- Sobriety based on fear

Sobriety based on fear

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby GeoffS » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:05 pm

sunlight wrote:Oh the weasels still nip at my innards, but they don't LIVE there. :D

( Geoffs - Goodnight Vienna? )

I believe the weasels of fear nip us all from time to time. Its a normal emotion. But like you say as long as we don't them drive, and ask god's help we can make them go away.

Goodnight Vienna, what the fat lady at the opera says when she's done singing...Its all over.
GeoffS

Postby tj » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:22 pm

Hello All,

I hope that you are warm wherever you are. It is cold here in Texas. I shared my fear inventory with my Sponsor today. I learned a very important lesson for me. Fear is the alarm that tells me that I am trying to control my own life--become the Principal rather than the agent. When I am fearful, I am going to ask God to remove my fear AND remove my desire to run my own life. I'll keep you posted on how I do with that. :wink: Here's to another 24.

Manette
tj

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:06 pm

Wow! That's some super sharing above!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with our solution!
It works -- it really does! (page 88) :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:26 pm

Geoffs,

I forgot about the fat lady!

She sang for me the night of my last drunk. Maybe I need to send her a thank you card! :D

Manette,

Thank you for the alarm lesson! So those weren't just Christmas bells I was hearing? :lol:
sunlight

Postby Victor » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 am

Great Topic great shares can relate with all of you especially Paul's share fear helped me through the first few years and I keep some in my back pocket to remind myself where I was just 6 years ago and how quickly I can return to that hellish existence.

peace

vic
Victor

Re: Sobriety based on fear

Postby MitchellK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:05 am

GeoffS wrote:Went to a meeting last night that I hadn't been to for a while, good to see the same faces, and some new ones.

One of the newer members ended up sharing on how she would not drink again because she was too frightened of it getting out of control, and that she was too frightened of losing what she has and too frightened to go back where she'd been.

Does anyone know anyone who has stayed sober for a long time on this kind of philosophy?

Does it work?

Can it work?

I know my experience of from seeing many people try, but would like to hear from others.

You want to talk about living in fear and looking under the bed and in the closet for the boogey man?

Another thread talks about wine in Grey Poupon mustard. OMG – someone is going to be set off by the infinitesimal amount of wine in the recommended serving of mustard on a ham or sandwich. Even if one devours the entire jar, or even the largest size jar of mustard, there is no chance, except through the exacerbation of paranoia that one will be set off to drink. Check all your foods. Many foods or products contain alcohol in some form. Look at many ice creams – you will find liquor listed as an ingredient. Sugar alcohol is listed in many foods. Don’t even think about wearing cologne because what is infused into your pores is the alcohol.

If you are living in fear over hidden infinitesimal amounts of alcohol please, do not eat or drink anything. Scientific fact – ALL food has bacteria in and on it. Let’s say apple or orange juice is sitting in your fridge. The bacteria starts working on the sugar in the OJ and uses that sugar for food. Most bacteria are fermenters. The process of fermentation takes glucose (sugar) and through a multi-step process turns it into carbon dioxide AND alcohol. Refrigeration does not kill bacteria, it only slows down its metabolism. Anything you eat or drink that contains sugar contains some amount of alcohol. Anything containing a lot of natural sugar or starch (like fruit or corn) will, after a short period contain alcohol (more than the mustard).

I’m certainly not living in fear of drinking a glass of OJ or apple juice or putting a knife full (or two) of mustard on a piece of ham sandwich or even dashing on some very nice cologne. Such paranoia goes against everything AA teaches. A glass of OJ left on the kitchen table during breakfast has more alcohol than a full jar of mustard. I couldn’t believe the fear and paranoia in that other thread. A new freedom and a new happiness indeed. I gave up checking under my bed and in the closets and behind the doors for monsters a long time ago. Talk about living a fear based recovery life.
MitchellK

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:37 pm

I just posted the following in a different forum:

Dallas wrote:A girl who did time in a treatment center said they drank hair spray filtered through bread... when she got thursty... she skipped the bread!
Don't squeeze the freeze! :lol: :lol:

Sooner or later... we'll hear it in a meeting:

"Was sober and cooking breakfast one morning... and wondered what would happen if I sprayed some of that vegetable oil up my nose... six days later... I was still laying on the floor... squirting lines of mustard up my nose... so I drank all of the vanilla designer coffee I had... hit bottom and hit a meeting!

Moral of the story??? Stay away from fried eggs -- if you're still suffering from stinking thinking!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby garden variety » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:52 am

I read the labels on the products I buy. I avoid the ones that contain alcohol. In my life, that doesn't equate to living sobriety based on fear. If I can avoid consumption or use of alcohol, I do it. That's what you taught me to do in AA. So far it's worked to keep me sober.

I don't make judgment calls about how anyone else uses mustard or PAM or alcohol in cooking, or cooking wines, or liquor in certain French or Italian desserts, or vanilla in baking, or whatever or however another alcoholic chooses to live life or consume food or use alcohol. It's not my business to take another person's inventory, and I'd appreciate it if some of you would stop taking mine.

If you find something I post offensive, then let me know about it in a constructive way. I read what is posted, and I try to be as sensitive as I can about what I post. Sometimes I'm not appropriate. Other times it doesn't matter.

Like Dallas said somewhere along the line: "Live and let live".
garden variety

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Paul wrote:I read the labels on the products I buy. I avoid the ones that contain alcohol. In my life, that doesn't equate to living sobriety based on fear. If I can avoid consumption or use of alcohol, I do it. That's what you taught me to do in AA. So far it's worked to keep me sober.

Ditto! That's what those A-n-A'ers suggested that I do, too. :lol:

Didn't offend me. I hope I didn't offend you. Just trying to have fun and keep my life lite with a little humor. :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:06 pm

I think it may have been Mitchell's attempts at humour that may be misconstrued, he's posted similar elsewhere. I often disagree with things people on hear write, which is perfectly allowable. However their right to state it and not have it ridiculed should be similarly tolerated. ((Unless you make spelling misteaks).)?
GeoffS

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober