good!

I've learned that I already have ALL that I need -- before I need it. And, I have it in abundance. I have more than I want and desire because I have that in abundance, too. I am truly blessed.

Thank YOU!!!

Dallas

Also... Thank you, to my little sister Carolyn. I love you and I miss you. Thank you for preparing such a wonderful thanksgiving dinner -- that would be the last thanksgiving dinner that we shared together -- in these bodies. I can not express in words the joy that you brought to me, and for your loving-kindness towards me. Thank you, for being you.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:01 am

OK go ahead make fun of the guy who's different!

I guess its OK to say I'm confused, just don't say "be careful"!!! EVER!!! NEVER!!!! :evil:

Sorry Cessie - yours was the beautiful post and it sounded so much like Sunlight, that I got, well, um a TEENSY bit confused. :roll:

And I won't EVEN say a thing about the "two little balls of fire" comment... :twisted:
garden variety

Postby Jools » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:32 am

Hehe, I was gonna smack ya in the arm, Paul, and tell ya thats not sunlight, thats our Cessie!!! I thought the fog was lifted? LOL

I didn't see this post b4 I posted a Happy Thanksgiving to y'all. Cessie, it's SOOOO good to see you, girl. I kept wondering where you were. I've missed you so! So, you just made my day girlie girl!

What wonderful messages of gratitude I have the pleasure of reading this morning. It's a GREAT way to start my day. Thank you.

I, too, have been reflecting on the many blessings I have today. I feel SO good that God has answered my prayers and y'alls prayers and I can be happy, joyus and free today. I'm so happy that I didn't go put sugar in his gas tank or start the car on fire. I'm so happy I didn't follow thru with getting someone to beat him to a pulp. I can lay my head on my pillow at night knowing I did what is right. I remember waking up many a night while drinking full of guilt and remorse and I only wake up now when I hafta pee. Heh!

I have so many things to be thankful for, AA, my family, my health, my kids, my grandson, my pups, a roof over my head with heat for when it's cold, for food, a job......the list goes on and on.

Y'all taught me a lot these past three months. What a great bunch of folks you are. I love y'all more than I can say. :oops:

Blessings to you,
Julie
Jools

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:50 pm

One of the character assets one of my heroes (Samuel Johnson, the 'dictionary' man) was known for was his enormous capacity for gratitude.

The ability to feel gratitude, and to fully express it, is one of the measures I use to test my own sobriety.

At the end of the day, I often ask myself before sleeping, "What am I thankful for today?" It is a good way for me to close the book on the day just ended. And it prepares me for a new day to awaken to with gratitude.

Today is an American holiday set aside to give thanks. One of the best ways to express this may be to do something good for someone in a way that one is not found out.
Tim

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober