- Let go and let God.

Let go and let God.

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Let go and let God.

Postby dsbfaith » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:21 pm

:roll: Hi everyone.I have had a day of fighting with myself to Let go and let God. I have daughter age 35 (dry drunk/addict) acts like a 13 year old. Thank God she does not live with me anymore. Pleasee share some experience strenth and Hope. I am going to my Home Group tonight,business meeting for new commitment jobs.
dsbfaith

Postby Jools » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:34 am

Heck, girl, I'm 48 and act like a 13 yr old. :wink: I have a tendency to throw tantrums when I don't get my way, etc.

My son is 18 and actively using, I'd be thankful if he wasn't. I had to cut the cord. I had to stop allowing him to rob me of my peace and serenity. I love him and he knows I love him. He's making his choices and I have to make mine.

It's hard when it's our kids. Cuz we want to make them all better and we can't. It's like you said...let go and let God.

Sincerely,
Julie
Jools

Re: Let go and let God.

Postby garden variety » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:15 pm

dsbfaith wrote:Hi everyone.I have had a day of fighting with myself to Let go and let God.

Hi dsbfaith,

Well I don't quite understand why you're fighting with yourself, but I guess I don't even need to know why - that's because answers to "why" questions don't help me very much with any problems. But when I get to fighting with myself, and I realize it's just wasting time and my emotions, then it's time I get into action.

I remember this time when I was worrying. Now I was worrying about what happens tomorrow if she don't call me? What if she's found someone else and gonna dump me? Now the other side of me is saying you know she's gonna call you, but it's gonna be at 3:00AM. Then I got going about that $1000 that the next president is gonna send me. But that might not be until June. So why don't I take out a small loan to fix the house some more? But then I'll have to pay interest. Oh and I need to get my Jeep bodywork done, so maybe I better borrow $2000 then when the president send's me the check, I'll have money to put on the $2000, but I'll keep maybe $500 just to put in savings. So I go on and on and on and on and on and on...

Well that's when I hopefully remember that "CONSTRUCTIVE ACTION NEVER FAILS". So I get started on something that benefits someone else, but it can also benefit me some too. I probably will call my sponsor if I want to hear a long talk, or I'll call one of the other guys in my support group. That's usually when I find out that someone really needed to hear from me. Then I forget about what was worrying me, which was my girlfriend that didn't call - then she'll call while I'm talking to program buddy. So before you know it I have enough action to keep me from worrying for a good while.

That's how it works for me. So what I'm saying is when I get into taking "Constructive Action", it never fails that it helps me "let go" of whatever it was that I was holding onto that gave me grief.

God bless and welcome!
garden variety

Postby dsbfaith » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:45 pm

:idea: Thanks to everyone who replied,Last night I went to my home grp ,recieved a commitment to chair the beginners meeting. I also remember what my Sister said to me " Who did the work for your sobriey? I did. I cannot do it for my children. Peace,Db
dsbfaith

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Hey Db, nice quote from your sister!!!
Mind if I steal it?
I won't keep it -- I'll pass it around! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi DSBfaith,

I've posted this before, but I think it bears repeating.

When I was in the place you're at with my son, who's an addict, a solid member of the program said to me, "Sounds like you're having a problem with the 1st 3 steps. Where's your powerlessness? Where's your higher power? Have you REALLY turned your life & will over to the care of God?"

It was a slap in the face for me! Gradually I was able to use those 3 steps to come to a place of peace with my son.

Today, I am able to enjoy his company & if he's using, I can say that it's not good for me to be with him at this time.

My sobriety, sanity & serenity are things I can't compromise. And he seems to get it that, if I choose to not be with him, I'm doing it for me, not to hurt him.

Thanks for letting me share. :)
sunlight

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober